Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

Comment from: A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a dull aching pain in my back with short bursts of sharp pain. I also, at the same time, had a UTI. I thought the infection was in my kidneys. I was on antibiotics and still went to work, though I walked a little funny from the pain. After a few days I called my doc back and he said that the medication I was on for migraine prevention can cause stones, so I should get a CT to rule that out. I did. It showed a small stone in the pelvis of the kidney, where urine collects before it goes on its way. I had Vicodin for pain. He said it should pass in a few days, and we decided to take a wait and see approach. That evening, only hours after I spoke with him, I suddenly didn't feel right. I went to the bathroom, dizzy. I washed my face and then had to sit on the floor because I could not stand. My arms went cold and I was shaking. Then the vomiting hit and so much pain I could not believe it (and I had taken Vicodin an hour before). I was driven to the ER and they didn't seem to understand the pain I was in. I waited a full hour before being seen for pain management, and by the time I was called back I was feeling totally fine. They gave me an IV. I refused morphine because there was no point. They seemed very upset that I already knew what was wrong with me.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am recurring kidney stone patient and was recently in the ER with a fairly new ER doctor. It is almost like he read your website word for word! As someone who has had 9mm stones before (believe me I know when I have one) your website was very informative and helpful. I was having a hard time understanding why, with the pain I was having in my right flank and blood in my urine.

Comment from: Butterfly50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had kidney stones twice. First time the Shock Wave Lithotripsy was given to me twice with stents. This did not break them up. Therefore, I had open back surgery. They removed the stones, but I will never have this kind of surgery gain. Now three years later. The stones are back. I had Lithotripsy again, and again, it did nothing. I hurt and don't know what to do. I hurt and don't know if I can afford surgery again. They charge $28,000 each time.

Comment from: Wintergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

It was a cat and mouse game with my urologist and my kidney stones. I had an 8 mm stone, plus a couple smaller ones on two CT scans taken about a week apart, but by the time the urologist performed his procedure, they were gone. So my treatment was pain management which consisted of a morphine drip for 6 days during my first hospital stay, then again a morphine drip for 24 hours during my second hospital stay about 10 days later. The attending physician from my second hospital stay finally prescribed Percocet. My advice is to keep some Percocet on hand if you are prone to kidney stones, it will save you an uncomfortable and very painful emergency trip to the hospital, but take them as soon as the first twinges of pain start, or else it will be difficult to get the pain under control.

Comment from: Vijay, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I brought 8 bottles of drinking water of 1 litre each. I started drinking them, my aim was to finish 8 liters in 13 hours. Thats it. In between I ate only three apples. And some tea without milk. This helped with my kidney stones.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?