Viewer Comments: Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Labyrinthitis:

Labyrinthitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with labyrinthitis?

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I first had a bout of this going to hockey I stepped on the ice feeling a bit weird like the ice was moving. I got off the ice and got sick while I was driving home. I was very scared because I felt like I was going to crash. I got sick 5 more times that night I have since had two more bouts of it the most recent this weekend.

Comment from: Norm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

My dad has 40% labyrinthitis. He is not on any medication. It drives him mad. He gets headaches too. He is 70 years old.

Comment from: Nurse Rose, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I have had tinnitus for more than 10 years, using a sound machine masks the sound. Then I noticed my ears where not making wax anymore. I started having balance concerns. A health column in the local newspaper told his readers that there was an across the counter product developed by an ear, nose and throat Dr. The product is called LIPO-FLAVONOID. It improves circulation to the inner ear. It is not a quick fix. I have been taking it for 6 months and my balance has improved my ears are again producing wax. The tinnitus is not as bad. I want you to know there is HOPE.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 02

Thank you everyone for all your helpful comments. Last night my husband had a sudden onset of severe vertigo and vomiting. This morning he went to clinic and was admitted to hospital for labyrinthitis. Antivert has not been helpful yet and he is already on prednisone. Hopefully tomorrow brings more relief.

Comment from: Tony Paul, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 21

I have had it for a year now and my doctor says it is permanent and my balance is never coming back. I feel drunk all the time and when I sit down I fall rather than go down gently also lying down turning over or trying to sit up or get out of bed is hard work.

Comment from: Bonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had been feeling very tired and lethargic for at least a week. I woke up one morning and when I tried to stand up, I was unstable, couldn't walk to the bathroom without holding on to the wall. My ears felt blocked, but I had no pain. I went back to bed and for the next five days. I felt so nauseated I could not eat, except for forcing a piece of toast and black tea. I finally got to the doctor where I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis, no follow-up tests, just a verbal diagnosis. Not impressed.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

Mine started with a severe tightening band type headache mainly on my forehead only. Then later severe vertigo followed by sleeping for 15 hours straight. Luckily I didn't progress to vomiting mainly because I slept for so long I think. The next day I still had vertigo (nowhere as bad as the previous day) and again I just wanted to keep sleeping. Not particularly interested in eating, just sleeping. Day 4: still experiencing slight vertigo, sleeping whenever I can, eating only when necessary. Still experiencing tight headaches, but severity is much reduced.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

After mowing the lawn on a hot day I came inside and began making breakfast and suddenly felt like I would fall backwards and felt dizzy and clammy. I sat down but it did not resolve itself. Concerned I may have been having a heart attack, I called an ambulance. On way to hospital had nausea and vomiting. I could not move my head even slightly or would vomit and was very weak. IV antinausea meds did not help much. Possible heat stroke or exhaustion was suggested. Was given meclizine orally but threw it up. I had never felt this ill. I had CT scan of brain that was normal. Admitted to hospital with IV fluids for dehydration and did not feel better until next day though still weak and dizzy. I was discharged from hospital. The doctor wanted me to follow up with an MRI of the brain. The next day went to family doctor who diagnosed me with labyrinthitis which I never heard of. Almost a week later I still have unbalance issues, but I am taking meclizine, which helps and I scheduled and MRI to rule out any other issues.

Comment from: Jennifer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I woke up with vertigo yesterday. If I moved my head a certain way during the day, I would get vertigo. The whole day I felt like I was in a fog. I was very tired when I got home from work and took a nap. I never do that. Going from a sitting to a laying position is a nightmare and I get very nauseated but I have no vomiting. My doctor diagnosed me with labyrinthitis over the phone.

Must Read Articles Related to Labyrinthitis

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Meniere Disease
Meniere Disease Meniere's disease is a syndrome in which you experience episodes of spinning vertigo (sense of the room spinning), hearing loss, and tinnitus (ringing in the ea...learn more >>
Vertigo Vertigo, a feeling or perception that the environment around you is moving or spinning can be caused by inner ear inflammation, Benign paroxysmal positional ver...learn more >>