Viewer Comments: Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Labyrinthitis:

Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with labyrinthitis?

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

After mowing the lawn on a hot day I came inside and began making breakfast and suddenly felt like I would fall backwards and felt dizzy and clammy. I sat down but it did not resolve itself. Concerned I may have been having a heart attack, I called an ambulance. On way to hospital had nausea and vomiting. I could not move my head even slightly or would vomit and was very weak. IV antinausea meds did not help much. Possible heat stroke or exhaustion was suggested. Was given meclizine orally but threw it up. I had never felt this ill. I had CT scan of brain that was normal. Admitted to hospital with IV fluids for dehydration and did not feel better until next day though still weak and dizzy. I was discharged from hospital. The doctor wanted me to follow up with an MRI of the brain. The next day went to family doctor who diagnosed me with labyrinthitis which I never heard of. Almost a week later I still have unbalance issues, but I am taking meclizine, which helps and I scheduled and MRI to rule out any other issues.

Comment from: Jennifer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I woke up with vertigo yesterday. If I moved my head a certain way during the day, I would get vertigo. The whole day I felt like I was in a fog. I was very tired when I got home from work and took a nap. I never do that. Going from a sitting to a laying position is a nightmare and I get very nauseated but I have no vomiting. My doctor diagnosed me with labyrinthitis over the phone.

Comment from: jadimoto, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had a spinning sensation, off balance. This was followed by very severe vomiting, which was triggered by even very slight head movements.

Comment from: Cannelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have experienced all what has been described for labyrinthritis that is recurring vertigo, spinning, vomiting, cannot function for few days but something I would like to point out is that I noticed that 2 or 3 days before the vertigo starts I feel extremely tired and I have no energy. I just had a CT scan for my ears and I will know the result in two weeks when I go to my doctor's appointment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I felt fine when I woke and was eager to take a morning bike ride. I dressed and applied sunscreen and after bending down to touch my toes I stood up and about fell over with dizziness. I hate to sit at home and I live to ride, but I've had to reverse that plan for today. I had this once several years ago and after taking antibiotics for three days I was fine.

Comment from: Racheal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

With labyrinthritis, I had dizziness, nausea, ringing in the ears, motion sickness, and lethargy.

Comment from: Angm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

It started mid-day, with a ringing in my ear. Later, I was in the middle of instructing a moderate fitness session early evening, when I had the sensation I was going to be sick and I started to vomit. It was like being on a boat in severe weather conditions. I was unable to stand up and I was driven home. Then I started to experience everything in the room spinning round. I kept vomiting and I was unable to get out of bed for five days. It was three entire weeks before all my symptoms had disappeared.

Comment from: kenalp, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

My symptoms were very typical. I had extreme vertigo and vomiting that lasted about three hours. I was admitted to the hospital where several tests were performed, all of which were normal. Unfortunately an ENT was not consulted until after I was released from the hospital. Two years later I have a moderately severe balance problem which is manifested when I stand or walk. I also have a permanent hearing loss which has been diagnosed as "profound" and cannot be resolved in any way with a hearing aid. So, I have pretty much learned to live with this condition.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I started with a severe case of vertigo that included vomiting. I was given cortisone, and antibiotic; I used allergy medications, and nothing helped. This was 1 month ago, saw and ear, nose and throat specialist today, scheduled for an MRI tomorrow, as of right now I have no hearing at all in my left ear and am still off balance in my movements. I am on a very strong dosage of prednisone for the next 2 weeks.

Related Reading: cortisone

Must Read Articles Related to Labyrinthitis

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery compl...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>