Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: nadine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

The only symptom I experienced was a nagging pain in my right side. It was not as painful as childbirth. I also went to the bathroom a lot. I did experience hematuria that was visible in the urinalysis. I did everything I had always done. The kidney stones were discovered by CT scan. One of them had to be shocked to break it up. I haven't noticed any passing of the stone yet even though I have been drinking lots of water. I still have to see the urologist next week to find out what is going on. Will post more when I have been checked out.

Comment from: runswithsquaws, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a kidney stone about a year ago. It was the worst pain ever. I've had 2 back surgeries and would rather have another one than deal with stones. Anyway, I had another stone yesterday. It started out manageable, and throughout the day it got worse and worse. At about 8 pm I ran a bath (the water was the hottest I could stand) and it eased the pain tremendously. Afterwards I put a heating pad on my groin area and that helped also. But that is only a temporary fix. I eventually had to go to the emergency room (ER) where they found out it was a 5 mm by 6 mm stone. After 4 milligrams of morphine and 8 milligrams of Toradol I felt better. What I'm trying to say is 99 percent of the time you will end up in the ER. I waited until I literally would rather die than go through the pain till I went, and it could've been prevented if I'd gone earlier to prevent the excruciating pain. The urologist gave me a new medication to break it down and they passed easy. Also he advised that at least 2 glasses of lemonade a week will drop the probability of getting another one 60 percent. If you have kidney stones all I can say is it's going to hurt really badly, and don't wait to go to the ER, get help.

Comment from: Hnlac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been in constant pain for over 5 weeks. I have had two previous known/confirmed episodes of kidney stones. The pain ranges from dull ache in the flank from below my kidney into my mid-abdomen, with stabbing pain that takes my breath away. The last urologist I saw told me I have musculoskeletal pain, not kidney stones. I present differently from many stone sufferers (i.e., men), so my symptoms are discounted. I am scheduled for a second CT scan in 6 years, but will not be returning to my most recent urologist.

Comment from: Graiae, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am currI am currently experiencing my first kidney stone. The pain began two weeks ago as a "nagging" twinge, similar to a UTI. Within a day, the pain was sharp, moving from my right back around to my lower right groin. As others have said, it felt like a thin, sharp blade or a knitting needles being stabbed and twisted. The pain would last about 10-20 minutes, and then subside to a dull ache before returning. I went to the ER, had a CT scan, and received the official diagnosis of a 3.3 mm stone with a "this will probably pass in 3 days or less" hint (oh, I hoped they were right!). I was given fluids and Toradol, which helped immensely, with oral pain medication for home. I have been drinking 3 quarts of clear fluids a day. Unfortunately, 2 days ago, the pain returned again at the front (sharp, stabbing) with dull, constant aching back up to my kidney. I returned to the ER (more fluids and pain medications) and with ultrasound, found that the stone is lodged at the entrance to the bladder, causing some "backup" of urine to the kidney. I am seeing a urologist, but still hoping fervently that the fluids will help the stone pass on its own. Pain levels are very similar to labor (I had no pain meds) during transition--about an 8 or 9 on 10 pt. scale, but they are intermittent for the most part. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone!

Comment from: Painful Mom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had no warning signs, I just turned from cooking breakfast and told my Husband I had a painful spasm in my back on the left and then I fell to the floor in agonizing pain. We happened to call an ER doctor who was a friend and she told us if it doesn't stop soon to go to the ER. So my husband helped me to the car and off we went. There was blood taken and a CT scan and thankfully they finally gave me pain meds! So after all was done and I was released we went to the health food store and got something called "Stone breaker.” It broke my stones into smaller pieces and I was able to pass them the next morning easily. They said to keep taking it to help break the others down. It works wonders. I thought there was nothing that would help. So I hope this helps someone else out!

Comment from: missjo123, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I had pain that woke me up from my sleep in the middle of the night that went down into my side, from mid rib cage down my right side. It was the "loudest" most extreme pain that I had ever experienced. I had to leap out of bed, and actually pace the floor, it was so horrible. I got down on my knees and squatted on the floor. I did anything to relieve this pain. It went away in about 5 minutes, and for that, I was so thankful. For the next day, I was alright, but two days later, again about the same time in the middle of the night, I woke with the same sharp excruciating pain in my right side. This time, after 5 minutes, it didn't let up. I was nauseated, dry heaving. My husband and I were just newlyweds of 2 months, and had just been in our new house 2 nights, when I was admitted into the hospital with a kidney stone. About a month later, I started noticing pinkish urine, low back ache, and a deep pelvic ache. I got another one which I managed at home, and with this one, it was all left sided, which caused pain into my back, down my side, and into my pelvic and groin area. This one was found to be lower in my ureter than the first. It is odd how they can feel so different, depending on where they are. I suffered through 3 in 6 months. After those, now I know what to look for. Mine were caused by low citrate levels in my body.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?