Viewer Comments: Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

Please describe your effective treatments with insomnia.

Comment from: Reb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have dealt with insomnia off and on for the last ten years. There are times when I will get less than four hours in as many days. It was especially difficult in my late 20s, and it seems to be slowing a bit now in my 30s. My husband and I agree that whenever I get tired, I SLEEP. Even if it's one in the afternoon. The idea of forcing myself to get up is ludicrous, as it doesn't help at all in going to sleep the next night. I will say that the pattern I recognized awhile back is that it seems to be the most prevalent right before my menstrual cycle. For years I told various nurses/doctors of this, and they all say "oh, that has nothing to do with it." This is the first place I've ever seen anything hormonal listed as a cause, even if it is menopause...at least now I know I'm probably not crazy, and there may be a link after all. Best wishes to all on a good night's rest.

Comment from: khym3226, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

For the past month I have had trouble falling asleep. There is a lot going on in my life and so I think it's because of stress. I stay up until 11am-12pm in the days and only manage to sleep for 2 hours in the days. I realize also that my back aches so badly and no matter how much I sleep my back is never rested. I am unable to focus properly and I'm usually zoned out when someone is talking to me. Also I think I have difficulty remembering sometimes. I feel extremely weak and worried about my health. Insomnia is a very serious illness and I wish more people were aware of it.

Comment from: lisa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have been having trouble sleeping since this past summer. I can stay awake until 7 or 10 in the morning. I can stay up all night. I try really hard to fall asleep, but it just doesn't work. I take sleep meds, which sort of work, but I want to stop taking them and just sleep like I used to. Insomnia is the worst. I feel like I'm being tortured by this condition.

Comment from: DrugsDontWork, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Firstly, I would like to say that if taking 4-6 deep breaths is all you need to get off to sleep, then you do NOT have insomnia!!! I have tried everything from prescription sleeping tablets to cannabis. The doctors in the UK are absolutely rubbish at dealing with insomniac patients. Mostly they sprout patronizing sleep hygiene garbage. Do you really think I haven't tried all that years ago? I am fairly certain that my problem is psychological and stress/anxiety related, but after therapy, yoga and a variety of healthy and appropriate life style changes I am still in the throes of insomnia. I have had this for six years and counting. I am now pregnant, so I avoid using cannabis, which is the only thing that has had a measure of success for me. Unlike legal prescription drugs, it enables me to fall asleep within a reasonable amount of time (about half an hour) and allows for a good night's sleep without the horrible side effects that I have suffered from prescription drugs!!! Let's not forget that sleeping tablets are less effective each time you use them so the dosages have to be increased. Sleeping pills like leave you feeling drugged the next day like there's a heavy fog smothering the brain and not to mention the awful taste in the mouth that no amount of brushing or otherwise will remove. I can categorically state that sleeping tablets do not enable a refreshing sleep and the following day is always hard work. Basically they don't work! I would prefer not to resort to illegal activities to be able to sleep, but anyone who has genuinely experienced sleep deprivation will understand.

Comment from: NewSleeper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was a heavy prescription user for quite a long time. When I started to build a tolerance and it took more and more meds to help me sleep, I decided it was time to tackle the problem head on. I weaned myself off of the meds over a period of about 2 months and had some really long nights. I then started to use a natural sleep aid and found that after I got the meds out of my system, the natural sleep aid worked very well for getting me to sleep. I'm still working on the staying asleep part, but am confident that it will work.

Comment from: wideawake, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

A small suggestion: Sometimes it helps to relax the body by taking 4-6 deep breaths. Exhale slowly while trying to fall asleep - sometimes this does wonders.

Comment from: ericm, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

Over the past 20 to 25 years I have suffered from chronic insomnia of which gradually gets worse as time goes on. For the past three and a half years I have been unable to work due to lack of energy, depression and anxiety. I have seen many people over the years and have tried the majority of the prescribed drugs available. The specialist that I am now seeing has given up on the tablets as they do not work for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Insomnia

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Apnea (Obstructive and Central)
Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea There are two types of sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and central sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as st...learn more >>
Primary Insomnia
Primary Insomnia Primary insomnia is sleeplessness that cannot be attributed to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause (such as drug abuse or medications). Treatment may...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insomnia.

Insomnia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your insomnia?

Insomnia - Causes

What caused your insomnia?