Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Zee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have a 14mm stone and still I'm waiting for the doctor to remove it. The pain is the worst pain ever. I still have to wait a whole month to have it removed. I have tummy and back aches and pain on my right side.

Comment from: Termurr9, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I had lower back pains that increased, and extreme back pains causing me to not able to stand erect, which sent me to the hospital. I was diagnosed with kidney stones that were passable requiring no surgery.

Comment from: Lucyp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I passed my first kidney stone when I was eight years old. One minute I was walking around the house and the next I was lying on the floor screaming. After that I had kidney stones on both kidneys for five years. At one point I had 12 stones in my right kidney. Today, I was in pain all day but it was manageable. However, at midnight as I was getting ready to go to sleep, I felt it. This is the worst pain I can possibly imagine. I never throw up but I shake like crazy. The only thing that seems to help is to fill the bath tub with the hottest water my shower can give me and lie in there until the pain diminishes. I would not wish this pain on anyone.

Comment from: penny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

My husband just had a kidney stone one day ago. It was an excruciating flank and radiated through the side of his abdomen and into his groin area. He finally passed the stone on Sunday night.

Comment from: valerie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had pain in my back, leg and side. The pain was all on my right side.

Comment from: opawigeddove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had kidney stones for years. I'm ready to go to the ER right now, the pain and vomiting are so bad. For some reason I belch a lot, too. I'm just tired of the pain and I want these kidney stones out.

Comment from: Angela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had four stones over the course of a year. The first one was mild but still very painful. In my most recent experience, I wasn't able to get comfortable and I just wanted something for the never-ending pain. I went to the ER, where a CT scan found the stone about the size of a marble, which I was unable to pass on my own. That was a while back. Now I drink a lot of water and not much alcohol. I've been great!

Comment from: Stephie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My kidney stones first started as a dull pain across my lower abdomen. Almost like a gas pain that wouldn't let up, it seems like it would ease up if I rubbed my stomach. Next I started feeling a dull pain under my rib cage. Shakes and nausea followed.

Comment from: pworthi157, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had 13 stones pass in the past 12 years and currently have 2 more that I know of in my right kidney, which is showing signs of another episode. It is a constant low ache and I cannot predict when it will begin to move, but it is soon. Others have had me vomiting, on my hands and knees, and a couple I simply called my husband to let him know I was driving myself to the doctor's office as the pain was tolerable.

Comment from: Relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Kidney stones gave me the worst pain I have ever felt and I have born two children!

Comment from: jmar42, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Excellent to-the-point information for a first-time kidney stone patient. This was very helpful.

Comment from: Kidney Stoner, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

Kidney stones pain can be as painful as labour pain... or even higher and indefinite. I had kidney stones twice in 3 years. Fist time I had <5mm stones and second time was 12mm. Second time stones gave me a lot of problem. It started when I about to board flight to Singapore from India. I was admitted to airport clinic and doctor didn't allow me to board the flight and I was given 3 injections (may be pain killers) and sent to a main hospital by ambulance. Later pain reduced and I felt like I got second life! I had laser surgery next day to fragment the stones. After that, I can see stones passing through urine for next few days. Now I am taking as much precautions to avoid the next one. I suspect that, the stones formed due to high intake of calcium and not drinking water.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?