Viewer Comments: Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Labyrinthitis:

Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with labyrinthitis?

Comment from: His Princess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have just been diagnosed with labyrinthitis today. I had a nasty virus couple weeks ago and since then feeling of the world being 'surreal.' Today I woke up with a crazy spinning in my head and an urge to vomit.

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I attended a job interview & felt slightly 'spaced-out.' I put this down to the stress of the pending interview. I started vomiting. The last time I was vomited was when I was 16 years of age, almost 40 years ago, so I knew there was something wrong. I got home and my wife called the doctor who, following some tests, diagnosed labyrinthitis. It is now day four and I am feeling 100% better than I did.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 08

I was fine yesterday and out of knowhere I got very dizzy and the room started spinning. I am on day 2 now and I feel lightheaded, foggy,and lethargic all the time. When I move my head fast, the symptoms are worse. I have nausea but no vomiting. I am off balance and I feel as though I am in a dream. The doctor I work with gave me meclizine so hopefully it works. It's a waiting game now.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I first had a bout of this going to hockey I stepped on the ice feeling a bit weird like the ice was moving. I got off the ice and got sick while I was driving home. I was very scared because I felt like I was going to crash. I got sick 5 more times that night I have since had two more bouts of it the most recent this weekend.

Comment from: Norm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

My dad has 40% labyrinthitis. He is not on any medication. It drives him mad. He gets headaches too. He is 70 years old.

Comment from: Nurse Rose, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I have had tinnitus for more than 10 years, using a sound machine masks the sound. Then I noticed my ears where not making wax anymore. I started having balance concerns. A health column in the local newspaper told his readers that there was an across the counter product developed by an ear, nose and throat Dr. The product is called LIPO-FLAVONOID. It improves circulation to the inner ear. It is not a quick fix. I have been taking it for 6 months and my balance has improved my ears are again producing wax. The tinnitus is not as bad. I want you to know there is HOPE.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 02

Thank you everyone for all your helpful comments. Last night my husband had a sudden onset of severe vertigo and vomiting. This morning he went to clinic and was admitted to hospital for labyrinthitis. Antivert has not been helpful yet and he is already on prednisone. Hopefully tomorrow brings more relief.

Comment from: Tony Paul, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 21

I have had it for a year now and my doctor says it is permanent and my balance is never coming back. I feel drunk all the time and when I sit down I fall rather than go down gently also lying down turning over or trying to sit up or get out of bed is hard work.

Comment from: Bonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had been feeling very tired and lethargic for at least a week. I woke up one morning and when I tried to stand up, I was unstable, couldn't walk to the bathroom without holding on to the wall. My ears felt blocked, but I had no pain. I went back to bed and for the next five days. I felt so nauseated I could not eat, except for forcing a piece of toast and black tea. I finally got to the doctor where I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis, no follow-up tests, just a verbal diagnosis. Not impressed.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

Mine started with a severe tightening band type headache mainly on my forehead only. Then later severe vertigo followed by sleeping for 15 hours straight. Luckily I didn't progress to vomiting mainly because I slept for so long I think. The next day I still had vertigo (nowhere as bad as the previous day) and again I just wanted to keep sleeping. Not particularly interested in eating, just sleeping. Day 4: still experiencing slight vertigo, sleeping whenever I can, eating only when necessary. Still experiencing tight headaches, but severity is much reduced.

Must Read Articles Related to Labyrinthitis

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>