Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: penny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

My husband just had a kidney stone one day ago. It was an excruciating flank and radiated through the side of his abdomen and into his groin area. He finally passed the stone on Sunday night.

Comment from: valerie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had pain in my back, leg and side. The pain was all on my right side.

Comment from: opawigeddove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had kidney stones for years. I'm ready to go to the ER right now, the pain and vomiting are so bad. For some reason I belch a lot, too. I'm just tired of the pain and I want these kidney stones out.

Comment from: Angela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had four stones over the course of a year. The first one was mild but still very painful. In my most recent experience, I wasn't able to get comfortable and I just wanted something for the never-ending pain. I went to the ER, where a CT scan found the stone about the size of a marble, which I was unable to pass on my own. That was a while back. Now I drink a lot of water and not much alcohol. I've been great!

Comment from: Stephie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My kidney stones first started as a dull pain across my lower abdomen. Almost like a gas pain that wouldn't let up, it seems like it would ease up if I rubbed my stomach. Next I started feeling a dull pain under my rib cage. Shakes and nausea followed.

Comment from: pworthi157, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had 13 stones pass in the past 12 years and currently have 2 more that I know of in my right kidney, which is showing signs of another episode. It is a constant low ache and I cannot predict when it will begin to move, but it is soon. Others have had me vomiting, on my hands and knees, and a couple I simply called my husband to let him know I was driving myself to the doctor's office as the pain was tolerable.

Comment from: Relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Kidney stones gave me the worst pain I have ever felt and I have born two children!

Comment from: jmar42, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Excellent to-the-point information for a first-time kidney stone patient. This was very helpful.

Comment from: Kidney Stoner, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

Kidney stones pain can be as painful as labour pain... or even higher and indefinite. I had kidney stones twice in 3 years. Fist time I had <5mm stones and second time was 12mm. Second time stones gave me a lot of problem. It started when I about to board flight to Singapore from India. I was admitted to airport clinic and doctor didn't allow me to board the flight and I was given 3 injections (may be pain killers) and sent to a main hospital by ambulance. Later pain reduced and I felt like I got second life! I had laser surgery next day to fragment the stones. After that, I can see stones passing through urine for next few days. Now I am taking as much precautions to avoid the next one. I suspect that, the stones formed due to high intake of calcium and not drinking water.

Comment from: logone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I had a kidney stone episode a year ago. It lasted from 8am to 1pm and I finally called an ambulance to take me to the emergency room. I suspected kidney stones but had never had one so couldn't be sure. I begged for pain medication, the EMT's refused! By the time we arrived at the hospital I was completely broken down, gasping and sobbing in excruciating PAIN. I was barely able to walk in the doors by myself. The emergency room staff put me in a bed immediately and the doctor came in to see me. My stones must have passed to the bladder because SUDDENLY I was ok.

Comment from: ouch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

When I developed kidney stones, I had a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower back the moved into my abdomen. The pain was significant enough to prohibit me from taking a deep breath, and the pain was so severe, it would cause my knees to buckle. The, all of a sudden, the pain would subside without warning and the pain would eventually return, but in waves.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?