Insomnia Medical Therapies
Insomnia from shift changes
- Behavioral therapy has been useful in modifying the
insomnia and symptoms of sleep deprivation in shift workers.
- A person should shift their schedules forward in a
clockwise direction, from days to evening, then evenings to night shift, and allow sufficient
time to adapt (at least one week) between shift changes.
- Bright light is a potent stimulus to circadian
rhythm. Bright light is being examined as a rhythm synchronizer.
- Shift workers should stress the importance of good sleep habits with regular bedtime and awakening.
- Supplemental naps may be necessary to ensure work
- Discuss the use of naps with a doctor.
- Some people promote using short-acting sedatives in the first few days following a shift change, but not everyone agrees.
Insomnia from Acute Stresses
- Stress may be positive or negative, and concerns
about sleep may vary. Many stressors will go away with support and
- Education about the importance of good sleep habits
is also helpful.
- Some people may need short-term treatment with
medications. A doctor will often work toward the lowest
effective dose with a short-acting
sedative to achieve proper sleep.
Must Read Articles Related to Insomnia
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea
There are two types of sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and central sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as st...learn more >>
Primary insomnia is sleeplessness that cannot be attributed to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause (such as drug abuse or medications). Treatment may...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia: