Viewer Comments: Interstitial Cystitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Interstitial Cystitis:

Interstitial Cystitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with interstitial cystitis.

Comment from: mainelykk58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I began my experience with interstitial cystitis with awful and extreme pain in my lower pelvic area. The pain became so bad that I could not do any simple household chores or complete sentences. I was first sent to my urologist where a cystoscopy was performed. Then I was put on medications including, Hydroxyzine, Elmiron, Levsin SL and Flexeril. This slightly relieved my pain but not enough to make me feel I was still among the living. I then was sent to a pain specialist where they went over my test results and spoke to many of my doctors. I have had Crohn's disease, chronic fatigue, osteoarthritis and thyroid disease for many years. I was told that this interstitial cystitis was part of an auto-immune disease grouping that many people get. It's as if your body is attacking itself, thinking good cells and tissue are bad and trying to destroy them. But of course, there are no bad cells or tissues, and my good tissues are being destroyed in this process. I would greatly urge anyone with this to be seen by as many doctors as possible for the ultimate in medication coverage. Then one must see a pain specialist to be given the most amount of pain relief medication possible without making a zombie out of you. With these things being done you will not be cured, but you will be able to “live” a better, more enjoyable life.

Related Reading: Hydroxyzine | thyroid

Comment from: IC PAIN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

IC Disease is sooooo painful!!!! Doctors and People do not realize how this 24/7 pain takes over your life! I have been on Norco 10 mg 6-10 a day! IT is not working! Dr gave me fetanyl 25mg with oxycodone 5 mg. Had to take 6 oxycodone until fetanyl patch kicked in after 12 hours. Felt relief for 1 day then pain was worse than I could ever imagine! Screamed in agony! Going to Dr Tomorrow for Oxycotin 10mg and fetanyl patch 50mg. I had urethra sling surgery. Do not do this, it is very painful. Had it removed 1 year later. Afraid of any surgery. No cure for IC. HELP!

Related Reading: oxycodone

Comment from: jodi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 23 year old university student who has dealt with IC for over 4 years. I was desperate to try anything to help since I was usually up at night anywhere from 10-24 times (ended up with severe insomnia as a result) and often had to make up to 42 trips to the bathroom during the day. I had to drop out of university and could hardly work. I tried everything from distentions, oral medications, instillations, and even some experimental medications. I was on a strict diet and using acupuncture to alleviate the pain (which surprisingly helped). After 2 years of no relief in sight, I had the sacral nerve stimulator implanted (which wasn't easy or pleasant, but worth it) and have since been enjoying a more normal life since! I still have had to watch my diet and avoid things like alcohol, but life is much more enjoyable.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Interstitial Cystitis:

Interstitial Cystitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your interstitial cystitis?

Interstitial Cystitis - Diet

What changes to your diet have helped manage your interstitial cystitis?

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Effective Treatment

Did you use medications, lifestyle changes, stress reduction, supplements, or a combination of treatments for your chronic fatigue syndrome? What was most helpful?