Viewer Comments: Insomnia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insomnia.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been treated for anxiety and depression for the last 17 years or so and have been taking medication. Like my mother, I also have RLS (restless leg) and I take Requip. I either cannot fall asleep right away or stay asleep anymore and my legs are so jumpy I have to get out of bed. It is now 3:20 AM EST and I have yet to fall asleep. I went to bed at 11:30 PM tonight. There will be times that I sleep for a couple of hours in four days or more. Very tiring and frustrating. I blacked out recently which does concern me. I have no medical insurance so therefore tests are out of the question.

Comment from: Rambud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I have been suffering Insomnia for over 30 years now and I am at my wits end as to what to do now. I have had two sleep studies done and they both said that I have sleep apnea. I have been given the machine to use to alleviate my condition but after two months of use the machine has not helped. I have discontinued its use. I have tried all sorts of medication--both prescription and herbal. They work for a week or two and then either I have to increase the dosage or try something new. I do not know what to do.

Comment from: sandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

My doctor put me on Seroquel XR 150 mg, it worked for a month. I went to a psychologist, and he gave me 200 mg Trazodone and 8 mg Romeron. None of these are working. I made an appointment with a sleep clinic tomorrow. The doctor had put me on so many depression medications and they all stopped working.

Related Reading: Trazodone

Comment from: TJCraftyWitch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Well I have suffered from insomnia for 25 years or so. I have had it since I was a kid. I use to just say I am a night owl. Which I am, but unless I am exhausted I cannot go to sleep, will toss and turn for hours. My mind just won't shut down. I sleep, but wake up throughout the night. Very rarely do I sleep the night through without waking up. I usually get 5-6 hours of sleep, on occasion less. This happens 3-4 nights a week, and then my body totally crashes and I will sleep for approximately 12 hours and still feel like I didn't get enough sleep.

Comment from: Dahaca8, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

I am a 20 year old male who has recently found that has insomnia. I can't sleep almost all night until I finally fall asleep around the early hours of the day but only for 3 to 4 hours max. Then I'm awake again. I haven't tried medication yet as this has only been going on for a few weeks just realizing I can't sleep like I used to. Maybe it's cause I work during the night, I'm not sure but it is exhausting I want it to stop!

Comment from: sleepless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have had insomnia for about 15 years. Of late, it is getting worse. I am not sleeping more than five hours and am unable to sleep without medication. I never seem to be tired but wish I could sleep for longer. I have suffered from depression in the past and have been on medication. About three months ago I decided to stop taking all the medication I was taking and reduce down to just taking a sleeping pill. This has left me with even less sleep. I hate being on all the pills but am starting to wonder if should go back to taking the antidepressants again. This is the first time I have decided to look into this myself. I am feeling very frustrated at present as I have been looking at the clock since about 5am.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: January 06

I am a 35 years old with a 6 months old baby. I have been having sleeping problems since I got pregnant, but my condition seems to have worsened. I can't sleep and I do not think I have any stress. I told my GP and he gave me Halcion. It helps me but for a short period, I still wake up in the middle of the night without sleep. I need to consult but not sure if I should see a GP or a psychiatrist. This has been going on for more than a year now and it's getting worse. I know that I need serious help!

Comment from: AnnieS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Insomnia began 30years ago during a period of extreme stress. It has been relentless. I have been evaluated in a sleep lab and diagnosed with "severe chronic insomnia." I have tried everything, but at this point, I'm starting to think all is lost.

Must Read Articles Related to Insomnia

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Sleep Apnea (Obstructive and Central)
Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea There are two types of sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and central sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as st...learn more >>
Primary Insomnia
Primary Insomnia Primary insomnia is sleeplessness that cannot be attributed to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause (such as drug abuse or medications). Treatment may...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia:

Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

Please describe your effective treatments with insomnia.

Insomnia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your insomnia?

Insomnia - Causes

What caused your insomnia?