Land Animal Bite
Land Animal Bite Overview
A person attacked by a land animal should attempt to identify the type of animal, the time of the injury, and the nature of the attack.
- Animal bites can occur on any dive or wilderness trip.
They may also occur in a backyard with domesticated pets or wild animals.
- Unprovoked animal bites are particularly dangerous. The possibility of a cat, dog, or wild animal having rabies is high, especially in less-developed countries.
- Bites from land animals often lead to severe infections.
Puncture wounds are very dangerous because they inject bacteria deep into the tissues.
- Bites to the hand, wrist, foot, or joint are very dangerous and require immediate medical attention.
- Infection is a major concern with bites because a local wound infection may develop in as little as 24 hours.
Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM
Must Read Articles Related to Land Animal Bite
Rabies is a disease humans may get from being bitten by an animal infected with the rabies virus. Rabies has been recognized for over 4,000 years. Symptoms and ...learn more >>