Labor Signs (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Labor Signs Causes
No one knows exactly how labor starts. Some researchers think hormonal changes in the fetus cause the placenta to produce increased levels of a substance known as corticotropin-releasing hormone. This changes the balance of the mother's hormones, which have kept the uterus in a relaxed state. Once the process is triggered, the cervix begins to soften and thin. In most cases, contractions signaling labor begin.
Jane K Witman, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Labor Signs
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Labor Signs:
Labor Signs - Pain
How much pain did you experience with your labor signs?
Labor Signs - At 35 To 39 Weeks
What were your labor signs?
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?