Viewer Comments: Kidney Transplant - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Transplant:

Kidney Transplant - Procedure

How did your kidney transplant procedure go?

Comment from: Bearcat, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I received my non-relative kidney transplant in October 1972 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Although there have been some minor problems, it has served me well.

Comment from: Pinak, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a renal transplant on in May and I'm doing well after wards. The main thing is to listen to your nephrologist for everything and maintain a schedule of your medicines and a proper hygienic atmosphere for faster recovery.

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: April 30

Just went through a transplant six weeks ago as the donor for my son. I am healing wonderfully, but he had two bouts of rejection already, having to remain in hospital longer than me. He was released just two days ago and is doing fine so far. He felt great the day after surgery, but it's just unfortunate it rejected twice.

Comment from: T.BonaCamp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had my kidney transplant on 3/14/12. The first few days after the transplant I was feeling fine, then a week later things started going downhill. I started feeling a lot of fatigue and I started having a lot of muscle aches. When I went to see my transplant team and they took blood and urine they saw that I had a lot of protein. After more blood work and a biopsy it was determined that my Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) had returned. Before the transplant I had been on dialysis for three years and diagnosed with FSGS for six. I had hoped that the transplant would be a lifesaver but that's not true for me.

Comment from: P. Bilimale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

Thanks much for the valuable information. I am planning to go for kidney transplantation (due to a long history with diabetes) and this information gave me lots of confidence.

Comment from: lovelife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I had my transplant on Thanksgiving 2011. I had been on dialysis for four years. I woke up next morning after and felt 20 years younger. I couldn't believe how will I did! Three months after my surgery, I feel like a new person who is ready to get back into life again!

Comment from: Giddens, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a kidney transplant at Henry Ford Hospital from an unrelated cadaver in 1976. I have carefully taken my meds as ordered by my nephrologists. I'm doing amazing well and wish the very best to all transplant candidates.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

Nine months after kidney transplant (I am the donor) my sister got a chest infection and suffered acute respiratory failure and is now in ICU in Royal London hospital. She is severely ill and she caught two chest infections that are very vicious. She rejected the kidney at first and had a plasma exchange and was pelted with anti-rejection drugs and steroids. She is so ill, and hasn't been very well since transplant anyway. I just feel gutted that all this has happened to her. I pray that she will pull through.

Comment from: C.Hill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

The transplant team at St. Lukes Hospital in New York was excellent.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I felt I'd won the lottery I felt so well within hours of waking up. I had so much energy and was walking everywhere.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Transplant

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>