Font Size

Knee Joint Replacement (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care

Call your family doctor or orthopedist if you develop gradual pain that feels like slippage in your knee. This generally is an urgent problem but not an emergency.

Call your doctor if you notice unexpected drainage from or poor healing of a recent surgery, increasing swelling, warmth, or fevers.

Go to the hospital's emergency department if you experience any of the following:

  • A fracture or dislocation after a fall
  • New swelling
  • New pain while resting
  • Redness or warmth at a joint, suggesting infection
  • Swelling, pain, or redness below your knee that suggests a clot in your vein (deep venous thrombosis or DVT)
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/23/2015

Must Read Articles Related to Knee Joint Replacement

Knee Pain
Knee Pain Overview Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Home care for knee pain involves protecting the knee from further trauma, in addition to resting, icing, ...learn more >>
Osteoarthritis Osteoarthritis is not a single disease but rather the end result of a variety of disorders leading to the structural or functional failure of 1 or more of your ...learn more >>

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Total Knee Arthroplasty »

Total knee replacement in some form has been practiced for over 50 years.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary