Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: palafoxy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had extreme pain radiating from lower abdomen and back. Nothing beats labor pain but this came very, very close.

Comment from: mstvm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I have been experiencing pain related to kidney stones since 2001. In 2002, two stones were removed surgically. But since then, I am experiencing the pain almost every year. I wonder if there is a permanent remedy for this problem. The composition of stone was calcium oxalate (80%) and Calcium Phosphates (20%).

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I passed my first kidney stone when I was 16. Since then I've had several. The pain starts to build up on my side, between my rib cage and my hip. It radiates from my back and feels like a build up of gas-like pressure. I've recently passed a kidney stone and for the first time had blood in my urine. I can usually manage the pain without a trip to the ER, but the blood in my urine scared me to the doctor's office.

Comment from: Starfish, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have had the laser twice, and can attest to feeling quite tender after, but nothing compared to the kidney stone pain. For me it was quite relieving, like a very intense massage you know is doing you good. As for the stones, if I do not drink my daily 2 litres of water, I have severe abdominal pain within 3 days. It's quite frustrating as nothing seems to effectively prevent or cure, and much advice seems contradictory! ("Eat loads of celery", "Eat none no celery all" and my favorite: "Kidney stones cause no pain whatsoever" This from a doctor!)

Comment from: Kaydoo, Published: October 21

Before I found out I had kidney stones, I had what felt like a pocket of gas that began to get stronger. I also was restless. I was vomiting a bit and I had cloudy urine.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have passed nearly 300 stones in the past 5years. Some had to be removed at the hospital. The doctor has told me that I am a kidney stone producer. I have tried everything to prevent them. I hate kidney stones. They are a real pain.

Comment from: T Cat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

Dead on exactly what happened in emergency room and what happened to me. Pills and all.

Comment from: Beeutifool1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 51 year-old woman in good health. Several weeks ago after I finished my work shift, as I was winding down I got this excruciating pain in my right lower back. After writhing around in agony for an hour I had a friend call 911. Sure enough, a CT scan confirmed the fact that I had a kidney stone. I was given an IV for fluids and some much needed pain medication. Thing is, this has now happened 3 other times within the last few weeks but to this day I have never even seen a stone. Anyway the reason I am writing this is to relay something that helps me so much when I feel one "coming on". I submerge my entire right side in a tub with water as hot as I can stand it. For some reason it really helps with the process of the stone moving from the kidney to the bladder.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Kidney stones were frightening to me. I initially passed a stone with a slight burning sensation. Within several hours, I began experiencing the worst pain ever! The pain spread from my abdomen to my back and eventually down to my testicles. It felt as though I had taken a very hard blow, but the pain didn't subside. I had to go to the emergency room where they couldn't do anything but administer IV pain medication for the absolutely crippling pain!

Comment from: bairie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had a backache with soreness to the touch. I thought I had hurt myself somehow while gardening. This was in the evening; during the night it only hurt when I changed positions. The pain was just below my waist on the right side. The next morning the pain was worse, and it hurt to move. It wasn't until about 10 p.m. that it started to spasm and was much worse. At that time, I recognized it as renal colic; I had passed a stone several years ago, and here it was again. The first time I had no idea what was happening, just that the pain was excruciating, and I had a friend take me to the emergency room. This time I know what to look for--the symptoms of real trouble (unable to urinate, blood in the urine, etc.). So I am staying home and taking pain pills, watching out for signs of more serious problems, and praying that it passes soon.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?