Viewer Comments: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Symptoms

What are your irritable bowel syndrome symptoms?

Comment from: lee, 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 06

When I was 58 I started having 5-6 bouts of diarrhea a day. No Pain, just diarrhea. I am now 74 and it is still the same. So far, all a doctor says is, "Oh you have IBS". I guess they just don't care. One did say it is probably caused by an infection in the bowels, but didn't do anything about it. Anything I eat or drink sets it off.

Comment from: WillingToKickIBS, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with gastroenteritis when I was 19. Thereafter I had a 4 year long stressful/anxious period during which the symptoms of IBS stared to show. I wasn't even aware that I had IBS. But irregular bowel habits had begun and I thought that they would just go away someday. After 6 years of these symptoms I finally visited a doctor and he diagnosed me with IBS. Allopathic medicines like Lomotil do help. I take them before traveling or when I am having an 'attack', but I am not a believer in long term allopathic treamtment since there are lot of side effects. I have found that walking regularly helps. Currently I am taking homeopathic treatment and it is helpful to a large extent. IBS puts a lot of fear of traveling. Whenever I go to any unknown location the first thing I want make sure is that there is access to a toilet. That really sucks. But my condition has improved in the last couple of years. I am into year 8 of this condition now but I am hoping that things will get better.

Comment from: Rene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had IBS for several years but the last two to three it has changed to vomiting. My gastro doctor has diagnosed this as IBS.

Comment from: Carolyn46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am 46 and have had IBS since my early 20s. It has gotten worse and much more severe. I have cramping, diarrhea, sweating, and pain. It is worse than childbirth. I am usually doubled over on the bathroom floor four to five hours at a time. I know better than to consume caffeine or eat fried foods, and these are my main triggers. Stress is also a huge factor. Sometimes the least little thing can trigger an episode. It has gotten more severe with age. I wish I could find some relief.

Comment from: judie m., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have suffered with IBS from the age of 19 soon after my gallbladder was removed. I am now 53 years old. I have chronic diarrhea severe intestinal cramping and nausea and vomiting at least four to five days a week. This has definitely interfered with my quality of life. I have had several colonoscopies because of the severity of my symptoms and have been told that it's "only" IBS.

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 68 years old and I suffered with IBS for 19 years, having as many as six bouts per week and tried every medicine, diet, and even been in IBS study. I finally found a doctor to work with me and let me try Premarin. It was the miracle I was praying for. It has been two months and so far I am perfectly normal.

Comment from: Mrs.Mercer, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

My symptoms started in 2011. They were just flu like symptoms with severe pain in my stomach and vomiting. I've been watching what I eat and when I go to the bathroom nothing seems too abnormal. I've seen a GI specialist and had lots of test run including a colonoscopy, but they keep saying nothing wrong. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I know it's not normal to be in this much pain. I'm only 22 years old and have two small children. I have an attack at least once a month and it gets so bad I can't get off my bathroom floor because I'm in so much pain.

Comment from: Madison, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have been diagnosed with IBS after many tests. My primary symptom is severe bloating.

Comment from: Gubbie11, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have severe cramping in my lower abdomen. This pain doubles me over. After a few hours, I will finally pass some stool and this will relieve the pain. I'll have frequent periods of severe diarrhea about one hour after eating my three daily meals. I am a slow eater and do not overeat but even an English muffin with butter can cause a bad morning. The pain is intense and causes me to break out in a sweat. I've tried everything but seem to be unable to help myself.

Must Read Articles Related to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Flatulence (Gas)
Flatulence (Gas) Flatulance (gas) is a normal bodily function. Excess gas may be produced by swallowing excess air, problems in the breakdown of undigested foods, lactase defici...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your irritable bowel syndrome established?