Viewer Comments: Head Lice Infestation - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lice:

Head Lice Infestation - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

A lot of what I read about lice is false from my experience. My grandchildren came here with lice about 6 months ago. I have been trying to get rid of them ever since. They managed to get rid of them but, I can't. I have tried everything. They say they don't crawl on you and that is bull. I can feel them crawl up my body and eventually get into my hair. I have no nits. As soon as I feel them I brush my hair over the tub. I see one crawling in the bath tub. Yesterday I brushed one off my back and saw it crawling around. I have washed and dried everything, cleaned my carpet, vacuumed, ironed my bed and my couch, have stuff in plastic bags, wrapped my whole couch in plastic, washed my curtains, have my scatter rugs still in bags for 3 months. I unwrapped my couch and got attacked. Rid, or any of the over the counter shampoos do not work, I even had the Dr give me 2 different types of prescription medicine. I follow the directions. I have even put kerosene on my head, and Malathion to the point I had to call 911. I have sprayed my house a million times. The only thing that kills them is vinegar. So, now I have sprayed my couch with pure vinegar and carpet and myself. I have a rash from all the stuff, my head is dry. I have tried home remedies; basil oil, peroxide, alcohol, olive oil, tea tree oil, Eucalyptus oil, peppermint, oregano and other spices made into tea. Some work. People have checked my hair and there are no nits/eggs. Vaselined my hair, baby oil, olive oil and left it on all night. Sleep with my pillow wrapped in plastic. Change my pillow cases nightly; wash my brushes 4 times a day in boiling water and alcohol for 1/2 hr. So the theory that they die within so many days is bull. My couch was covered for months and I did not sit on it. When I unwrapped the plastic, they were still alive in there, the adults and babies. So I think someone should re evaluate their theories. I have had it. I don't even want anyone to come over. I itch at work, but no one else does. I brush the bugs off in the toilet. They have treated with their hospital stuff for lice. I am still itching. I'm lost and fed up.

Comment from: Cal, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I've had lice now for 3 months, and haven't really gone out and purchased any treatments yet because at first they don't itch much and you are a bit scared of walking out of the shop with anti lice treatments and people looking at you a bit weird, but not anymore, I just want them to go. I have crabs for sure, maybe head lice, and I keep mistaking dry flaky skin for body lice. I watched a thing a year ago and it said there's a new breed of lice that are immune to today's treatments. I hope I don't have these super lice. Anyway, a good way to cure crabs without treatments is to stay is the bath for about 2 days; they can't survive that long under water.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I combed my daughter's hair one morning and saw eggs. I recognized them I don't know how. Never had any before. So, I took her to school, phoned her teacher, we met in the nurse's room. The nurse confirmed; the nurse checked me also and she said "you don't have any." So, I took my daughter to the clinic; the treatment cost me $90; they also checked me and found zillions - over a month worth of eggs and lice. Another $75. My husband: one louse, many eggs. $75. They told me that we will need about...4-6 sessions. They told me that I need to wash daily all pillow cases, sheets, towels, to vacuuum, to shampoo our hair daily, 3 times per day, to comb the nits out; I bought $150 woth of Rid and other medical stuff, and realizing that I am about to lose my mind. I decided for all of us to get our scalps shaved. No buzz cuts. Shaved. All of us. My daughter cried a river. I was firm. I came home and gahtered EVERYHTING that was clothing and took them to the laundrymat; shampooed the carpet, couches hell just broke. Some hell we couldn't contain, for we did not know the A and Z. At school they said Nobody has any. I was mad. The same nurse who told me I have none. So, I spoke with the principal. He said, sure, we will check them again. He never did. For the next morning I checked a few of girls my daughter was sitting next in the class. Their mothers got offended and complained to the principle who in return called me. Is this the worst thing possible? of course not. However, it turns your life - for a while- upside down; my nerves were frail. I was itching, depressed, nervous, angry. We live in the 21st century, we have Kindle and humans on the Moon. What is the situation with some bugs? My daughter still goes at school with her cap on. I am terrified by the thought that this could happen again. My skin itches when I only think about it. HEEEEEEEEELP!

Comment from: ddavis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am dealing with lice now. I found out Friday night that I had it. My friend (beautician) and I sat at her house for 3 hours combing my hair and getting the nits, nymphs, and adult lice out! We got thousands and thousands out of my head. I had had it about a month. I just thought I had dandruff and then it started itching worse so I called my best fiend also my hairdresser to take a look at my hair and I was defiantly infested. We got the most of them out that night. I went back over there Friday morning and we put mayo on my hair and let it set for about 30 mins. and then we combed thru it again. We got most of the remaining ones out. I'm still doing mayo on my head every night until I know for a fact that they are gone. The first night we treated we used RID then after that we put mayo on my head and let it set for awhile then washed it out and combed again. The second day we just did the mayo. Yesterday we let my hair rest and today (Monday) we are going to do another mayo treatment and leave it on my hair overnight. Then come Friday again I'm going to go get some more RID and do it again just to be on the safe side. I threw my sheets, hairbrushes, ponytail holders, clips, and everything away. I washed all blankets, vacuumed the floor, couch, mattresses repeatedly, swept the floor and moped. Hopefully this coming up weekend I'll be lice free.

Must Read Articles Related to Lice

Crabs (Pubic Lice)
Crabs Crabs (pubic lice) is a parasitic infection. Causes of crabs include sexual contact with an infected person, contaminated towels, bedding, or clothing. The main...learn more >>
Scabies
Scabies Scabies is a skin condition that causes severe itching. Scabies lesions on the skin may look like pimples, and the skin may also be red. Treatment involves wash...learn more >>
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread through any type of sexual activity ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lice:

Head Lice Infestation Advice - Treatment

How did you treat your head lice infestation?

Head Lice - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your head lice?