Viewer Comments: Jellyfish Stings - Treatment

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Jellyfish Stings:

Jellyfish Stings - Treatment

What was the treatment for your jellyfish sting?

Anonymously share your comment to help others.Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: klove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was stung in Trinidad over the summer and the site still throbs. I have seen two doctors and I have gotten no advice.

Comment from: Jay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was stung by a jellyfish a week and a half ago. I developed welts and the area on the back of my leg got dark. The stinging stopped and I thought I was okay but now the area has now developed a rash and is a bit itchy.

Comment from: XGhost, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

We were on vacation on time and I kicked a beach ball away from me and I felt a biting pain in my calf. It kind of looked like noodles or stringy pasta. There wasn't any urine involved so I just freaked out and poured Coca-Cola on my leg. It was weird, but it felt better.

Comment from: LillieLOveBLue, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was on holiday in Alicante Finestrat, when I went in the deep water where I could not touch the ground. I was near some rocks with my sister when I sat down on the rocks and felt really bad. I thought I was sitting on a jellyfish or jellyfish was on my back legs then I got up and realized nothing was there. It hurt for a week my mum thought it was mites. I went to the hospital back in Britain and the nice lady said it was a jellyfish sting!

Comment from: caza96, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My grandson came in contact with a jelly fish with some blue coloring through it. The sea water was so warm which irritated the sting area. So I used cool cold water to rinse the stung area and applied an ice block. I had no vinger. Cold fresh water worked..

Comment from: tina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I got stung in Costa Rica. Locals said lime juice and hot sand. Swelling and marks went away within an hour!

Comment from: Dakota Cantrell, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

First I put vinegar on it, then I put hydrocortisone on it. That's all I've done so far. I'm only 10 yrs old, and I got stung about an hour ago by a moon jelly.

Comment from: Nicole Hart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I got stung by a jellyfish about 2 weeks ago. It stung for about 45 minutes and then it pretty much stopped. A week later I got the swelling and intense itching. I tried everything, vinegar, aloe, alcohol, but the anti-itch cream seemed to be the only one to lightly stop the itching. I didn;t sleep for two days. but I'm on day four now and it hardly itches at all even though the marks are still red but not really swollen like before. In my experience so far it seems like it will go away, you just gotta fight through it. Thank goodness the itching is over. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Goldenamber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I got stung yesterday and was told to put vinegar or my own urine on it. I didn't have any vinegar so I used the urine and then I put neosporin on the sting. So far so good.

Comment from: OnlyAngie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was in Cancun, Mexico and in water that was thigh high in the water when I got stung. Quickly the lifeguard put vinegar on then minutes later placed an ointment with gauze. The next day I had no pain, no severe swelling but there was welting with redness.

Comment from: Stung, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

SO I have been all over the internet for hours and I have found lots of info on first aid for Jellyfish stings right when they occur but absolutely no answers or information on what to do for "flare ups" that seem to happen a week later to a month later. Well, let me back up, I was stung by a jelly fish a week ago, received first aid from the public safety officials said it was fine in an hour, no problem with the sting, just a few lingering red marks. Now a week later the remarks are swollen, and painfully itchy and nothing I do seems to help them. What is surprising is that this is apparently common since I found many many people with this same or similar problem asking this same question but NO answers. No website to refer them too, no facts, I was looking for something as simple as a "yeah this is common, it'll go away in a few hours, days etc" or a "You can see your doctor for an antibiotic cream" but there is nothing. Somebody needs to answer this question of why this happens and what to do about it!

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Pill Finder Tool

Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.

Viewer Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on eMedicineHealth. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. eMedicineHealth does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Medical Dictionary