Viewer Comments: Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

Please describe your effective treatments with insomnia.

Comment from: DavidA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

For years I have had trouble falling and staying asleep or wakening and unable to fall back asleep. I have a particularly stressful job and I would change my circumstance if I could afford to do so, but that's not happening anytime soon. I am a coffee drinker and though I have quit and resumed many times, I never found that avoiding caffeine helped my issue. I also have mild depression and these days have had success in minimizing it. I take OTC antihistamine to help me fall asleep, and that works 80% of the time, but there are times where nothing seems to help. I have tried everything from prescriptions to melatonin supplements. Even recently I had a pulled muscle where the hydro-codeine painkiller could not even help me fall asleep. When I awake in the night I have mentioned jokingly to coworkers that the "committee" called a meeting to discuss all things worrisome.

Comment from: BlueWren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

For my insomnia, my doctor prescribed Ambien CR. It was not a good choice for me. The next morning, I would find food in my bed, peanut butter in my hair and an overturned glass of juice. I had no memory of how it got there. My boyfriend told me of my strange activities, but I had no recollection of doing it. So, one night he video-taped me and showed me the tape the next morning. I was in shock. I talked to him while he was taping, but my sentences made no sense and were rambling. I seemed oblivious to the fact that he was holding a video recorder. After that, I tossed the Ambien down the toilet and never took it again. I took the medication as directed. I was in bed when I took the Ambien with a glass of water and immediately lay in bed. During the night, I would get up and "feast" on whatever I could find. One night, he stopped me before I could leave the house in my pajamas with car keys in hand. Some people may tolerate Ambien, but for me it was a "nightmare". My cousin's friend was taking Ambien and he woke up with his car wrapped around a light pole, in his underwear, with no recollection of how he got there. Luckily, he only sustained minor cuts and bruises, but he could have been killed. He stopped taking Ambien, too. It's not for everybody, and certainly not me.

Comment from: Patrick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I have had issues with sleeping for years. The more I couldn't sleep the more stressed I became the worse it became. I just refused prescription medication (on enough already for a thyroid condition) so tried all the usual tips i.e. don't drink coffee within 5 hours, make sure your bed is for sleeping not responding to e-mails etc (guilty!) Anyway not sure how much that did or didn't help. In the end I bought a light therapy device from Australia and it made a big difference to my situation.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have never had difficulty sleeping. I was recently hospitalized with bacterial pneumonia. I didn't sleep well in the hospital because they kept waking me. Upon returning home, I can't sleep, not even a nap. I feel tired. The doctor finally prescribed 5 mg of Ambien but it's not working.

Comment from: Danni, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

For the last few years I have suffered insomnia on and off. I am also bipolar which I know can affect it. But lately I am finding when I am really tired but unable to sleep (3am) I feel like I have insects crawling all over my body. When I went to a doctor about this the first thing he asked is what "party" drugs do I take. I have never taken drugs in my life. But this feeling of being covered in bugs from no sleep is creeping me out. During the day I am fine, I can function properly at my job but as soon as night hits, no matter how tired I am, nothing I do can make me sleep. People think that insomnia is just lack of sleep. In the last few years I have learnt that it is so much more. It screws with your head, moods and in my case my job. All I want is a goodnights sleep!

Comment from: Joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am 65 years old, farmer by profession, always been an early riser, not ridiculously early, but not a late sleeper. Now all of a sudden, I don't have too much trouble falling asleep, in fact feel tired all the time. Can only sleep for 4 hours a night maximum and then awake like it's time to get up but it is 2am!!! I try to stay awake until 10pm every night. Have tried staying awake till 12 midnight and then awake at 4am. Just feel tired all the time, driving especially dangerous at certain times. Have been taking tranquilizers, and then sleep for 12 hours, that feels so cool the next day, because I feel rested and don't yawn all day like now, but stay off the pills, I am not a pill man, run about a kilo every second day, do certain exercises to keep firm, don't smoke, but just feel I need more sleep!!

Comment from: Scientist, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I developed a chronic insomnia in my late 20s, at the time it was caused by lots of stress at work. It mostly manifested in waking up in the middle of the night and then falling asleep half an hour before my alarm went off. Quite often I would not get a good sleep for six days in a row, which was very hard. The treatment that did work was regular workout. Three times a week, either swimming, running, or martial arts. The moment I stop my workouts, all insomnia problems hit back at me. In this discussion thread, I noticed that nobody mentions exercise as a treatment. Is it because it does not work for other people or they forgot to try?

Must Read Articles Related to Insomnia

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Apnea (Obstructive and Central)
Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea There are two types of sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and central sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as st...learn more >>
Primary Insomnia
Primary Insomnia Primary insomnia is sleeplessness that cannot be attributed to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause (such as drug abuse or medications). Treatment may...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your insomnia?

Insomnia - Causes

What caused your insomnia?

Insomnia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insomnia.