Self-Care at Home
The objectives of home therapy include symptom relief and managing the
medical condition causing the underlying jaundice. The various measures that may
be undertaken include:
- Maintain adequate hydration by drinking fluids, and rest as needed.
- Take medications only as instructed and prescribed by a health care
- Avoid medications, herbs, or supplements which may cause detrimental side
effects. Consult a health care practitioner for advice.
- Avoid drinking alcohol until the patient has discussed it with their health care
- Certain dietary restrictions may be recommended by a health care
- In certain cases of newborn jaundice, the parents or caregivers can place
baby next to a well lit window a few times a day to decrease elevated bilirubin
levels. In more severe cases, a health care practitioner may need to discharge
the baby home
from the hospital with home phototherapy.
- Provide adequate milk intake for the baby in cases of breastfeeding
- If symptoms worsen or if any new symptoms arise, consult a health care
Must Read Articles Related to Jaundice
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning is caused primarily by damage to the liver. Symptoms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal ...learn more >>
Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Gallstones are solid particles that form from bile in the gallbladder. There are two types of gallstones, cholesterol and pigment. Causes of gallstones vary, an...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Jaundice: