Viewer Comments: Knee Injury - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Injury:

Knee Injury - Diagnosis

How was your knee injury diagnosed?

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: April 01

I fell and landed on my right knee. There is much pain, some swelling, some warmth. I have difficulty walking. Going up and down stairs causes great pain. I cannot decide if I should have it looked at or not. It happened on Tuesday. It is now Friday at about 3:30 pm. Maybe it will get better on its own. Maybe with the weekend coming up, I should have it checked. I've been alternating ice and heat.

Comment from: dave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I have a football injury. The pain is on the left knee, and hurts most when I change directions when I walk. The pain hurts for a few seconds and I can't straighten the leg properly. It happened last night and I'm struggling with the normal day so far.

Comment from: norsk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was carrying the vacuum cleaner downstairs. The lead went under my foot, causing it to slip. I fell sideways. I was unable to move or straighten my leg (because of the width of the stairs) which was feeling painful at the knee. The vacuum cleaner was lying on top of me. The doctor barely looked at it, never touched it. Asked me if it was swollen then told me it was age related.

Comment from: d4wn66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I fell off my scooter two months ago and was admitted to the hospital. They diagnosed me with ACL and MCL injury. Put me in a knee brace and sent me home. I was seen in an clinic later, had an MRI Scan that showed a ruptured ACL, grade 3 Tear MCL, torn lateral meniscus, dislocation, and femoral condyle fracture, bone edema, and bone bruising. I have been treated conservatively for four months in a hinged knee brace. I had ACL reconstruction, repair of MCL as it failed to heal, and suture of meniscus as this also failed to heal. I was in a brace for two weeks with no physical therapy.

Comment from: BoxingGal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have worked for 2 years with personal trainer. Switched from free weight training to goal of muscle building with heavier weights 6 months ago with great results. Take two 30 minute private boxing lessons per week and then weight train for 90 minutes overseen by same trainer plus workout another day without trainer but doing all. Two days ago while doing aerobic boxing warm ups -- on balls of feet with turning from boxing positions of feet to crossing of legs and reps of 40. Rested and started second set and landed "wrong" on left. IMMEDIATE PAIN behind left knee and a giving out but did not fall. Unable to bear full weight on straightened left leg. Can do so with partial weight and PAIN. MORE PAIN if I try to push off from left leg to walk and can only do so with a lot of assistance. Always able to bend at knee but unable to straighten or bear weight when straightened. Worse next day. Dr. examined the next morning physically only and asked questions. Said it was tendon behind my knee that controls the calf muscle. Didn't see anything about that in all the above reading. Doing RICE. Oh, cannot do stairs as cannot bear weight on left leg enough. Ride horses and very, very fit and love my boxing lessons and weight building. Drink/eat lots of protein. Very bummed at a break in riding horses and training. Wish I could know more precisely what is wrong.

Comment from: LN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

About 6 months ago we moved and I was carrying boxes down 3 flights of stairs...knee started hurting and there was swelling behind my knee. Now I'm helping my son rehab his house and knee started hurting again, same swelling, but today cannot walk on my right leg. I cannot feel any swelling; leg (knee) feels better keeping it bent at right angle. Straightening is excruciating. Have watched my soccer playing children have both acl repair and meniscus repair, this is nothing I have ever seen.

Comment from: sphakeme sangweni, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I had a knee injury since the beginning of February 2011. I have gone to see a physiotherapist but still there was no change then he took to the specialist then the specialist said I must do an operation which I can't afford. I am a 20 year old guy I'm a soccer player, talented but not just only talented I've got soccer intelligence. What I am scared of is that if I do operation I will never get back on track the knee will always be a trouble so I wanted to know the disadvantages of the knee operation.

Comment from: donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was told by a doctor that I have a sprained knee. It has been almost a month. I have a light purple line below the knee. It hurts if I'm standing or walking for a length of time.

Must Read Articles Related to Knee Injury

Knee Dislocation
Knee Dislocation A knee dislocation occurs when the bones that form your knee are out of place. Symptoms and signs include severe pain and swelling. Treatment usually involves r...learn more >>
Knee Pain
Knee Pain Overview Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Home care for knee pain involves protecting the knee from further trauma, in addition to resting, icing, ...learn more >>