Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Summer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had kidney stones several times and have had them blasted twice, which I would never have done again -- I felt bruised inside for weeks! I've had them removed twice, which wasn't bad at all -- the worst was having the stint in afterward. I had to stay on pain pills until the stint was removed. When you have kidney stones, the only way I can try to explain how they feel is it's like a nagging sharp pain as if someone is sticking a thin knife in you and slowly turning it. You try to sit one way to relieve it then another way, and it doesn't work. I've always had to go in and have them removed, so if you have them, go in and have them removed rather than suffer for weeks and weeks trying to pass them yourself. You'll start to feel much better once they've been removed.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I was an avid cyclist. Several 100 Mile rides per month with lots of sweating etc. Common scenario for athletic people, whether cycling, running, etc. Typically summer months so heat and sweating is a major element. Anyhow, began developing uric acid stones. Typically 2-4mm. Like most people, excruciating pain, vomiting, ER trips with IV's, etc. All passed "naturally.” Finally, went to University of Chicago and enrolled in their kidney stone program to evaluate my urinary system conditions. After analysis, they prescribed Polycitra-K. Mix it in my water bottle. The problem has diminished substantially! Hope this helps someone out there. I was ready to quit all activities after my second stone, but this supplement has allowed me to keep working out. I believe Urocit is a pill form of one of these supplements.

Comment from: wiechers, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I decided to share my experience empathizing sincerely and whole heartedly with the vast number of people that have shared their experience. This is my second time around with a kidney stone. Second time that it had to be laser removed. The pain is something that is mind, life changing and really instills fears for months following the episode. All of you that have gone and or going through such an experience. I feel you with all my heart.

Comment from: Consumed with pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I just experienced my first kidney stone. A CT scan showed I had two stones, a 4 mm stone ready to enter the bladder but they didn't mention much about the second one. I just passed the one and am trying to determine whether or not I should expect to pass the second one now or can this pain just creep up on me again a month or year from now.

Comment from: Orangefan5, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I just found out that I have numerous stones in each kidney with the largest measuring 1.9 cm. The pain is excruciating. Unfortunately my doctor won't prescribe me anything for the pain and has said that she will refer me to a urologist. So now I have to sit and wait for who knows how long.

Comment from: 8mm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my first kidney stone a couple of months ago. I had a stone that was too large to pass on its own (8 mm) and finally after 1 week of excruciating pain, the urologist finally removed it by laser surgery.

Comment from: Craig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

My first stone was 7mm. What a life-changing event! I've been in pain before, but this takes the cake! I'm 59 years old and this pain is the worst in my whole life. I thought I was going to die.

Comment from: Momof2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm currently three weeks out from my first kidney stone attack. I had two nights of being awakened by what felt like 'waves' of gas-like/colicky pains traveling from left flank towards groin area. I waited too long until I finally went to the hospital. A CT scan showed a 5mm stone in the left ureter.

Comment from: Riku, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

Well the first signs i noticed was the pain, but at that point it was just a dull pain, like the kind you get when you have a stomachache. This pain was on the left side instead of the stomach. The real sign I saw was when I went to use the restroom and my urine was dark yellow. Literally five minutes later the pain intensified and it felt like someone was squeezing my insides on the left side. Not knowing better, I tried to sleep through it, but I just rolled around in bed as the pain started to get worse. At that point I went to the ER and they did blood work and had me urinate in a jar for testing. They told me I had a 2.5mm stone passing and gave me pain meds as well as meds that'll make me go more frequently. After a couple days I seemed to have passed the stone. Sadly a couple weeks later, the pain came back.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?