Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Riku, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

Well the first signs i noticed was the pain, but at that point it was just a dull pain, like the kind you get when you have a stomachache. This pain was on the left side instead of the stomach. The real sign I saw was when I went to use the restroom and my urine was dark yellow. Literally five minutes later the pain intensified and it felt like someone was squeezing my insides on the left side. Not knowing better, I tried to sleep through it, but I just rolled around in bed as the pain started to get worse. At that point I went to the ER and they did blood work and had me urinate in a jar for testing. They told me I had a 2.5mm stone passing and gave me pain meds as well as meds that'll make me go more frequently. After a couple days I seemed to have passed the stone. Sadly a couple weeks later, the pain came back.

Comment from: Zee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have a 14mm stone and still I'm waiting for the doctor to remove it. The pain is the worst pain ever. I still have to wait a whole month to have it removed. I have tummy and back aches and pain on my right side.

Comment from: Termurr9, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I had lower back pains that increased, and extreme back pains causing me to not able to stand erect, which sent me to the hospital. I was diagnosed with kidney stones that were passable requiring no surgery.

Comment from: Lucyp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I passed my first kidney stone when I was eight years old. One minute I was walking around the house and the next I was lying on the floor screaming. After that I had kidney stones on both kidneys for five years. At one point I had 12 stones in my right kidney. Today, I was in pain all day but it was manageable. However, at midnight as I was getting ready to go to sleep, I felt it. This is the worst pain I can possibly imagine. I never throw up but I shake like crazy. The only thing that seems to help is to fill the bath tub with the hottest water my shower can give me and lie in there until the pain diminishes. I would not wish this pain on anyone.

Comment from: penny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

My husband just had a kidney stone one day ago. It was an excruciating flank and radiated through the side of his abdomen and into his groin area. He finally passed the stone on Sunday night.

Comment from: valerie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had pain in my back, leg and side. The pain was all on my right side.

Comment from: opawigeddove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had kidney stones for years. I'm ready to go to the ER right now, the pain and vomiting are so bad. For some reason I belch a lot, too. I'm just tired of the pain and I want these kidney stones out.

Comment from: Angela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had four stones over the course of a year. The first one was mild but still very painful. In my most recent experience, I wasn't able to get comfortable and I just wanted something for the never-ending pain. I went to the ER, where a CT scan found the stone about the size of a marble, which I was unable to pass on my own. That was a while back. Now I drink a lot of water and not much alcohol. I've been great!

Comment from: Stephie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My kidney stones first started as a dull pain across my lower abdomen. Almost like a gas pain that wouldn't let up, it seems like it would ease up if I rubbed my stomach. Next I started feeling a dull pain under my rib cage. Shakes and nausea followed.

Comment from: pworthi157, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had 13 stones pass in the past 12 years and currently have 2 more that I know of in my right kidney, which is showing signs of another episode. It is a constant low ache and I cannot predict when it will begin to move, but it is soon. Others have had me vomiting, on my hands and knees, and a couple I simply called my husband to let him know I was driving myself to the doctor's office as the pain was tolerable.

Comment from: Relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Kidney stones gave me the worst pain I have ever felt and I have born two children!

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure in which ...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?