Viewer Comments: Knee Pain - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Pain:

Knee Pain - Causes

What was the cause of your knee pain?

Comment from: Lily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was skiing yesterday and caught an edge. The ski flew off and my knee twisted. I have been icing and taking Advil but my knee is extremely painful today, very swollen and I cannot put any weight on it.

Comment from: Ed, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

Approximately 35 years ago my left knee was scoped. Since than I had 3 additional scopes and an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) operation. My knee is always swollen, and when I sit for 10 minutes I feel and walk slow and gingerly. It's crazy because at times I go to the gym and do 30 minutes on Stairmaster and 20 on bike. Then I got up from the sofa and twisted my knee. The next 3 to 5 weeks I couldn't walk, or slow dance, my knee is swollen and stiff. I hop down stairs.

Comment from: GRAEME, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Moving a very large pot with a dwarf lemon tree in it, and screwing it around to get it into an awkward place must have twisted my leg/knee. Afterwards I started feeling sharp jabbing pain in center of knee under kneecap, but deeper. This happened 1.5 weeks ago, and I had x-rays which only show kneecap almost touching on one side. I can feel that, but this is a deeper and stabbing pain depending how I walk. It is slowly getting better I think. Then suddenly I had a sharp pain in center of knee. I have been rubbing in various creams for inflammation and deep heat. Knee is swollen slightly now.

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I wrestled for 6 years, the last year 1981. I would get out of practice and take a shower. When drying off with a towel or pulling pants over my knee, the skin in front of the patella would explode in pain similar to the crazy bone feeling when you hit your elbow. I felt this about 20 times after practice in 1981. It would happen once and go away after 30 seconds or so.

Comment from: manav, 35-44 Male Published: March 15

Running and playing badminton caused the pain.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I slipped and fell at work on a wet floor. I had a carpet burn like scrape on my knee and swelling on my and below my kneecap. It has been the third day after my fall and there is bruising in the same area of my kneecap. It is getting more stiff as the days go by.

Comment from: deidred542, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I fell down in the night and landed on predominately the left knee. No swelling but can not bend it or move it in some directions without it hurting. The area is tender to the touch.

Comment from: Nok, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

Gradual increase of pain to inner side of left knee over two months then unable to sleep due to pain in knee, diagnosed with spontaneous osteonecrosis.

Comment from: C. Lowe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

My knee injury/pain was caused by weight gain and excessive long hours of standing at work.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

In 1968 I had medial ligament repair surgery, placed in a cast for two months. The knee would not bend after that. Now after all these years plus dancing on it, there is a build-up of scar tissue and arthritis.

Comment from: Den, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have pain in my right knee only. A sensation when I kneel sometimes that I am kneeling on a stone or object. There has been no injury but I am more conscious of discomfort in that knee joint increasingly at other times.

Must Read Articles Related to Knee Pain Overview

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Gout
Gout Gout is characterized by abnormal uric acid metabolism. Symptoms and signs include a red, hot, swollen joint, and acute pain. Medications for the treatment of g...learn more >>
Knee Joint Replacement
Knee Joint Replacement The procedure of knee joint replacement is called a total knee arthroplasty (TKA). This surgery involves replacing your knee joint with a manmade one. Osteoarth...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Knee Pain:

Knee Pain - Experience

Tell us about your experience with knee pain.

Knee Pain - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?