Viewer Comments: Laparoscopy - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Laparoscopy:

Laparoscopy - Patient Experience

Did you have to have a laparoscopy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: xtiger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had laparoscopy done On November 28th. It has been great. Pain, yes! Yet light walking (slow) for a few days and lying flat was necessary. Pain medicines block you up so use stool softeners for sure. Quit taking the medicines about four days after. It took 2 weeks in driving and almost normal. Light, light bleeding through the whole way through but normal. I won't be on a trampoline any time soon but the light at the end of the tunnel is awesome!

Comment from: midookie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I just had a laparoscopy 2 days ago and other than feeling full and bloated from the gas and a soreness around the incisions, I feel pretty good. The day of the surgery when I came home, I was very sleepy and slept for almost 2 days with getting up, except here and there to use the bathroom and eat. My throat was very sore and thirsty and my mouth was so dry. Urinating hurt for a day or so, from the catheter I think, because it was bleeding a little bit. But it's okay now. If you're worried about the surgery itself, don't! Because you're not going to remember anything at all!

Comment from: Kerry, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had a laparoscopy last Tuesday and I'm still in so much pain it's horrible. I went in to have a fallopian tube unblocked and they found endometriosis so that was taken away too. I'm having to have help going to the toilet and being bathed, and I'm just not sleeping with the pain.

Comment from: babs, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I recently had an emergency appendectomy with a laparoscope. I have had a couple more exploratory laparoscopies years ago with mixed side effects, lots of shoulder pain from gas. But this time the incision site hurt more because they actually removed the appendix, but the gas was less of a problem, never migrating to shoulders as in past. I heard they have betters way to expel the gas now, may be true. But the bottom line either way it was just about a week until I felt fine. By five days I could function ok and by seven days most pain was totally gone.

Must Read Articles Related to Laparoscopy

Adhesions (General and After Surgery)
Adhesions, General and After Surgery Adhesions are bands of scar tissue that form over organs. Adhesions can occur in the abdomen, pelvic region, or around the heart. Adhesions generally do not cau...learn more >>
Flatulence (Gas)
Flatulence (Gas)

Flatulence (gas) is a normal bodily function. Excess gas may be produced by

• swallowing excess air,
  • problems in the breakdown o...
learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Laparoscopy:

Laparoscopy - Risks

Did you experience complications from your laparoscopy? How did you recover?