Viewer Comments: Insect Bites - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insect Bites:

Insect Bites - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your insect bites?

Comment from: tabby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I was bitten in Florida not sure by what but I have three bites. One is a nasty bite. They are all are seeping out sticky yellow fluid and my foot has swollen up.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

After an overnite trip, the next day I had extreme itching and redness on my scalp. It appeared first as a large bump and itched. Now the bump is gone but the itching remains with burning pain on my head.

Comment from: superstardancer, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had sharp pricks on my shoulder and freaked when I saw a bug. The bites stung and I had sharp pain. Now is just a dull aching throb and I really want to know what bit me! All I know is that it had an orange tail.

I got bitten by an insect but not sure what kind. I have no fever but my leg is painful and red patches have appeared.

Comment from: Mwuese, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I didn't see the insect that bit me, but I felt the sting and because we get a lot of ant bites in this part of the world (Nigeria), I didn't take it seriously at first. The following day, though, I have three boils with a lot of itching and pain. The swellings increased in size and the biting pain increased. After two days I went to the pharmacy and got drugs for such bites. What scared me though was that when I tried squeezing the boils, something white came out and was moving, like larvae! I felt very weak earlier on and my head hurts. I would like to know the insect that causes this.

Comment from: Sadie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I was bitten on the hand twice by a wasp or a hornet. My hand is swollen and rather tight. It itches quite a bit, but I have no open wounds.

Comment from: MMXG, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Through one of those youthful lapses in judgment type situations with my partner in a forest, I was bitten by some type of small black ant on the genital area. At first I just had a small red bite mark that faded after a couple days. It has now been a week, and near the bite I have multiple red dots and just found a burst blood vessel nearby as well. I'm very concerned, but uncomfortable with the idea of a male doctor poking around my genitals, but also uncomfortable asking for a female.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

I had pain on the side of my abdomen from an unknown insect. When I looked in the mirror, I saw 2 small dots that look like bite marks.

Comment from: teacher23, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Extreme itching and numerous bites on my arms, neck, and legs.

Comment from: NH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I received a bit on the back of my neck while working in the yard. It made a red welt that has not healed in over a week. I have treated it with hydrocortisone.

Comment from: 7-12 Female Published: April 27

I've had this bite for a few days now. It's a dark pink, smallish round circle. It's extremely irritating and fairly itchy. At first I thought it was just a weird mosquito bite, but now I'm not so sure...

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I don't know what kind of bug bit me, but I have swelling, redness, itchiness, numbness, and tingling in extremity affected.

Must Read Articles Related to Insect Bites

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Bedbugs
Bedbugs Bedbugs are blood-sucking parasites that feed on mammals and birds. Symptoms and signs of bedbug bites include reddish-colored skin lesions and localized itchin...learn more >>
Bee and Wasp Stings
Bee and Wasp Stings Although many different types of insects in the United States are able to inflict a poisonous bite or sting (meaning they are venomous), the insects most likely...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insect Bites:

Insect Bites - Experience

Please describe your experience with insect bites.

Insect Bites - Treatment

What was the treatment for your insect bites?