Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

Comment from: Mother 1of 2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have had many kidney stones. The treatment that works best is to have a shot of Toradal as soon as I am in the ER. It helps with the spasms in the kidney until further treatment can be done.

Comment from: frice, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

Having had numerous bouts with kidney stones, I found the best remedy was a combination of apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice taken at bedtime. Put the apple cider vinegar in about a quarter of a small glass and then fill with the cranberry juice. The kidney stones will slide right through. First read about this in a natural health book.

Comment from: no longer stoned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Started having low back pain. As the pain moved from the back over my hip and into the groin area, the pain was so severe it took me to the floor. I was also vomiting I went to the ER where a CT scan confirmed a 6mm stone lodged in the ureter. A urine test also showed I had a UTI. I was given pain meds and antibiotics and sent home. Three days later I was admitted to the hospital. I was septic and in kidney failure. I was also severely dehydrated. My system was shutting down and I was very close to death. It was discoved that I still had 1 more stone in my kidney. This one was 7mm. It was "blasted" by Lithotripsy 2 weeks later. I now drink plenty of fluids and am thankful to be alive.

Comment from: healingathome, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

For my kidney stones, I have been drinking 8oz of warm water w/fresh lemon juice 1/2 of a lemon for a week now and it has seemed to help.

Comment from: anniemac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Hi! I'm 72. I just got home from hospital after experiencing a kidney stone episode. It was so bad. I was on a drip for 48 hours, but I managed to pass the stone. It was dreadful. I would hate for anyone to go through this pain. I thought I was going to die; the pain was so bad. The pain was coming in waves and I could not pass urine so, I went back to the urologist for a checkup. They had me in a bed within 5 minutes of getting to the emergency room.

Comment from: A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a dull aching pain in my back with short bursts of sharp pain. I also, at the same time, had a UTI. I thought the infection was in my kidneys. I was on antibiotics and still went to work, though I walked a little funny from the pain. After a few days I called my doc back and he said that the medication I was on for migraine prevention can cause stones, so I should get a CT to rule that out. I did. It showed a small stone in the pelvis of the kidney, where urine collects before it goes on its way. I had Vicodin for pain. He said it should pass in a few days, and we decided to take a wait and see approach. That evening, only hours after I spoke with him, I suddenly didn't feel right. I went to the bathroom, dizzy. I washed my face and then had to sit on the floor because I could not stand. My arms went cold and I was shaking. Then the vomiting hit and so much pain I could not believe it (and I had taken Vicodin an hour before). I was driven to the ER and they didn't seem to understand the pain I was in. I waited a full hour before being seen for pain management, and by the time I was called back I was feeling totally fine. They gave me an IV. I refused morphine because there was no point. They seemed very upset that I already knew what was wrong with me.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am recurring kidney stone patient and was recently in the ER with a fairly new ER doctor. It is almost like he read your website word for word! As someone who has had 9mm stones before (believe me I know when I have one) your website was very informative and helpful. I was having a hard time understanding why, with the pain I was having in my right flank and blood in my urine.

Comment from: Butterfly50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had kidney stones twice. First time the Shock Wave Lithotripsy was given to me twice with stents. This did not break them up. Therefore, I had open back surgery. They removed the stones, but I will never have this kind of surgery gain. Now three years later. The stones are back. I had Lithotripsy again, and again, it did nothing. I hurt and don't know what to do. I hurt and don't know if I can afford surgery again. They charge $28,000 each time.

Comment from: Wintergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

It was a cat and mouse game with my urologist and my kidney stones. I had an 8 mm stone, plus a couple smaller ones on two CT scans taken about a week apart, but by the time the urologist performed his procedure, they were gone. So my treatment was pain management which consisted of a morphine drip for 6 days during my first hospital stay, then again a morphine drip for 24 hours during my second hospital stay about 10 days later. The attending physician from my second hospital stay finally prescribed Percocet. My advice is to keep some Percocet on hand if you are prone to kidney stones, it will save you an uncomfortable and very painful emergency trip to the hospital, but take them as soon as the first twinges of pain start, or else it will be difficult to get the pain under control.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?