Viewer Comments: Liver Blood Tests - Experience with Elevated Levels

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Blood Tests:

Liver Blood Tests - Experience with Elevated Levels

If your AST or ALT blood levels were elevated at one time or now, please share your experience with diagnosis of the cause and treatments.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I have had hepatitis C for about 20 years. I hadn't had liver level test for a while as I was all fine, but went to the doctor and had tests done. The doctor told me that normal liver levels should be 15 and that mine is over 2 million! I am going to have treatment for hepatitis C this year sometime. I wonder if I should stay close to medical assistance with liver level this high, as I live out in the bush.

Comment from: top39, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a scarred liver from my early 20s, right after a bad date in the 1970s. In the late 1990s I received treatment for autoimmune hepatitis. At first the steroid treatment reduced the scarring. But then one day my doctor looked troubled. The scarring had changed direction. In 2002 I was downsized and my treatment stopped. I was unemployed and stayed home. In 2004 I started a different job until I injured my arm in 2007. Then I really stayed home. I did nothing but eat and sleep for six years. In April 2013 my liver was normal again. I feel that rest had everything to do with it. I started working again, and my electrolytes are up again.

Must Read Articles Related to Liver Blood Tests

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Acetaminophen Poisoning  (Tylenol)
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning is caused primarily by damage to the liver. Symptoms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Blood Tests:

Liver Blood Tests - Causes

What was the cause of your elevated liver blood values?

Live Blood Tests - Medications as Cause

What medication or medications elevated your liver blood enzymes, and how was it treated?

Liver Blood Tests Abnormal - Results

What were the results of your liver blood test?

Liver Blood Tests - Diagnosis

Please describe how Liver Blood Tests has helped in your diagnosis.