Irritable Bowel Syndrome (cont.)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Self-Care at Home
Many people may have already modified their diets before seeing a doctor. Temporarily avoiding dairy products may help assess whether symptoms of lactose intolerance are mimicking those of irritable bowel syndrome. Persons who avoid dairy products should exercise and consider taking
- Certain foods, such as cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts) and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness.
- Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.
- Individuals with IBS should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may
cause gas and abdominal discomfort.
- Eating smaller meals may lessen the incidence of cramping and diarrhea.
- Low fat and high carbohydrate meals such as pasta, rice, and whole grain
breads may help IBS symptoms (unless the affected individual has
Must Read Articles Related to Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Flatulance (gas) is a normal bodily function. Excess gas may be produced by swallowing excess air, problems in the breakdown of undigested foods, lactase defici...learn more >>
With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome: