Viewer Comments: Leg Pain - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain:

Leg Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with leg pain.

Comment from: Taylor, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have had injections for pain in the legs initiating from damage to vertebrae, after some years. I now get severe pain in the left groin which is there all the time causing me disturbed sleep, numbness and tingling. I also have type 2 diabetes but this is under control, but I am worried that I have peripheral neuropathy.

Comment from: Hypnophd, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 21

I fell on ice five years ago, backwards. Symptoms were diplopia, partial paralysis in optic cranial nerves, back strain, sprain post-concussion syndrome, and increased migraine. I never had chronic back pain prior to injury. I started getting lumbar pain, severe shooting pain. MRI showed slight bulge of disc at L5/S1. Pain usually starts while sitting or lying sown in bed, and only relief is opioids. I was told this is from aging, again asymptomatic prior in accident. Standing is the only position that does not cause pain. I have lower back tenderness always. Pain starts in or around hip area, shoots down the legs, stops about mid-calf, lateral and central, and 4th and 5th toes have some pain on occasion. I had the accident when I was of age 50. I'm thinking it is sciatica.

Comment from: rsutton55, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm a 60 year male in good health. I get a pain down the outside of my left leg after I sit for an hour or more. It is like an electrical pain running from my buttock to my knee. Stretching seems to give momentary relief. It gets worse when I lie in bed. It has been occurring for the last 5 to 6 months.

Comment from: pris, (Patient) Published: September 23

Recently at night I have been having pain and cramping in my legs, at times chronic pain in the groin close to the femoral artery. Most recently I have developed shortness of breath when exercising, walking upstairs, or playing golf. It has been very humid where we live. These symptoms just started very suddenly connected to fatigue.

Comment from: Gez501, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I have severe heart problems and COPD. I need to take water tablets. This dehydrates me and I need to top up my electrolytes in my blood. After visiting a pain clinic I was advised to drink 2 liters of tonic water a day. My general physician said take magnesium. Magnesium itself did not work, but magnesium orotate did. Apparently plain magnesium (available on the UK National Health) gets lost due to the water tablets. Magnesium orotate (which is not on the National Health) actually enters the cells directly and therefore is retained. It solved my problems of pain and body cramps. I hope this will be useful to anyone in pain. Magnesium orotate is available in health shops.

Comment from: anxious, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have pain in my left leg. It started about a week ago in outer aspect just below left knee. Now it is the whole leg but mostly in the bulky part of calf and radiating to shins. At rest it is a deep ache through all of the leg. Weight bearing is difficult and results in a stinging sensation in shins. If I weight bear too long my thigh burns. I have full sensation in the leg. No swelling, heat redness or specific tenderness. As I write this I can feel it going to my buttock. I have an appointment with the doctor on Monday.

Comment from: anonymous, (Patient) Published: March 20

I have severe pain in my right leg. The pain starts when I stand straight and walk. It starts from coccygeal nerve stretching down femoral nerve and muscle then into knee and calf muscle.

Comment from: Tammy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 55 years old and have severe scoliosis. For the past 8 years I have felt my legs getting worse. It is to a point where I cannot sleep. Both legs ache, throb and burn right down to the bottom of my feet. I cannot stand the pain anymore. It is time to get help from the doctor. I fear a wheelchair is in my future.

Must Read Articles Related to Leg Pain

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain:

Leg Pain - Causes

What was the cause of leg pain?

Leg Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your leg pain?

Leg Pain - Prognosis

What is your leg pain prognosis?