Viewer Comments: Leg Pain - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain:

Leg Pain - Causes

What was the cause of leg pain?

Comment from: Sluggulchlady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have had nightly leg pain for so long now that I can't even remember when it began. I would guess around 1992 but not sure. The funny thing about it is that it only occurs at night. The nightly leg pain began with a burning sensation in both legs, sort of like what your skin would feel like after being burned, or like sandpaper being rubbed roughly over your skin until it's raw. Now it's changed to not only the burning, but also pain throughout both legs. I've learned to sleep through the night but it's not a real restful sleep. If the pain wakes me, I can get some relief by sticking my legs out of the bed covers, or raising my knees up, but it is hard to keep them up for long. But it still returns when I cover up again. Last night my legs hurt so bad that even when I got up in the morning they continued to have pain. I decided to go for a walk and that helped relieve the pain. Once, a while back, my doctor told me it was peripheral neuropathy and said he could give me a medicine for it. I declined. I've learned to live with this pain for so long and I don't want to take medicines for it. I just would like to know what it is and why it started.

Comment from: LadyBanker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have chronic kidney disease (CKD) stage 4, and had experimental drug of Acthar gel for 16 months, then one dose of rituximab to maintain kidney function, and then on prednisone for 6 months. I am no longer taking any of this medications and having severe bone pain in legs and arms. I have been checked for all kinds of cancers, all negative. I wonder if the bone pain is after taking any of these drugs.

Comment from: FJG, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 17

As a volunteer driver, I drove a lady patient to a hospital that is 250 kilometers away two days in a row. This lady was always sweating to an extent that she asked me to turn the air conditioner down so low that I could feel cold air on my left leg. I got home after the second trip chilled to the bone. I immediately got into bed and was in bed for the next week before I warmed up. Since then, I have pain in the upper and bottom section of my left leg which is very painful so much that I am not able to walk. I have tried a heating pad, rubbing ointment but to no avail. I can only sleep in my Lazy Boy chair. I would appreciate some advice or remedy. I wonder if this would be arthritis setting in, or just cold.

Comment from: niya, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

When I finish office or after play football I pain on foot.

Comment from: Ela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

After gall bladder surgery, I began to feel like a cramp was developing in my lower left leg. I have yet to seek medical attention regarding this condition. I may mention it to the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

As a young man I was involved in a motor vehicle accident in Alaska. I was a passenger in the front seat. We were going too fast when we approached the city dock. I knew we were going go over so I got down on the floor and put my head on the seat. We teetered on the edge for a second and went forward hitting a lower dock. We kept going and fell 60 feet to the water upside down. The car filled up with water around my head and I took a deep breath. The car lunged forward and I was hit in the head and knocked unconscious. I awoke at the bottom about 100 feet down I somehow got out. It was dark and I couldn't see anything. I made it out and somehow survived although no one else did. Ever since then, I've had bad nerve pain in my lower legs.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I have had three back surgeries to make room for nerves leading to my right thigh and upper leg. They provided temporary relief. I am now going to a pain clinic. I have had steroid injections three times to relieve the pain. That took three and a half weeks to be effective and lasted only four days. My pain has now returned and was informed yesterday there was not anything else they could do now. I was told I would have to live with it. I am so disgusted and disappointed.

Comment from: Bob joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I am diabetic with good health except poor eye vision. I started having heavy legs as the day goes. I've been been seeing different doctors and having all kind of examinations. The results are all normal except the neural test saying that response amplitude is a bit low. The heavy feeling bothers me only when I slowly movie around, but once I start to walk like 3-4 miles speed.

Must Read Articles Related to Leg Pain

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral Vascular Disease The circulatory system consists of 2 types of blood vessels: arteries and veins. These are tubular structures that carry the blood throughout the body.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain:

Leg Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your leg pain?

Leg Pain - Prognosis

What is your leg pain prognosis?

Leg Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with leg pain.