Viewer Comments: Leg Pain - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain:

Leg Pain - Causes

What was the cause of leg pain?

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I have had three back surgeries to make room for nerves leading to my right thigh and upper leg. They provided temporary relief. I am now going to a pain clinic. I have had steroid injections three times to relieve the pain. That took three and a half weeks to be effective and lasted only four days. My pain has now returned and was informed yesterday there was not anything else they could do now. I was told I would have to live with it. I am so disgusted and disappointed.

Comment from: Bob joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I am diabetic with good health except poor eye vision. I started having heavy legs as the day goes. I've been been seeing different doctors and having all kind of examinations. The results are all normal except the neural test saying that response amplitude is a bit low. The heavy feeling bothers me only when I slowly movie around, but once I start to walk like 3-4 miles speed.

Comment from: avantecd, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am suffering from pain that is in the groin area, hip and thigh. The pain isn't constant, it flares up when I least expect, If I am sitting on a bed and get up, I may have sharp deep pain, on my right leg, whereby I cannot put any weigh on that leg.

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have just broken my leg and fractured my ankle.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

This has gone on for ten months with no real diagnosis; my pain is immobilizing from my hip down to my feet in both legs - the right leg being the worst I have had a spine epidural and a hip injection. Neither did very much and what they did lasted a week or two. I have been to orthopedic specialists, pain management, and have been waiting for 6 weeks to get an appt with a hip specialist. I am wondering if I am going to the wrong doctors - I have had MRIs, CT scans, X-rays galore and no doctor can pin point the cause of my pain. I have hip arthritis, and the specialist says it is not severe enough for a hip implant (which is fine with me). I have lost ten weeks of work and I will lose my home in eight months because my savings will be gone. I can't work at Walmart even because I can't stand for more than 2 min. due to pain and extreme soreness. I am 74, covered by Medicare and a supplement, but feel that perhaps my age is resulting in the lack of caring about my pain and suffering.

Comment from: sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have plates in my left leg but am getting them out soon.

Comment from: Mikebee, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I have suffered from lower leg pain for some years. I have been prescribed Gabapentin (300mg) which I now take during the day. I take three x 300mg at breakfast time; two x 300mg at lunch time, and four x 300mg before retiring to bed. After being in bed I can sleep for two hours then lower leg pain wakes me up. I then take two x 30mg dihydrocodeine tablets which ease the pain. I then sleep for another two hours or so and have to take 2x 500mg paracetamol tablets and sleep for another two hours or so.

Related Reading: Gabapentin

Comment from: So dear, Female Published: February 11

I have extremely sensitive to touch lower legs. There is no pain unless the lower legs are touched. There is also discoloration and some redness.

Comment from: gertie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am a 72-year-old female and had total knee replacement over a year ago. I also have diabetes that is not very well controlled. Both my legs from knees down to my toes hurt so badly that it's a chore to even walk. I'm unsure as to why both legs hurt because only my right knee was replaced. My legs swell and are very rough feeling to the touch. They also get very red sometimes. My PCP doesn't seem to be too worried but her nurse practitioner sent me for Doppler studies and it's not a circulation problem.

Must Read Articles Related to Leg Pain

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral Vascular Disease The circulatory system consists of 2 types of blood vessels: arteries and veins. These are tubular structures that carry the blood throughout the body.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain:

Leg Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your leg pain?

Leg Pain - Prognosis

What is your leg pain prognosis?

Leg Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with leg pain.