Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

Comment from: gacat.59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I've had kidney stones approx. 25 times since 2000 -- my urologist says they are "classic" calcium stones, yet offers no help in prevention -- he's also greedy with the pain meds -- tells me that a particular stone "isn't very bad and should not be too bad" it's evident he's never had one & I wish our city had more than 2 urologists so I could find someone who actually cared about me and my pain rather than just getting rich off repeat trips for an unresolved problem

Comment from: radaroy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I just passed my fourth kidney stone. It was the absolute worst pain ever. I had abdominal pain, extreme pain in my testicles, and vomiting. Because it was my fourth stone. I knew exactly what to do. I went to the ER and got an IV mainly for fluids. I also got a shot of Toradol. I urinated through a screen and passed every stone within 72 hours.

Comment from: Ouch, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I have just had lithotripsy with the insertion of a stent. The pain after I returned home was unbearable the first night and the pain medication did not relieve it much. The pain from the stent was awful. When I returned to the doctor for a followup five days later I told him I wanted the stent out then and there. He said he preferred to leave it in a few more days or so, but I could not stand it, so he removed it. My stone was 1cm. I am still having pain.

Comment from: RobynToronto, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

Having kidney stones twice, my doctor suggested that I start drinking cranberry juice daily every morning, as cranberries are supposed to help prevent the formation of kidney stones. Well, I am not a big fan of juice, so thought I would give the Cranberry Concentrate from Lady Soma Products a try. It's a cranberry supplement with Vitamin C in it. I am very pleased with the product, and it has totally helped!

Comment from: cathycat123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

A few years after having Gastric Bypass surgery, I developed kidney stones that needed to be blasted. I was not drinking enough water and the doctors had told me to make sure and drink enough protein, which now I'm told high levels of protein are not good especially if you are dehydrated which I guess I was. I think I have them again but the one thing I know for certain is that I will never let them put in another stent in.

Comment from: newbie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had pain for a few days and saw the doctor and they treated me for a bladder infection. I was still in pain even after finishing the antibiotics so I went back and told the doctor about the back pain and bladder pain I was having. They found I had four kidney stones in my left kidney and told me to drink plenty of fluids as they were small enough to pass on my own. It's been six weeks and I am still in excruciating pain.

Comment from: Argent Dee, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

It all started in June and I didn't understand what was going on with me. I passed the first stone without any assistance and then I passed another one with assistance from the doctor. She gave me some tablets to help me pass the stones. She told me to exercise and drink a lot of water. After some days I managed to pass only one out. I went back to the doctor and they ran an ultrasound and CT scan to see if I still have more. They told me I still have more stone, but they are too small and currently the only way I can ease the pain is to place a warm cloth on the painful side.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I went in to the Emergency room and even though I told them I don't have insurance and that I have had stones before they did all kinds of Blood work and a CT scan. I'm sure this will cost me thousands, they send me home with a prescription for Vicodin and told me to wait it out. I read on here the home remedy of apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice I took it all day and just before bed. I got up in the middle of the night and passed the stone with no problem. Thanks who ever put this remedy on here. The doctors were of no help.

Comment from: Stubborn male, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I just completed the procedure that sends shock waves through body to break up my 10mm stone. The stone broke into two and still have not passed them all, but I'm taking pills designed to break them up further plus stent should rid them from me in a week or so I hope. The pain was/is excruciating and so I would highly recommend Percocet after trying unsuccessfully. Guys, the moment you experience pink/maple colored urine go see a urologist ASAP. Don't wait to be crippled in pain at 3 in the morning and rushed to the emergency room. I was stupid and ignored it. Drink tons of water to prevent the stones but once you feel the pain in your side it's too late and you must get them broken up...if not you could die from them, the pain itself or your spouse because you ignored the blood in your urine. Live and learn...

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?