Viewer Comments: Knee Pain - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Pain:

Knee Pain - Causes

What was the cause of your knee pain?

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I wrestled for 6 years, the last year 1981. I would get out of practice and take a shower. When drying off with a towel or pulling pants over my knee, the skin in front of the patella would explode in pain similar to the crazy bone feeling when you hit your elbow. I felt this about 20 times after practice in 1981. It would happen once and go away after 30 seconds or so.

Comment from: manav, 35-44 Male Published: March 15

Running and playing badminton caused the pain.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I slipped and fell at work on a wet floor. I had a carpet burn like scrape on my knee and swelling on my and below my kneecap. It has been the third day after my fall and there is bruising in the same area of my kneecap. It is getting more stiff as the days go by.

Comment from: deidred542, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I fell down in the night and landed on predominately the left knee. No swelling but can not bend it or move it in some directions without it hurting. The area is tender to the touch.

Comment from: Nok, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

Gradual increase of pain to inner side of left knee over two months then unable to sleep due to pain in knee, diagnosed with spontaneous osteonecrosis.

Comment from: C. Lowe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

My knee injury/pain was caused by weight gain and excessive long hours of standing at work.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

In 1968 I had medial ligament repair surgery, placed in a cast for two months. The knee would not bend after that. Now after all these years plus dancing on it, there is a build-up of scar tissue and arthritis.

Comment from: Den, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have pain in my right knee only. A sensation when I kneel sometimes that I am kneeling on a stone or object. There has been no injury but I am more conscious of discomfort in that knee joint increasingly at other times.

Comment from: tcg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I did a deep squat to get down into a cabinet and felt my knee tightened up. Since then, I've had pain in my knee whenever I bend my knee or go up stairs.

Comment from: david, 45-54 Male Published: April 01

My knee began to hurt after I was on my knees for a while changing a tire.

Comment from: Vicki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I fell off of a 10 speed bike (first time trying to ride in at least 30 years), stopped too suddenly and couldn't get my foot off the pedal fast enough to stand. I fell on gravel directly on my knee. It bled for 3 hours even with light pressure, could not walk on it and hot red swelling ensued. Went to the doctor and got x-rays- no break but extremely painful. Was put on Ceflaxin, moist heat and painkillers that didn't touch the pain. Crutches. Was told to see an Orthopedist. Didn't go because of $$ (no insurance) and work.

Comment from: soccermom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am a 34 year old mother of four. I was run over (by my own car) about a month ago from foot to just below the knee. I know my lower leg and foot were x-rayed at the hospital but I do not believe my knee was. Now that I am able to bend my ankle again from the sprain I received I am unable to bear any weight on my knee when in a kneeling position like putting children into car seats. The pain is severe when trying to put weight on it and will hurt for several minutes after I move from that position however there is no pain at any other time.

Comment from: sandyl28, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Knee was popping when I was walking a few days ago. No it hurts when I walk. Getting up from a sitting position is the worst thing. The pain is more severe when I rest it, then try to walk. It is not painful any other time.

Must Read Articles Related to Knee Pain Overview

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Gout
Gout Gout is characterized by abnormal uric acid metabolism. Symptoms and signs include a red, hot, swollen joint, and acute pain. Medications for the treatment of g...learn more >>
Knee Joint Replacement
Knee Joint Replacement The procedure of knee joint replacement is called a total knee arthroplasty (TKA). This surgery involves replacing your knee joint with a manmade one. Osteoarth...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Pain:

Knee Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with knee pain.

Knee Pain - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?