Viewer Comments: Knee Dislocation - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Dislocation:

Knee Dislocation - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your knee dislocation?

Comment from: a grandmother, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I dislocated my knee trying to block a ball for my two-year-old granddaughter. I slid and my knee collapsed inward toward my other leg and I fell and was unable to get for several minutes due to the severe pain. I eventually was able to move my leg to straighten back up and the knee moved back into place. It was very painful. I went to an orthopedist who immobilized it and gave me crutches, but it still gives me trouble and it has been two years since the incident. I use braces to ensure that it does not happen again.

Comment from: Susie blue, 35-44 Female Published: January 24

I landed heavily on my right leg during an aerobics class and my knee buckled sideways with a sickening clunking sensation followed by the ripping feeling as my ACL ruptured. And my quads tore. The pain was so bad I was sick and almost passed out but luckily the joint jumped back into place itself and the initial pain subsided after about 20 minutes.

Comment from: Jason, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm 14 and I dislocated my knee playing football 7 months ago. I was in severe pain and it took 50 minutes for the ambulance to come and once they got there they gave me some pills, gas and air. My knee was so far out the paramedics tried three times too put it back in but they couldn't so I had to ride in the ambulance nearly unconscious with it out of place. That 1 hour of my life was the longest and most painful in my life! Once the nurse put it back in the pain went straight away but after coming out my cast 4 weeks later I slipped at school and damaged my ligaments so I had to go back in another splint thing and I still get random pains now.

Comment from: Ainsley09, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I was at school the first day and sat down and my knee just knocked out of place! Now it's better but have to wear brace for 4 to 6 weeks!

Comment from: naz, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I was kicked playing soccer and knee was dislocated. I could not move and felt like my leg was going to break. The ambulance came and took me to the ER. The doctor put my knee back in place and immediately my knee felt better. Now, I'm recovering at home at home with crutches.

Comment from: happy, 45-54 Female Published: April 25

My knee popped out of place when I twisted wrong. It is a knee that I had previously had surgery on. It was rather random thing to happen. I managed to pop it back in place. I was quite freaked out when it happened, however I did not go to a doctor.

Comment from: Soccer Sally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was playing soccer and I went to check someone and heard a loud pop and I fell to the ground. I couldn't move my leg and had intense pain in the knee. All my muscles in my lower leg got extremely tight. Luckily it went out and in right away.

Comment from: sandra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Both of knees dislocate at random since I was 13. At first, it was very painful, but now at the age of 52 can put them back myself. I am waiting for surgery as there is nothing left to hold them in.

Comment from: iceskatingwithknee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I dislocated my knee when getting the mail. We have had 4 inches of ice on everything for the last month and I just slipped face forward. Yes it hurt. My knee when out of place and as I tried to get back up leaned on the mailbox and put it back in place. I've had RA in my knees since I was 16. I've never had it dislocate before, but adrenaline popped in and I got into the house unassisted. Then I sat at the kitchen table to do college online test when I felt my knee pop out. I couldn't walk nor hop, just panic. My family was there to help and got me to chair and put leg up. After a computer chair ride to the bathroom, I decided to go to bed and just relax the knee. A few pain pills and a major scream of pain, I got my knee to go back into place. It was a pop!

Comment from: Roo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

If dislocated my knee whilst playing football. It didn't go back in by itself, but needed some assisstance from a trainer. It was a massive feeling of relief when it went back into place. Since then I've had a reconstruction on my ACL, PLC and reattachment of the medial ligaments which were damaged. It's slowly mending now.

Must Read Articles Related to Knee Dislocation

Knee Joint Replacement
Knee Joint Replacement The procedure of knee joint replacement is called a total knee arthroplasty (TKA). This surgery involves replacing your knee joint with a manmade one. Osteoarth...learn more >>
Knee Pain
Knee Pain Overview Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Home care for knee pain involves protecting the knee from further trauma, in addition to resting, icing, ...learn more >>