Viewer Comments: Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

Please describe your effective treatments with insomnia.

Comment from: Martha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My mother developed insomnia during menopause, and she suffered with it until she passed away last year. Now before I went into menopause, I also developed it at age 47. I am now 60 years old and the insomnia that I developed is now chronic. Nothing over the counter worked, not even the meds the doctors gave me.

Comment from: nancy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 11

I have had severe insomnia for 2 years, lesser in past years. Now I hardly ever sleep at all, even with prescription sleeping pills my doctor has prescribed. I tried the 'sleep deprivation" cd which did nothing for me.

Comment from: Lony1025, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

My effective treatments include Neosporin for pulled muscles physical therapy for constant headaches Robaxin and Lorazepam for muscle tension and Ambien for insomnia and all of these treatments should help with insomnia.

Comment from: Sara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Praying and clearing my mind of negative and or stress provoking thoughts helps me. Also, turning off the TV. helps. Prescription drugs can become bad habits, and aren't good for you.

Comment from: Liza, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I had problems falling asleep and spent at least two hours each night twisting and turning in bed. I think the problems started after a period in college when I had a huge paper to do combined with exams coming up. I got help from a psychologist who was trained in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). In the treatment the focus was on changing your habits associated with sleeping. I wasn't allowed to do anything but sleep in my bed and I was told only restrict my time in bed to the hours I really slept. It was like magic. After two weeks it only took me fifteen minutes to fall asleep. Therapy can be a bit costly, but it was really worth it. If you're on a tight budget I would recommend self-help books with CBT-treatment for sleeping disorders.

Must Read Articles Related to Insomnia

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Apnea (Obstructive and Central)
Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea There are two types of sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and central sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as st...learn more >>
Primary Insomnia
Primary Insomnia Primary insomnia is sleeplessness that cannot be attributed to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause (such as drug abuse or medications). Treatment may...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insomnia.

Insomnia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your insomnia?

Insomnia - Causes

What caused your insomnia?