Viewer Comments: Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Labyrinthitis:

Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with labyrinthitis?

Comment from: gillyb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had a severe dizzy episode at work just over a week ago. I was feeling very lightheaded. I had another episode 10 days later and am still feeling lightheaded two days later. My head also feels very heavy, and I don't seem to focus very well. I went to my GP this morning and diagnosed Labyrinthitis and gave me some medication to help with the dizziness. I have to go back in a couple of weeks to see how I am doing. I have a brain tumor but he doesn't seem to think this is the problem. I do hope he is right.

Comment from: HELPME, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

It was weird I woke up from a goodnight's sleep and the room was spinning. I then had the feeling that I was going to vomit. I have been this way for almost a week now. I am in the process of getting a referral from the doctor see an ear, nose and throat doctor. Hopefully this will help because I cannot function at all. This is the worst feeling ever.

Comment from: Aw, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I experienced sickness and dizziness.

Comment from: Chimom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Sudden onset of severe vertigo with extreme vomiting. I was taken to the ER by ambulance. I couldn't get off the floor, or stop vomiting, or answer questions. I also had nystagmus and an extreme high-pitched squeal in my ears.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

Last Tuesday, after work, I had to fix a problem with the skirting of my mobile home. As I was working on my hands and knees, I became dizzy so I stopped for a few minutes. When I felt better I started to work again and the dizziness returned with a fury. I couldn't stand up and crawled up the steps to my home and when I got to the to step, pulled myself up and tried to lay down on my recliner when I became very nauseous and ran to the kitchen sink and started dry heaving (throwing up) violently. Nothing came out but some black bile a thick green phlegm. I was sweating profusely and in between throwing up I would try and sit on a chair but the entire room was spinning and sitting made it worse. So I lay out on the floor which was nice and cold and called an ambulance. They took me to the hospital thinking I could have been have a series of mini strokes in my cerebellum so they took a CAT scan and an MRI of my head and neck areas to make sure the blood flow was fine. Finally I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis given the meds and sent home when my balance somewhat returned. It's been 5 days now and though I'm free of the nausea and vomiting, the vertigo is still present and I have to use a walker to get around the house. They say it was brought on by in my case, by stress. I had had a very small cold but had not been sick.

Comment from: His Princess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have just been diagnosed with labyrinthitis today. I had a nasty virus couple weeks ago and since then feeling of the world being 'surreal.' Today I woke up with a crazy spinning in my head and an urge to vomit.

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I attended a job interview & felt slightly 'spaced-out.' I put this down to the stress of the pending interview. I started vomiting. The last time I was vomited was when I was 16 years of age, almost 40 years ago, so I knew there was something wrong. I got home and my wife called the doctor who, following some tests, diagnosed labyrinthitis. It is now day four and I am feeling 100% better than I did.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 08

I was fine yesterday and out of knowhere I got very dizzy and the room started spinning. I am on day 2 now and I feel lightheaded, foggy,and lethargic all the time. When I move my head fast, the symptoms are worse. I have nausea but no vomiting. I am off balance and I feel as though I am in a dream. The doctor I work with gave me meclizine so hopefully it works. It's a waiting game now.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I first had a bout of this going to hockey I stepped on the ice feeling a bit weird like the ice was moving. I got off the ice and got sick while I was driving home. I was very scared because I felt like I was going to crash. I got sick 5 more times that night I have since had two more bouts of it the most recent this weekend.

Comment from: Norm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

My dad has 40% labyrinthitis. He is not on any medication. It drives him mad. He gets headaches too. He is 70 years old.

Must Read Articles Related to Labyrinthitis

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>