Viewer Comments: Insomnia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insomnia.

Comment from: Dazed, 55-64 Female Published: July 06

I am a 58 year od female, and have had insomnia for approx 3 years. Sometimes I don't have a problem falling asleep, but only sleep for 2 hours and awake the remainder of the night. I try sleeping in another bedroom, does not always help. Other times I feel sleepy, but cannot fall asleep and may get 1-1/2 light sleep. The following day I feel tired and feel as if I could sleep. I have no energy, bad memory, still no problem with eating. I have tried herbal teas, melatonin (made systoms worst)over the counter sleeping aids, at present I am trying megasure, only 2 days now. Hope this helps. Sometimes I feel as if I'm losing my mind, and walk around in a daze all day. I avoid sleeping during the day so I can sleep at night, doesn't seem to help.

Comment from: Endless Nightmares, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I suffer from chronic insomnia. I am a 59 year old female. I have nightmares every night, sometimes 2 or 3. My psychiatrist prescribed Saphris which she said would also help with my depression (I am bipolar). That stuff whacked me out of this world. She is now prescribing me Ambien and with my nightmares I am afraid to take it. I am tired all the time. I never feel rested. I fall asleep fast and then in a couple of hours I am awake. I am spiritual and I exercise and eat well.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I'm in my mid-60s and suffer from severe insomnia for more than 15 years. I've been on-and-off prescribed medications and have tried everything else to fall asleep, and nothing seems to help.

Comment from: ummate, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 24 years old and I am tired all the time because I can never get enough rest.

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 65 year old Female and have approximately 3 hours of sleep a night. I have tried herbal teas and over the counter sleeping aids(which make me feel worse) for my insomnia. I am in good health otherwise but feel tired all the time. The more I try to sleep the less sleep I get. I cannot sleep during the day either. I am angry and depressed most of the time because of the lack of sleep.

Must Read Articles Related to Insomnia

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Apnea (Obstructive and Central)
Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea There are two types of sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and central sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as st...learn more >>
Primary Insomnia
Primary Insomnia Primary insomnia is sleeplessness that cannot be attributed to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause (such as drug abuse or medications). Treatment may...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

Please describe your effective treatments with insomnia.

Insomnia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your insomnia?

Insomnia - Causes

What caused your insomnia?