Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: jmar42, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Excellent to-the-point information for a first-time kidney stone patient. This was very helpful.

Comment from: Kidney Stoner, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

Kidney stones pain can be as painful as labour pain... or even higher and indefinite. I had kidney stones twice in 3 years. Fist time I had <5mm stones and second time was 12mm. Second time stones gave me a lot of problem. It started when I about to board flight to Singapore from India. I was admitted to airport clinic and doctor didn't allow me to board the flight and I was given 3 injections (may be pain killers) and sent to a main hospital by ambulance. Later pain reduced and I felt like I got second life! I had laser surgery next day to fragment the stones. After that, I can see stones passing through urine for next few days. Now I am taking as much precautions to avoid the next one. I suspect that, the stones formed due to high intake of calcium and not drinking water.

Comment from: logone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I had a kidney stone episode a year ago. It lasted from 8am to 1pm and I finally called an ambulance to take me to the emergency room. I suspected kidney stones but had never had one so couldn't be sure. I begged for pain medication, the EMT's refused! By the time we arrived at the hospital I was completely broken down, gasping and sobbing in excruciating PAIN. I was barely able to walk in the doors by myself. The emergency room staff put me in a bed immediately and the doctor came in to see me. My stones must have passed to the bladder because SUDDENLY I was ok.

Comment from: ouch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

When I developed kidney stones, I had a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower back the moved into my abdomen. The pain was significant enough to prohibit me from taking a deep breath, and the pain was so severe, it would cause my knees to buckle. The, all of a sudden, the pain would subside without warning and the pain would eventually return, but in waves.

Comment from: palafoxy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had extreme pain radiating from lower abdomen and back. Nothing beats labor pain but this came very, very close.

Comment from: mstvm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I have been experiencing pain related to kidney stones since 2001. In 2002, two stones were removed surgically. But since then, I am experiencing the pain almost every year. I wonder if there is a permanent remedy for this problem. The composition of stone was calcium oxalate (80%) and Calcium Phosphates (20%).

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure in which ...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?