Viewer Comments: Liver Transplant - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Transplant:

Liver Transplant - Causes

What was the cause of you needing a liver transplant?

Comment from: cat50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I was diagnosed 9 years ago with cirrhosis. I did not drink to get it.

Comment from: jake, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

Alcohol and hemochromatosis caused my need for a liver transplant.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

My husband has PSC, primary sclerosing cholangiolitis. He was diagnosed with PSC on his 57 birthday in February. He does have a history of ulcerative colitis. We started on our new adventure of getting on the liver transplant list. He has not felt well since February and he cannot work due to weakness. He has had stents placed in the ducts in his liver four times. At this time his bilirubin is 11. We will continue to pray for strength.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

Drinking alcohol from age 16 to age 64 caused me to need a liver transplant.

Comment from: tcwyatt96, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I inherited a mutated gene called Factor V Leiden from my mother, which put me at high risk for clots. My liver clotted shut and by the time I realized something was wrong at age 38, it had already caused me to have a liver disease called Budd Chiari Syndrome. Tips did not work so they by-passed my liver by moving the portal vein above the clotted hepatic veins and putting a shunt in it to keep me alive. I am waiting for my numbers to change so I can be placed on the transplant list.

Comment from: A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Breast cancer that has spread to my liver and bone.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: November 09

My liver was destroyed by a prescription drug for diabetes, which is no longer on the market. I've had the new liver for 13 years and all is well.

Comment from: godmloves me, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

My liver transplant was caused because I damaged my liver with too much drinking. I nearly died, but it has been eight months since my transplant and I really want to live.

Comment from: steve g, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Nearly 50 years of Hep B was worsened by heavy drinking. Cirrhosis of liver was confirmed with a transplant required within five years.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 14

Acute intermittent hepatic porphyria caused me to need a liver transplant.

Comment from: Steve G, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

Hepatitis B and abuse of alcohol was the reason I needed a liver transplant.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 31

My husband (age 58) had Hep C from previous IV drug and alcohol abuse. He has been sober for 29 years, though. Unfortunately, because of the incubation time for Hep C, we did not realize he had this which subsequently led to cirrhosis and ultimately primary liver cancer. He was placed on the liver transplant list but the wait time was unknown. Our 21 yr old daughter was a clinical match and did donate 60% of her liver to her dad in 2010. Initially, they both did well, but my husband experienced multiple complications as a result of, what was explained to me, as my daughters vessels were too small which caused my husband to have multiple complications, including 3 life threatening GI bleeds, necessitating another. He is now in a nursing home after spending more than 6 months in an acute care facility, with again, multiple complications, including, massive weight loss, pneumonia x 3, nausea, constant vomiting and weight loss.

Must Read Articles Related to Liver Transplant

Acetaminophen Poisoning  (Tylenol)
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning is caused primarily by damage to the liver. Symptoms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal ...learn more >>
Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Hepatitis C Medications
Current and Future Medications for Hepatitis C Inflammation of the liver caused by infection with the hepatitis C virus (HCV) is referred to as hepatitis C. There are a variety of treatments available for he...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Transplant:

Liver Transplant - Patient Experience

Did you have a liver transplant? If so, please describe your experience.

Liver Disease - Symptoms

What were the first symptoms of liver disease you experienced?