Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Graiae, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am currI am currently experiencing my first kidney stone. The pain began two weeks ago as a "nagging" twinge, similar to a UTI. Within a day, the pain was sharp, moving from my right back around to my lower right groin. As others have said, it felt like a thin, sharp blade or a knitting needles being stabbed and twisted. The pain would last about 10-20 minutes, and then subside to a dull ache before returning. I went to the ER, had a CT scan, and received the official diagnosis of a 3.3 mm stone with a "this will probably pass in 3 days or less" hint (oh, I hoped they were right!). I was given fluids and Toradol, which helped immensely, with oral pain medication for home. I have been drinking 3 quarts of clear fluids a day. Unfortunately, 2 days ago, the pain returned again at the front (sharp, stabbing) with dull, constant aching back up to my kidney. I returned to the ER (more fluids and pain medications) and with ultrasound, found that the stone is lodged at the entrance to the bladder, causing some "backup" of urine to the kidney. I am seeing a urologist, but still hoping fervently that the fluids will help the stone pass on its own. Pain levels are very similar to labor (I had no pain meds) during transition--about an 8 or 9 on 10 pt. scale, but they are intermittent for the most part. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone!

Comment from: Painful Mom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had no warning signs, I just turned from cooking breakfast and told my Husband I had a painful spasm in my back on the left and then I fell to the floor in agonizing pain. We happened to call an ER doctor who was a friend and she told us if it doesn't stop soon to go to the ER. So my husband helped me to the car and off we went. There was blood taken and a CT scan and thankfully they finally gave me pain meds! So after all was done and I was released we went to the health food store and got something called "Stone breaker.” It broke my stones into smaller pieces and I was able to pass them the next morning easily. They said to keep taking it to help break the others down. It works wonders. I thought there was nothing that would help. So I hope this helps someone else out!

Comment from: missjo123, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I had pain that woke me up from my sleep in the middle of the night that went down into my side, from mid rib cage down my right side. It was the "loudest" most extreme pain that I had ever experienced. I had to leap out of bed, and actually pace the floor, it was so horrible. I got down on my knees and squatted on the floor. I did anything to relieve this pain. It went away in about 5 minutes, and for that, I was so thankful. For the next day, I was alright, but two days later, again about the same time in the middle of the night, I woke with the same sharp excruciating pain in my right side. This time, after 5 minutes, it didn't let up. I was nauseated, dry heaving. My husband and I were just newlyweds of 2 months, and had just been in our new house 2 nights, when I was admitted into the hospital with a kidney stone. About a month later, I started noticing pinkish urine, low back ache, and a deep pelvic ache. I got another one which I managed at home, and with this one, it was all left sided, which caused pain into my back, down my side, and into my pelvic and groin area. This one was found to be lower in my ureter than the first. It is odd how they can feel so different, depending on where they are. I suffered through 3 in 6 months. After those, now I know what to look for. Mine were caused by low citrate levels in my body.

Comment from: Summer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had kidney stones several times and have had them blasted twice, which I would never have done again -- I felt bruised inside for weeks! I've had them removed twice, which wasn't bad at all -- the worst was having the stint in afterward. I had to stay on pain pills until the stint was removed. When you have kidney stones, the only way I can try to explain how they feel is it's like a nagging sharp pain as if someone is sticking a thin knife in you and slowly turning it. You try to sit one way to relieve it then another way, and it doesn't work. I've always had to go in and have them removed, so if you have them, go in and have them removed rather than suffer for weeks and weeks trying to pass them yourself. You'll start to feel much better once they've been removed.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I was an avid cyclist. Several 100 Mile rides per month with lots of sweating etc. Common scenario for athletic people, whether cycling, running, etc. Typically summer months so heat and sweating is a major element. Anyhow, began developing uric acid stones. Typically 2-4mm. Like most people, excruciating pain, vomiting, ER trips with IV's, etc. All passed "naturally.” Finally, went to University of Chicago and enrolled in their kidney stone program to evaluate my urinary system conditions. After analysis, they prescribed Polycitra-K. Mix it in my water bottle. The problem has diminished substantially! Hope this helps someone out there. I was ready to quit all activities after my second stone, but this supplement has allowed me to keep working out. I believe Urocit is a pill form of one of these supplements.

Comment from: Lucyp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I passed my first kidney stone when I was eight years old. One minute I was walking around the house and the next I was lying on the floor screaming. After that I had kidney stones on both kidneys for five years. At one point I had 12 stones in my right kidney. Today, I was in pain all day but it was manageable. However, at midnight as I was getting ready to go to sleep, I felt it. This is the worst pain I can possibly imagine. I never throw up but I shake like crazy. The only thing that seems to help is to fill the bath tub with the hottest water my shower can give me and lie in there until the pain diminishes. I would not wish this pain on anyone.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?