Viewer Comments: Knee Dislocation - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Dislocation:

Knee Dislocation - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your knee dislocation?

Comment from: it still hurts, 25-34 Male Published: March 12

I dislocated my knee kickboxing. My left knee buckled and I collapsed to the floor in pain. Two days layer the pain shot down the back of my calf muscle. I went to the ER for MRI. I was given pain meds and crutches.

Comment from: summerowww, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

It's the worse pain ever. I was hysterical, I was sweating badly, and my face was red like a stop sign. I would have a million C-sections over again than to experience a knee dislocation.

Comment from: jaylstone, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I originally injured my knee as a goal keeper in street hockey. It dislocated and tore a little cartilage. Around 20 years later and I still have issues. It will pop out if I am kneeling all the way down and I am able to get it back into place by sliding my leg back and letting it reposition.

Comment from: Ruth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I recurrently dislocated my knees when I was a child up until the age of 16. I always managed to put it back in place myself when it happened.The pain was so bad it would make me hysterical and it would take a lot of strength to hold myself up and carefully and very slowly move my leg from the kneeling position to a straight position in front of . Once it was back in the pain would go away.

Comment from: skoch, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I dislocated my right knee, tore the ACL in my left knee and broke my back in a 2,200 foot fall in an avalanche that started above me while I was climbing the mountain face with the intent to snowboard it. I was alone and had to do a self-rescue to avoid further avalanches. Spending the night out on the snow at 9,000' with my injuries and only a long underwear shirt created a challenge to survive. I managed to get through the night by breathing fast and shallow. Climbing Rangers and a rescue helicopter came 23 hours after my fall and took me to St. John's Hospital in Jackson, WY. I was happy to be covered in hot blankets by hot nurses! My symptoms were severe pain, especially when I dislocated my right knee while getting out of the way of another avalanche. I had several knee surgeries, worked my tail off in physical therapy and was mountain climbing again five months after the avalanche, snowboarding again nine months after the avalanche and went back and climbed Mount Owen (where the avalanche occurred) 11 months after. It felt good to get back on the horse! Believe you will be well again and be well again. Work hard. Surround yourself with positive people who believe in your success. The biggest advantage to my injuries from the avalanche is the greater empathy I am able to feel for people suffering. May you be well and happy!

Comment from: a grandmother, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I dislocated my knee trying to block a ball for my two-year-old granddaughter. I slid and my knee collapsed inward toward my other leg and I fell and was unable to get for several minutes due to the severe pain. I eventually was able to move my leg to straighten back up and the knee moved back into place. It was very painful. I went to an orthopedist who immobilized it and gave me crutches, but it still gives me trouble and it has been two years since the incident. I use braces to ensure that it does not happen again.

Comment from: Susie blue, 35-44 Female Published: January 24

I landed heavily on my right leg during an aerobics class and my knee buckled sideways with a sickening clunking sensation followed by the ripping feeling as my ACL ruptured. And my quads tore. The pain was so bad I was sick and almost passed out but luckily the joint jumped back into place itself and the initial pain subsided after about 20 minutes.

Comment from: Jason, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm 14 and I dislocated my knee playing football 7 months ago. I was in severe pain and it took 50 minutes for the ambulance to come and once they got there they gave me some pills, gas and air. My knee was so far out the paramedics tried three times too put it back in but they couldn't so I had to ride in the ambulance nearly unconscious with it out of place. That 1 hour of my life was the longest and most painful in my life! Once the nurse put it back in the pain went straight away but after coming out my cast 4 weeks later I slipped at school and damaged my ligaments so I had to go back in another splint thing and I still get random pains now.

Comment from: Ainsley09, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I was at school the first day and sat down and my knee just knocked out of place! Now it's better but have to wear brace for 4 to 6 weeks!

Must Read Articles Related to Knee Dislocation

Knee Joint Replacement
Knee Joint Replacement The procedure of knee joint replacement is called a total knee arthroplasty (TKA). This surgery involves replacing your knee joint with a manmade one. Osteoarth...learn more >>
Knee Pain
Knee Pain Overview Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Home care for knee pain involves protecting the knee from further trauma, in addition to resting, icing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Dislocation:

Knee Dislocation - Follow-up

Did you experience any complications as a result of your knee dislocation? Please describe them.