Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

Comment from: Deborah D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had the internal lithotripsy to blast 2 stones and then wore a stent for 7 days. These stones had reached the ureter. I am scheduled for an external lithotripsy in a few weeks for stones that have not reached the ureter. My stones are made of calcium oxalate. I was told to try to avoid food containing high levels of oxalates and to drink plenty of water with lemon as well as plain water.

Comment from: Alesandro Nero, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I thought the pain from my kidney stones was the result of back injury and was only diagnosed with renal colic when I contracted septicemia. This caused a high temperature which brought on vomiting which then resulted in a bilateral hernia. The stones were then removed by endoscope surgery. That was 23 years ago, and it appears the condition has returned. Following a CT scan, I have been told I have stones in both kidneys, now I await up to date treatment, hopefully.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was prescribed narcotics along with Flomax (drug used for men with prostate cancer) its purpose is to dilate the urethral tubules making it easier for the stone to pass! I was in torturing pain for three to four weeks. I was given a strainer to use to catch the stone but unfortunately I was unable to strain it and the pain suddenly stopped. It's been over a month now so I'm guessing I passed it somehow! I wanted to strain it and take it my urologist for lab testing so I know what it's made out of and how to prevent future stones! It was the worst pain in my entire life!

Comment from: Mother 1of 2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have had many kidney stones. The treatment that works best is to have a shot of Toradal as soon as I am in the ER. It helps with the spasms in the kidney until further treatment can be done.

Comment from: frice, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

Having had numerous bouts with kidney stones, I found the best remedy was a combination of apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice taken at bedtime. Put the apple cider vinegar in about a quarter of a small glass and then fill with the cranberry juice. The kidney stones will slide right through. First read about this in a natural health book.

Comment from: no longer stoned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Started having low back pain. As the pain moved from the back over my hip and into the groin area, the pain was so severe it took me to the floor. I was also vomiting I went to the ER where a CT scan confirmed a 6mm stone lodged in the ureter. A urine test also showed I had a UTI. I was given pain meds and antibiotics and sent home. Three days later I was admitted to the hospital. I was septic and in kidney failure. I was also severely dehydrated. My system was shutting down and I was very close to death. It was discoved that I still had 1 more stone in my kidney. This one was 7mm. It was "blasted" by Lithotripsy 2 weeks later. I now drink plenty of fluids and am thankful to be alive.

Comment from: healingathome, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

For my kidney stones, I have been drinking 8oz of warm water w/fresh lemon juice 1/2 of a lemon for a week now and it has seemed to help.

Comment from: anniemac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Hi! I'm 72. I just got home from hospital after experiencing a kidney stone episode. It was so bad. I was on a drip for 48 hours, but I managed to pass the stone. It was dreadful. I would hate for anyone to go through this pain. I thought I was going to die; the pain was so bad. The pain was coming in waves and I could not pass urine so, I went back to the urologist for a checkup. They had me in a bed within 5 minutes of getting to the emergency room.

Comment from: A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a dull aching pain in my back with short bursts of sharp pain. I also, at the same time, had a UTI. I thought the infection was in my kidneys. I was on antibiotics and still went to work, though I walked a little funny from the pain. After a few days I called my doc back and he said that the medication I was on for migraine prevention can cause stones, so I should get a CT to rule that out. I did. It showed a small stone in the pelvis of the kidney, where urine collects before it goes on its way. I had Vicodin for pain. He said it should pass in a few days, and we decided to take a wait and see approach. That evening, only hours after I spoke with him, I suddenly didn't feel right. I went to the bathroom, dizzy. I washed my face and then had to sit on the floor because I could not stand. My arms went cold and I was shaking. Then the vomiting hit and so much pain I could not believe it (and I had taken Vicodin an hour before). I was driven to the ER and they didn't seem to understand the pain I was in. I waited a full hour before being seen for pain management, and by the time I was called back I was feeling totally fine. They gave me an IV. I refused morphine because there was no point. They seemed very upset that I already knew what was wrong with me.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?