Viewer Comments: Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Labyrinthitis:

Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with labyrinthitis?

...
Comment from: garden girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I awoke spinning from a good night's sleep. I went into panic and went to the emergency room. My symptoms started with extreme spinning and dizziness for about 3 days. Now, 2 months later I'm still experiencing lightheadness and swaying every time I stand still. I was just diagnosed yesterday, finally at 2 months. My symptoms are decreasing, but, everyday is different. I try to rest on my side as much as I can. Now, I am getting bad headaches. After emergency room, and ENT doctor I finally went to a neurologist. He suggested VRT. Therapy for your inner ear.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I'm a 62 female, a caregiver. I was fine on Friday through the night except I felt hot. I awoke at 4:30 in the morning and my ear had this rushing sound so loud and couldn't hear anything out of my right ear. I got up to vomit, and was very dizzy. I had this about a month ago. Last time my doctor gave me meclizine for the dizziness and it worked, but this time it's not working as well. I developed a cold right after this episode had happened.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I had a high fever and cold like symptoms plus sore throat the week before I became dizzy. Then after 6 days of having a fever I became dizzy. Friends said it looked like I was drunk when I was walking around. Riding in the car is a nightmare because I feel dizzier and sick. Turning my head is also not good. Laying still works the best. The cold symptoms have gone away but I am still dizzy. The doctor said it is viral labyrinthitis and should go away in about three weeks.

Comment from: Veronica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

First, I'm thankful to finally see information on labyrinthitis. I have experienced all of these symptoms and a few more since childhood. Tumbling and jumping in gym class were a nightmare for me. Everything was spinning and I would fall down. Audiologists, ENT specialists had no clue, especially as to why my blood pressure would spike after an incident. The migraine headaches were the worst, starting at age 12. Regular exercise, low sodium/low sugar diet did help a lot. Finally, at age 29, a new family physician diagnosed the Labyrinthitis, gave me antibiotics and orders to rest only after a 10 minute visit - I cried when he retired. I felt like a new person the very next day; usually it took about 4-5 just to walk normally. Reduce your stress, get regular rest, drink plenty of water, so the onset of symptoms are more noticeable earlier and not as severe. Hang in there!

Comment from: gillyb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had a severe dizzy episode at work just over a week ago. I was feeling very lightheaded. I had another episode 10 days later and am still feeling lightheaded two days later. My head also feels very heavy, and I don't seem to focus very well. I went to my GP this morning and diagnosed Labyrinthitis and gave me some medication to help with the dizziness. I have to go back in a couple of weeks to see how I am doing. I have a brain tumor but he doesn't seem to think this is the problem. I do hope he is right.

Comment from: HELPME, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

It was weird I woke up from a goodnight's sleep and the room was spinning. I then had the feeling that I was going to vomit. I have been this way for almost a week now. I am in the process of getting a referral from the doctor see an ear, nose and throat doctor. Hopefully this will help because I cannot function at all. This is the worst feeling ever.

Comment from: Aw, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I experienced sickness and dizziness.

Comment from: Chimom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Sudden onset of severe vertigo with extreme vomiting. I was taken to the ER by ambulance. I couldn't get off the floor, or stop vomiting, or answer questions. I also had nystagmus and an extreme high-pitched squeal in my ears.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

Last Tuesday, after work, I had to fix a problem with the skirting of my mobile home. As I was working on my hands and knees, I became dizzy so I stopped for a few minutes. When I felt better I started to work again and the dizziness returned with a fury. I couldn't stand up and crawled up the steps to my home and when I got to the to step, pulled myself up and tried to lay down on my recliner when I became very nauseous and ran to the kitchen sink and started dry heaving (throwing up) violently. Nothing came out but some black bile a thick green phlegm. I was sweating profusely and in between throwing up I would try and sit on a chair but the entire room was spinning and sitting made it worse. So I lay out on the floor which was nice and cold and called an ambulance. They took me to the hospital thinking I could have been have a series of mini strokes in my cerebellum so they took a CAT scan and an MRI of my head and neck areas to make sure the blood flow was fine. Finally I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis given the meds and sent home when my balance somewhat returned. It's been 5 days now and though I'm free of the nausea and vomiting, the vertigo is still present and I have to use a walker to get around the house. They say it was brought on by in my case, by stress. I had had a very small cold but had not been sick.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Labyrinthitis

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>