Viewer Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Infection:

Kidney Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your kidney Infection?

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

A week ago on Monday, I woke up with a pain on my left side. I figured it was from sleeping wrong. I went to bed the next night and I woke at 4:00 a.m. not being able to move. I went to the emergency room and they took X-rays and a urine sample. The doctor concluded that it was a kidney infection and prescribed an antibiotic. I had no other symptoms: no fever, no vomiting, no pain during urination, or anything else commonly associated with kidney infections.

Comment from: alfjess, 25-34 Female Published: December 11

With my kidney infection, I had severe back pain and the frequent urge to use the restroom. I'm generally feeling yucky.

Comment from: InPain&Confused, 35-44 Female Published: November 09

I had been having incontence problems for some time (on and off since 2005)and went to the doctor for some relief - Some pain in my left flank was involved; however none associated with urination. I was told that blood was found in my urine and a CT scan was performed. They found two large kidney stones. The doctor performed cystoscopy and advised me that he would also biopsy my bladder; however, when I awakended from the outpatient surgery I was advised by my spouse that the doctor informed him that they could not remove the stones, due to the size and I also learned that they did not complete a biopsy. The stones are inside of a liquid sac and appear to be lodged inside of a calyx. This surgery costs approximately $12K and I still have the pain (although not as severe as explained by others (my assumption is that this is due that the stones remain in my kidneys and are not mobile), kidney stones, and the incontinence. I feel as if I have been burglarized. I've looked all over the internet and have went to several doctors to determine if my symptons and diagnosis is common. The symptons appear to be somewhat common, but I am unable to locate any information about kidney stones inside of a liquid sac. Searching for answers - please help!!

Comment from: Lorraine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Hi. I am a 54 year old and I have had blood in my urine for 3 months, my doctor said it was kidney stones as I only had one real bad pain in my right side. I was instructed to come back in a month if the blood was still there. I work in a hospital and I was checking myself. I am not sick and have no other symptoms except for a dull pain on my side that comes and goes, and of course the blood. He is now sending me for a CT scan. I am very worried that it could be bladder cancer, even though there are so many other reasons.

Comment from: sbu, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I have side and back pain every morning when I wake and even at night. I should probably get to a doctor, as I hear that once there is blood in the urine, it means the infection has gotten really bad.

Comment from: babygirl36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I started having a pain in the right side and lower part of my back. Every day my pain got worse. I started urinating a lot and my urine had a funny scent and color. After the pain became unbearable I went to the doctor. At first I thought it was gas, but I was told by the doctor, it is a kidney infection. I was given 3 days off and antibiotics and pain medication. And I was told to buy and drink cranberry juice. Today is my 3rd day home, the pain is not as bad now, but my back is killing me and I feel really tired.

Comment from: watergirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I was driving home from work the other day when I began to experience pain on the right lower side of my back. It wasn't until the next day that I realized that I may have a kidney infection. I have taken 2 Aleve for the pain and I am trying to drink water. I have also noticed that I have made many frequent trips to the restroom within the past two days.

Comment from: glenncredi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm a 30 year old male and I had passed 3 kidney stones about 5 years ago. Talk about pain, it will make a grown man cry. Anyway off and on for the past year I will get nasty lower back pain especially when I'm laying down, it's progressively gotten more frequent. I have no other symptoms just pain. I'm currently laid off from work and have no insurance so I have been dealing with it but its starting to really worry me because it's been going on so long.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Infection:

Kidney Infection - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?

Kidney Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with kidney infection.