Viewer Comments: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS):

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Symptoms

What are your irritable bowel syndrome symptoms?

Comment from: joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I acquired irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) 3 years after treatment for lung cancer. I have a swollen stomach and all the normal horrible symptoms associated with IBS, including when I have a bowel movement I have to visit the toilet 2 or 3 times to clean myself up again.

Comment from: 1shasta, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I have always had abdominal issues most my life. However, recently I have had alternating diarrhea with pain and constipation. The pain initially was terrible. I would be doubled over and then after unable to walk around. The cause could be stress since my sister and I had to put our parents in a home because my dad has dementia. My sister has high blood pressure recently and I got this horrible abdominal problem. The pain has gotten somewhat better but the diarrhea persists.

Comment from: Ocean girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I used to be able to eat pasta all the time, but since I developed IBS, I can eat large amounts of ferrara cappellini (pasta) as thin spaghetti with no problem. If I eat even small amounts of regular pasta macaroni now, I get horrible intestinal cramps and bad diarrhea.

Comment from: lee, 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 06

When I was 58 I started having 5-6 bouts of diarrhea a day. No Pain, just diarrhea. I am now 74 and it is still the same. So far, all a doctor says is, "Oh you have IBS". I guess they just don't care. One did say it is probably caused by an infection in the bowels, but didn't do anything about it. Anything I eat or drink sets it off.

Comment from: WillingToKickIBS, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with gastroenteritis when I was 19. Thereafter I had a 4 year long stressful/anxious period during which the symptoms of IBS stared to show. I wasn't even aware that I had IBS. But irregular bowel habits had begun and I thought that they would just go away someday. After 6 years of these symptoms I finally visited a doctor and he diagnosed me with IBS. Allopathic medicines like Lomotil do help. I take them before traveling or when I am having an 'attack', but I am not a believer in long term allopathic treamtment since there are lot of side effects. I have found that walking regularly helps. Currently I am taking homeopathic treatment and it is helpful to a large extent. IBS puts a lot of fear of traveling. Whenever I go to any unknown location the first thing I want make sure is that there is access to a toilet. That really sucks. But my condition has improved in the last couple of years. I am into year 8 of this condition now but I am hoping that things will get better.

Comment from: Rene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had IBS for several years but the last two to three it has changed to vomiting. My gastro doctor has diagnosed this as IBS.

Comment from: Carolyn46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am 46 and have had IBS since my early 20s. It has gotten worse and much more severe. I have cramping, diarrhea, sweating, and pain. It is worse than childbirth. I am usually doubled over on the bathroom floor four to five hours at a time. I know better than to consume caffeine or eat fried foods, and these are my main triggers. Stress is also a huge factor. Sometimes the least little thing can trigger an episode. It has gotten more severe with age. I wish I could find some relief.

Comment from: judie m., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have suffered with IBS from the age of 19 soon after my gallbladder was removed. I am now 53 years old. I have chronic diarrhea severe intestinal cramping and nausea and vomiting at least four to five days a week. This has definitely interfered with my quality of life. I have had several colonoscopies because of the severity of my symptoms and have been told that it's "only" IBS.

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 68 years old and I suffered with IBS for 19 years, having as many as six bouts per week and tried every medicine, diet, and even been in IBS study. I finally found a doctor to work with me and let me try Premarin. It was the miracle I was praying for. It has been two months and so far I am perfectly normal.

Must Read Articles Related to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Constipation (Adults)
Constipation in Adults Constipation in adults refers to difficulty in passing stools or a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements. Causes of constipation in adults include a poor...learn more >>
Constipation in Children
Constipation in Children Constipation in children affects up to 10% of children at any given time. Causes of constipation in infants and children include a willfulness to avoid the toil...learn more >>
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS):

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your irritable bowel syndrome established?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Experience

Please share your experience with IBS.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Diet

What foods aggravate IBS? What foods and lifestyle changes have helped you mange IBS?