Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

Comment from: cathycat123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

A few years after having Gastric Bypass surgery, I developed kidney stones that needed to be blasted. I was not drinking enough water and the doctors had told me to make sure and drink enough protein, which now I'm told high levels of protein are not good especially if you are dehydrated which I guess I was. I think I have them again but the one thing I know for certain is that I will never let them put in another stent in.

Comment from: newbie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had pain for a few days and saw the doctor and they treated me for a bladder infection. I was still in pain even after finishing the antibiotics so I went back and told the doctor about the back pain and bladder pain I was having. They found I had four kidney stones in my left kidney and told me to drink plenty of fluids as they were small enough to pass on my own. It's been six weeks and I am still in excruciating pain.

Comment from: Argent Dee, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

It all started in June and I didn't understand what was going on with me. I passed the first stone without any assistance and then I passed another one with assistance from the doctor. She gave me some tablets to help me pass the stones. She told me to exercise and drink a lot of water. After some days I managed to pass only one out. I went back to the doctor and they ran an ultrasound and CT scan to see if I still have more. They told me I still have more stone, but they are too small and currently the only way I can ease the pain is to place a warm cloth on the painful side.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I went in to the Emergency room and even though I told them I don't have insurance and that I have had stones before they did all kinds of Blood work and a CT scan. I'm sure this will cost me thousands, they send me home with a prescription for Vicodin and told me to wait it out. I read on here the home remedy of apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice I took it all day and just before bed. I got up in the middle of the night and passed the stone with no problem. Thanks who ever put this remedy on here. The doctors were of no help.

Comment from: Stubborn male, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I just completed the procedure that sends shock waves through body to break up my 10mm stone. The stone broke into two and still have not passed them all, but I'm taking pills designed to break them up further plus stent should rid them from me in a week or so I hope. The pain was/is excruciating and so I would highly recommend Percocet after trying unsuccessfully. Guys, the moment you experience pink/maple colored urine go see a urologist ASAP. Don't wait to be crippled in pain at 3 in the morning and rushed to the emergency room. I was stupid and ignored it. Drink tons of water to prevent the stones but once you feel the pain in your side it's too late and you must get them broken up...if not you could die from them, the pain itself or your spouse because you ignored the blood in your urine. Live and learn...

Comment from: Deborah D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had the internal lithotripsy to blast 2 stones and then wore a stent for 7 days. These stones had reached the ureter. I am scheduled for an external lithotripsy in a few weeks for stones that have not reached the ureter. My stones are made of calcium oxalate. I was told to try to avoid food containing high levels of oxalates and to drink plenty of water with lemon as well as plain water.

Comment from: Alesandro Nero, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I thought the pain from my kidney stones was the result of back injury and was only diagnosed with renal colic when I contracted septicemia. This caused a high temperature which brought on vomiting which then resulted in a bilateral hernia. The stones were then removed by endoscope surgery. That was 23 years ago, and it appears the condition has returned. Following a CT scan, I have been told I have stones in both kidneys, now I await up to date treatment, hopefully.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was prescribed narcotics along with Flomax (drug used for men with prostate cancer) its purpose is to dilate the urethral tubules making it easier for the stone to pass! I was in torturing pain for three to four weeks. I was given a strainer to use to catch the stone but unfortunately I was unable to strain it and the pain suddenly stopped. It's been over a month now so I'm guessing I passed it somehow! I wanted to strain it and take it my urologist for lab testing so I know what it's made out of and how to prevent future stones! It was the worst pain in my entire life!

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?