Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

Comment from: Stubborn male, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I just completed the procedure that sends shock waves through body to break up my 10mm stone. The stone broke into two and still have not passed them all, but I'm taking pills designed to break them up further plus stent should rid them from me in a week or so I hope. The pain was/is excruciating and so I would highly recommend Percocet after trying unsuccessfully. Guys, the moment you experience pink/maple colored urine go see a urologist ASAP. Don't wait to be crippled in pain at 3 in the morning and rushed to the emergency room. I was stupid and ignored it. Drink tons of water to prevent the stones but once you feel the pain in your side it's too late and you must get them broken up...if not you could die from them, the pain itself or your spouse because you ignored the blood in your urine. Live and learn...

Comment from: Deborah D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had the internal lithotripsy to blast 2 stones and then wore a stent for 7 days. These stones had reached the ureter. I am scheduled for an external lithotripsy in a few weeks for stones that have not reached the ureter. My stones are made of calcium oxalate. I was told to try to avoid food containing high levels of oxalates and to drink plenty of water with lemon as well as plain water.

Comment from: Alesandro Nero, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I thought the pain from my kidney stones was the result of back injury and was only diagnosed with renal colic when I contracted septicemia. This caused a high temperature which brought on vomiting which then resulted in a bilateral hernia. The stones were then removed by endoscope surgery. That was 23 years ago, and it appears the condition has returned. Following a CT scan, I have been told I have stones in both kidneys, now I await up to date treatment, hopefully.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was prescribed narcotics along with Flomax (drug used for men with prostate cancer) its purpose is to dilate the urethral tubules making it easier for the stone to pass! I was in torturing pain for three to four weeks. I was given a strainer to use to catch the stone but unfortunately I was unable to strain it and the pain suddenly stopped. It's been over a month now so I'm guessing I passed it somehow! I wanted to strain it and take it my urologist for lab testing so I know what it's made out of and how to prevent future stones! It was the worst pain in my entire life!

Comment from: Mother 1of 2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have had many kidney stones. The treatment that works best is to have a shot of Toradal as soon as I am in the ER. It helps with the spasms in the kidney until further treatment can be done.

Comment from: frice, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

Having had numerous bouts with kidney stones, I found the best remedy was a combination of apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice taken at bedtime. Put the apple cider vinegar in about a quarter of a small glass and then fill with the cranberry juice. The kidney stones will slide right through. First read about this in a natural health book.

Comment from: no longer stoned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Started having low back pain. As the pain moved from the back over my hip and into the groin area, the pain was so severe it took me to the floor. I was also vomiting I went to the ER where a CT scan confirmed a 6mm stone lodged in the ureter. A urine test also showed I had a UTI. I was given pain meds and antibiotics and sent home. Three days later I was admitted to the hospital. I was septic and in kidney failure. I was also severely dehydrated. My system was shutting down and I was very close to death. It was discoved that I still had 1 more stone in my kidney. This one was 7mm. It was "blasted" by Lithotripsy 2 weeks later. I now drink plenty of fluids and am thankful to be alive.

Comment from: healingathome, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

For my kidney stones, I have been drinking 8oz of warm water w/fresh lemon juice 1/2 of a lemon for a week now and it has seemed to help.

Comment from: anniemac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Hi! I'm 72. I just got home from hospital after experiencing a kidney stone episode. It was so bad. I was on a drip for 48 hours, but I managed to pass the stone. It was dreadful. I would hate for anyone to go through this pain. I thought I was going to die; the pain was so bad. The pain was coming in waves and I could not pass urine so, I went back to the urologist for a checkup. They had me in a bed within 5 minutes of getting to the emergency room.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?