Viewer Comments: Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Labyrinthitis:

Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with labyrinthitis?

Comment from: Barataria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I have been experiencing dizziness and extreme headache for over ten years. Slight movements of the head or entering stores with certain lighting would bring on excessive sweating on my forehead and face. Cat scans and MRIs show nothing. This feeling is debilitating and ongoing. Every day I experience some degree of headaches and dizziness. Meclizine helps the dizziness sometimes. The headache I was told was occipital nerve neuralgia. I need to live a normal life again.

Comment from: juls, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed by closing my eyes with my arms stretch out and try to stand on one foot. It is impossible to stay balanced. I was given a methylprednisone pack and it works for me. Antiverts do not. My eyes get sore if I don't get the meds sooner than later.

Comment from: Bobblehead, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

The first time it happened, the room stayed spinning for 2 1/2 weeks. Was nauseated, vomiting for the entire time. Finally, the spinning stopped, but my equilibruim and depth perception was way off. It took a month I before I could return to work. That first day back I was about 85% better, with no dizziness but the dept perception was not back. As I work in the medical field, I felt confident I could do my job, About 2 hrs after I started work, I heard a loud "explosion", the only way I can describe it, in my head. Everything went black for about 5 seconds. When I came back, I was at 100%. I have periodic bouts to this day, which is very frustrating as you can never know when or where they will appear. I take each day at a time.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had loud ringing in one ear, followed by dizziness.

Comment from: Sarah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I'm a 32-year-old female and have been experiencing I guess you could say vertigo, for about a month now. I don't recall the exact day my symptoms appeared all I remember is thinking it'll go away soon but it still hasn't. I wasn't sick though and I don't recall any "ringing of the ears". I am and have been under a tremendous amount of stress. I'm a nursing student and that alone is extremely stressful but I'm also raising 4 kids and I have been having problems with my husband, so I thought maybe it was stress. I decided to go see my doctor where they ran a CBC and all blood work came back normal, the doctor even gave me a clean bill of health but I'm not so sure. Now I'm thinking about going to the ER just to rule out any tumors. When I went to the doctor she did a bunch of little neurological tests but no CT or CAT scans. I just want to know what's going on, I know there is definitely something wrong! I'm so scared! I have read so many posts on other people's experiences with labyrinthitis and I so appreciate it cause I don't feel so alone, however, I don't have severe dizziness where I'm falling down or vomiting (not yet anyway) I can keep my balance but I constantly feel like I'm swaying especially when I've been concentrating on something for a while then move my eyes. This is really affecting my life in a negative way and causing depression.

Comment from: garden girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I awoke spinning from a good night's sleep. I went into panic and went to the emergency room. My symptoms started with extreme spinning and dizziness for about 3 days. Now, 2 months later I'm still experiencing lightheadness and swaying every time I stand still. I was just diagnosed yesterday, finally at 2 months. My symptoms are decreasing, but, everyday is different. I try to rest on my side as much as I can. Now, I am getting bad headaches. After emergency room, and ENT doctor I finally went to a neurologist. He suggested VRT. Therapy for your inner ear.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I'm a 62 female, a caregiver. I was fine on Friday through the night except I felt hot. I awoke at 4:30 in the morning and my ear had this rushing sound so loud and couldn't hear anything out of my right ear. I got up to vomit, and was very dizzy. I had this about a month ago. Last time my doctor gave me meclizine for the dizziness and it worked, but this time it's not working as well. I developed a cold right after this episode had happened.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I had a high fever and cold like symptoms plus sore throat the week before I became dizzy. Then after 6 days of having a fever I became dizzy. Friends said it looked like I was drunk when I was walking around. Riding in the car is a nightmare because I feel dizzier and sick. Turning my head is also not good. Laying still works the best. The cold symptoms have gone away but I am still dizzy. The doctor said it is viral labyrinthitis and should go away in about three weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Labyrinthitis

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>