Viewer Comments: Liver Transplant - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Transplant:

Liver Transplant - Causes

What was the cause of you needing a liver transplant?

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: November 09

My liver was destroyed by a prescription drug for diabetes, which is no longer on the market. I've had the new liver for 13 years and all is well.

Comment from: godmloves me, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

My liver transplant was caused because I damaged my liver with too much drinking. I nearly died, but it has been eight months since my transplant and I really want to live.

Comment from: steve g, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Nearly 50 years of Hep B was worsened by heavy drinking. Cirrhosis of liver was confirmed with a transplant required within five years.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 14

Acute intermittent hepatic porphyria caused me to need a liver transplant.

Comment from: Steve G, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

Hepatitis B and abuse of alcohol was the reason I needed a liver transplant.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 31

My husband (age 58) had Hep C from previous IV drug and alcohol abuse. He has been sober for 29 years, though. Unfortunately, because of the incubation time for Hep C, we did not realize he had this which subsequently led to cirrhosis and ultimately primary liver cancer. He was placed on the liver transplant list but the wait time was unknown. Our 21 yr old daughter was a clinical match and did donate 60% of her liver to her dad in 2010. Initially, they both did well, but my husband experienced multiple complications as a result of, what was explained to me, as my daughters vessels were too small which caused my husband to have multiple complications, including 3 life threatening GI bleeds, necessitating another. He is now in a nursing home after spending more than 6 months in an acute care facility, with again, multiple complications, including, massive weight loss, pneumonia x 3, nausea, constant vomiting and weight loss.

Must Read Articles Related to Liver Transplant

Acetaminophen Poisoning  (Tylenol)
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning is caused primarily by damage to the liver. Symptoms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal ...learn more >>
Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a scarring of the learn more >>
Hepatitis C Medications
Current and Future Medications for Hepatitis C Inflammation of the liver caused by infection with ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Transplant:

Liver Transplant - Patient Experience

Did you have a liver transplant? If so, please describe your experience.

Liver Disease - Symptoms

What were the first symptoms of liver disease you experienced?