Viewer Comments: Iritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Iritis:

Iritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your iritis?

Comment from: Virginia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Not very helpful I'm afraid but I have had iritis on and off from the age of nine and now I'm 60. Every time I've had it, the symptoms have been very different. I was told many years ago because it was very bad that when I get it I must be at the hospital within 48 hours. Dramatic I know but this condition can be very serious.

Comment from: Ron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I get Iritis frequently because of a very rare disorder I have called Cogan's Syndrome.

Comment from: Jeffroed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I am 54 and diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis 12 years ago. I got iritis and thought it was pink eye. I wasted a week using antibiotic and over the counter drops. I was just prescribed steroid drops and that is working. Ibuprofen helps tremendously. Getting old isn't for sissies!!!

Related Reading: Ibuprofen

Comment from: crohns patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have Crohn's disease and have never had iritis until now. I went to the CVS minute clinic thinking I had pink eye and they then sent me to the ER. My eye was only slightly red, mostly at the top, under the eyelid. I have soreness to touch and behind the socket. I have been using prednisone drops for four days and they do not yet seem to be working.

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: Shashank, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

The first time I was affected with iritis was in 1990. It started recurring-one or the other eye every 2 years and later every 6 months. Steroidal (eye drops) treatment was given by the ophthalmologist every time. Then after the last time in 2008, it stopped for four years. I thought I was free from the affliction then it reappeared again in 2012. In 1982 doctors had diagnosed me with ankylosing spondylosis, but I overcame this problem with regular yoga exercises.

Comment from: semplesimon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been battling what my ophthalmologist describes as herpes of the eye (left only) and iritis for two years now and am getting very discouraged as they cannot eradicate it.

Comment from: Relieved, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had iritis three times previously every ten years. I had the feeling of grit in my eye when there was none. Then the pain became unbearable with extreme sensitivity to light and redness that continued to worsen. One of these times I a cortisone shot in my eye. As soon as I got cortisone the pain was relieved. I have it now after 15 years and I had blurring of vision and soreness around the outer orbit of my eye. When I got to my eye doctor he said that I had caught it early. I was so thankful that I didn't have that extreme pain.

Related Reading: cortisone

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

When I had iritis, I felt as if my eyeball had been taken out and kicked around as it was so tender and painful. My eye was partly closed, photophobic, and very red and watery.

Comment from: Christy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

When I had iritis, I had sensitivity to light, eye pain and redness.

Comment from: Vonny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have pain in the eye to touch when rubbing it. Light sensitivity as well as pain in my back and neck, I also feel very "hung over" and tired as well as cranky. I haven't had it for 5 years but it was so severe back then I had to have injections of steroids around the eye it just kept flaring up.

Must Read Articles Related to Iritis

Eye Injuries
Eye Injuries Eye injuries range from the very minor, such as getting soap in the eye, to the catastrophic, resulting in permanent loss of vision. Treatment of eye injuries d...learn more >>
Eye Pain
Eye Pain Eye pain has many causes, signs, symptoms, and treatments. It's also described as pain behind the eye, eye socket pain, or shooting pain in the eye. Headaches a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Iritis:

Iritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Iritis?