Viewer Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Infection:

Kidney Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your kidney Infection?

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 27 year old man who went to the ER a week ago and was diagnosed with a kidney infection. I was treated with IV fluids, pain medication and sent home with antibiotics. I have been back to the ER twice since. The pain is still severe. I am constantly sick to my stomach, vomiting; now I have a horrible headache and my blood pressure is 160/54. They said I don't have an infection now and sent me home with vicodin which is not helping. I feel worse not better.

Comment from: maria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Hi everyone, I have a left atrophic kidney (very mall and damaged) next to no function since I was a teenager. I too have been hospitalized many times with vomiting, high fever and unbelievable flank pain which is lower side/back pain, but I also get pain shooting down the front also. My kidney spasms a lot, so I do get this uncomfortable pain without a fever or vomitting. I was just told my creatinine level is over 300 (in Canada) normal is from 50-100. I'm a little scared but I don't complain, I have gotten used to the annoying pain over the years and sometimes I wait to long to mention and end up with a bad infection. I do get chronic u.t.i's. Oh well I guess I will have to wait and see what's next for me.

Comment from: Rosie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

For a lot of years I have been treated for kidney problems. My doctor is retiring and it seems I have been put on the shelf. At the moment I am suffering terrific back pain which has not been like this for a very long time. My kidney function has been poor, but my old doctor said it was ok now. The pain I am getting is in both sides, into base of back then into groins. I'm ok if I am resting but as soon as I move it's all back. Today also I have to spend loads of pennies more than usual, as I do have to go to the loo a lot on a normal day. As my daughter is a nurse I have described the pain as like being in labor [when having a baby]. My doctor had told me my kidney function had been very low. My blood count and also liver function is not what it should be, plus B/P and cholesterol is up. I am on medication. In 1982 I did have a major kidney operation this was to remove a growth off the right kidney. In the past 2 years things were a bit better, I'm now beginning to wonder if this is right.

Comment from: sweets87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had several kidney infections and once hospitalized for three days. I now believe I have a serious kidney infection again, but am a single mom with not much money and I can't afford to really go to a doctor. It hit me very suddenly just three days ago and I have literally been in excruciating pain. My left kidney is throbbing and its making it very difficult to stand at times and it hurts worse than ever to breathe deep. It feels like its stretching and going to rip. The pain is horrific. I feel very faint at times and extremely nauseous. Breathing and standing is becoming more difficult for me. I can no longer pick up my son. I don't think I have a fever and it doesn't hurt to pee, but I have been peeing more frequently. My left side of my abdomen is now starting to hurt beyond bad as well. I never had the excruciating pain when I would breathe deep. Does anyone have suggestions or has anyone experienced the difficulty breathing?.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

A few years back I had high fever, dull back pain on my right side and vomiting a lot. I went to the doctor and they sent me to the hospital due to a kidney infection. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks because I had really high fever and vomited a lot and nothing seems to be helping. Finally, 2 days without fever I was able to go home. 4 years later I was getting UTIs all the time they ran test after test to find out what might be causing them, but nothing would come up. Finally, I guess one medicine worked and I did not get one for awhile. I know I have one again so I started to drink lots of water and started to take AZO which helps with the pain. I haven't had any fever, but I do have this pain in my back and all my other symptoms have disappeared. Has anyone ever just had pain in their back? Also, to the person who say's they don't know if they should go to the doctor. From the sounds of your symptoms you should go to the doctor. If you let it get worse you could end up in the hospital like me and that's going to cost you a lot more. I had my symptoms for 2 days only before I went and because I did not get on medication right away it got really bad. Sorry to say this but there is no way around it. You have to see a doctor if it's gotten to your kidney's.

Comment from: Deee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had two kidney infections in the past 3 months and was hospitalized for 2 days for each. It's now 3 weeks later and I believe it is back. My first symptom is always lower back pain. I get no relief from by stretching or massaging. I also get a dull ache in my groin.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

For the past month I've been dealing with my kidney infection and it's apparently all healed up. When I first experienced it my symptoms were mostly vomiting, fatigue, and dehydration. Even though my infection is healed, I'm having issues with keeping fluids and food down. I never experience nausea anymore but I still vomit once a day. I'm 19 and it's mostly frustrating at this point.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Infection:

Kidney Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with kidney infection.

Kidney Infection - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?