Viewer Comments: Leg Pain - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain:

Leg Pain - Causes

What was the cause of leg pain?

Comment from: Dee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was walking at night and tripped and fell hard on the cement; that was two years ago and most of the injuries are ok. Just in the outside cord of muscle on my left leg above the knee (and slightly below the knee), the pain is debilitating and is making life miserable. I've been prescribed pain pills and lead a healthy life and my weight is fine. But the pain is with me most of the time. The doctors don't say much and I'm afraid they just don't want to tell me bad news.

Comment from: Geeb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 01

After sleeping for a couple of hours I used to be awakened by a severe leg ache in my right leg ache that would go away when I stood and walked a little but would wake me again in a couple hours. I was getting little sleep and the pain and muscle weakness were extending into the day. I have found I can avoid the waking with pain if I sleep on my back or as someone else mentioned, hang the foot over the side of the bed. When I do these things the pain does not start and the muscles are almost back to normal. I think some pressure is blocking the circulation when lying on my side. Sound too simple? Try it.

Comment from: Sluggulchlady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have had nightly leg pain for so long now that I can't even remember when it began. I would guess around 1992 but not sure. The funny thing about it is that it only occurs at night. The nightly leg pain began with a burning sensation in both legs, sort of like what your skin would feel like after being burned, or like sandpaper being rubbed roughly over your skin until it's raw. Now it's changed to not only the burning, but also pain throughout both legs. I've learned to sleep through the night but it's not a real restful sleep. If the pain wakes me, I can get some relief by sticking my legs out of the bed covers, or raising my knees up, but it is hard to keep them up for long. But it still returns when I cover up again. Last night my legs hurt so bad that even when I got up in the morning they continued to have pain. I decided to go for a walk and that helped relieve the pain. Once, a while back, my doctor told me it was peripheral neuropathy and said he could give me a medicine for it. I declined. I've learned to live with this pain for so long and I don't want to take medicines for it. I just would like to know what it is and why it started.

Comment from: LadyBanker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have chronic kidney disease (CKD) stage 4, and had experimental drug of Acthar gel for 16 months, then one dose of rituximab to maintain kidney function, and then on prednisone for 6 months. I am no longer taking any of this medications and having severe bone pain in legs and arms. I have been checked for all kinds of cancers, all negative. I wonder if the bone pain is after taking any of these drugs.

Comment from: FJG, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 17

As a volunteer driver, I drove a lady patient to a hospital that is 250 kilometers away two days in a row. This lady was always sweating to an extent that she asked me to turn the air conditioner down so low that I could feel cold air on my left leg. I got home after the second trip chilled to the bone. I immediately got into bed and was in bed for the next week before I warmed up. Since then, I have pain in the upper and bottom section of my left leg which is very painful so much that I am not able to walk. I have tried a heating pad, rubbing ointment but to no avail. I can only sleep in my Lazy Boy chair. I would appreciate some advice or remedy. I wonder if this would be arthritis setting in, or just cold.

Comment from: niya, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

When I finish office or after play football I pain on foot.

Comment from: lechasa g., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

Since 2 years gradually my left legs got thin but my right leg gets ever and this is causing leg pain.

Comment from: Ela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

After gall bladder surgery, I began to feel like a cramp was developing in my lower left leg. I have yet to seek medical attention regarding this condition. I may mention it to the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: Archana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

The pain in my left leg started about 15 days ago. Truly I do not know how to fully describe it. First, as of now it is not disturbing my day to day activities and is not always present. But at different times of the day different parts of the left gives a stinging kind of feeling. Sometimes it is the lower portion of the thigh, sometimes it is the knee, at other times it is the front of the lower leg. While lying down I find it sometimes laborious to lift my left leg and turn my body. But not always. While I touch those parts, the pain is not there. This situation has been there for quite some time that I feel that it could not be normal and that some care is needed but I really do not know as to which specialist I should approach.

Must Read Articles Related to Leg Pain

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone)
Bone Fracture (Broken Bone) Fractures occur when bone cannot withstand the outside forces applied to the bone. Fractures can be open or closed. Types of fractures include: greenstick, spir...learn more >>
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral Vascular Disease The circulatory system consists of 2 types of blood vessels: arteries and veins. These are tubular structures that carry the blood throughout the body.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Leg Pain:

Leg Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your leg pain?

Leg Pain - Prognosis

What is your leg pain prognosis?

Leg Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with leg pain.