Viewer Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insulin Resistance:

Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

Comment from: Kimmie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

When I was very young, my neck was dark where it had an oily appearance; it look like I was wearing a dark collar around my neck. I was chubby during years in elementary school. I did not know that diabetes was on my mother's side of the family until I was older, followed by heart disease. My mother died at the age of 56 when she had a cardiac arrest, and kidney disease. Now, I'm taking good care of myself by taking my medications, my insulin, and doing some walking exercises. I don't want to meet the same fate like my mother had done.

Comment from: Mom, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

We discovered my daughter's insulin resistance in the strangest way. My daughter was FINALLY diagnosed with this at the age of 19 after we read a magazine article where she had all of the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) except one. Then her gynecologist discovered two baseball sized cysts on one of her ovaries. The sad part is that we've been trying to find out what was 'wrong' with her since she was a toddler. She gained 3 pounds the 1st two weeks after she was born on breast milk, and continued to gain weight at an alarming rate for the next 19 years. She ate the same food as our other two children, and in smaller quantities than our son, but gained weight no matter what we did. We tried every medically approved 'diet' with no success; she either gained weight on them or only lost 2-3 pounds in a 6-month period. When she was about 10, her doctor sent blood to a lab in another state after the local tests revealed no problems. I don't even remember how many thyroid tests were done. All of her blood work comes back 'inconclusive' and her numbers are just barely inside the normal ranges. The dark patches of skin at the base of her neck, on her knuckles, and on the inside of her legs were never even investigated, even after I made her neck bleed once trying to get her neck 'clean'. When we read the magazine article that sounded as if it had been written about my daughter, we realized that in all of the blood work done over the years, we had never seen a result for her insulin level. When I contacted her doctor, the nurse told me that checking insulin levels is not part of the 'complete' blood work they did about every 6 months. They agreed to test her insulin levels, and discovered her level was 3 times the normal; her # was 67, with normal range between 3 and 20. She has been on 2,000 mg a day of metformin since then (she is now 27), and her levels still range between 25 and 35. The weight gain has stopped, but she cannot seem to lose weight no matter what she tries. It really frustrates us that if this problem had been discovered when she was a child a lot of misery could have been avoided.

Related Reading: thyroid | metformin

Comment from: Itt, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I'm a senior in high school and was diagnosed with insulin resistance in my freshman year. I have skin tags on my neck and very bad acanthosis nigricans (“a darkening and thickening of the skin”) on my neck and other areas of my body. I've been living with it and trying to get it under control for four years now, but it's hard. I have never had “healthy” eating habits, and I don't exercise as much as I should. I don't really have the motivation. Well, I haven't had it. Now that I'm getting ready to graduate high school and enter “the real world,” I'm more motivated to eat healthier and start working out. But it's not easy with the temptations. In fact, it's very difficult, being that I have very little self-control. Just today I bought one of those zebra cakes because it looked so good. It's hard, but I'm trying!

I knew for some time that I had a problem with how things were metabolizing in my body. It was my perception that no matter WHAT I did as far as exercise and diet, I either did not LOSE weight, or I gained weight. My thyroid has been "checked" endlessly to no avail. I would get woozy and extremely grumpy if I hadn't eaten in a while. I knew I had a blood sugar issue. My grandmother died from complications of diabetes. I had to get someone to listen to me. My gynecologist finally did and referred me to a bariatric doctor. He reviewed blood tests he had ordered and my history. He interviewed me and asked me questions that seemed odd, but ultimately he got the information out of me he needed. He said I was insulin resistant and had metabolic syndrome. He prescribed a low glycemic diet, a pedometer for keeping track of steps (and knowing to increase them), and he prescribed Metformin. In five weeks, I had learned how to control my intake of carbs, increase my exercise levels, and, most importantly, lost 8 pounds. I still crave bread and pasta, but I can control it. With the idea not of "I can't have that", but "I can have a little." Pasta can become a side dish and not the main (and whole course). Bread intake can be reduced to one slice and quite frankly, 7-grain or 9-grain bread is quite tasty. I'm on my way to a healthier me.

Comment from: dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and I am on Victozsa 1.8 however I had to times where I completely blacked out and the last time I was in a severe accident, thank God it was not with another car or person, but it was bad. The doctor is trying now to find out if my sugar when way down or is it something else like something to do with the brain I am not overweight I eat healthy, but I do have a lot of stress.

Comment from: Steve in Socal, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance at age 35 (last year) after experiencing symptoms of hypoglycemia such as lack of energy and feeling like I was going to pass out between breakfast and lunch. Diagnosis was through a multi-hour fasting blood sugar test. Additional symptoms included intense hunger, feeling cold at times, balance issues when walking and fatty liver. I have managed the condition over the last year primarily with diet including eating more frequently and trying to always mix protein with my carbs and eliminating alcohol intake.

Must Read Articles Related to Insulin Resistance

High Cholesterol and Children
Cholesterol and Children High cholesterol is a risk factor for coronary heart disease in adults, but some children may be at risk for premature coronary heart disease if they have high ...learn more >>
Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insulin Resistance:

Insulin Resistance - Diet

What changes to your diet have helped manage your insulin resistance?