Viewer Comments: Liver Transplant - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Transplant:

Liver Transplant - Causes

What was the cause of you needing a liver transplant?

Comment from: anon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I was diagnosed with Budd Chiari disease (I make too many red blood cells causing clots) after collapsing on holiday 10 years ago. I needed a liver transplant within 48 hours. Luckily for me one became available and I have cherished every day since.

Comment from: Don, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had 4 back to back liver transplants at the University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics from 10/03/2002 thru 10/13/2002. I am now 12 years out from my surgery and doing great. The doctor says that I will never die from my liver.

Comment from: cat50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I was diagnosed 9 years ago with cirrhosis. I did not drink to get it.

Comment from: jake, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

Alcohol and hemochromatosis caused my need for a liver transplant.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

My husband has PSC, primary sclerosing cholangiolitis. He was diagnosed with PSC on his 57 birthday in February. He does have a history of ulcerative colitis. We started on our new adventure of getting on the liver transplant list. He has not felt well since February and he cannot work due to weakness. He has had stents placed in the ducts in his liver four times. At this time his bilirubin is 11. We will continue to pray for strength.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

Drinking alcohol from age 16 to age 64 caused me to need a liver transplant.

Comment from: tcwyatt96, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I inherited a mutated gene called Factor V Leiden from my mother, which put me at high risk for clots. My liver clotted shut and by the time I realized something was wrong at age 38, it had already caused me to have a liver disease called Budd Chiari Syndrome. Tips did not work so they by-passed my liver by moving the portal vein above the clotted hepatic veins and putting a shunt in it to keep me alive. I am waiting for my numbers to change so I can be placed on the transplant list.

Comment from: A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Breast cancer that has spread to my liver and bone.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: November 09

My liver was destroyed by a prescription drug for diabetes, which is no longer on the market. I've had the new liver for 13 years and all is well.

Comment from: godmloves me, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

My liver transplant was caused because I damaged my liver with too much drinking. I nearly died, but it has been eight months since my transplant and I really want to live.

Comment from: steve g, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Nearly 50 years of Hep B was worsened by heavy drinking. Cirrhosis of liver was confirmed with a transplant required within five years.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 14

Acute intermittent hepatic porphyria caused me to need a liver transplant.

Must Read Articles Related to Liver Transplant

Acetaminophen Poisoning  (Tylenol)
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning is caused primarily by damage to the liver. Symptoms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal ...learn more >>
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Hepatitis C Medications
Current and Future Medications for Hepatitis C Inflammation of the liver caused by infection with the hepatitis C virus (HCV) is referred to as hepatitis C. There are a variety of treatments available for he...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Transplant:

Liver Transplant - Patient Experience

Did you have a liver transplant? If so, please describe your experience.

Liver Disease - Symptoms

What were the first symptoms of liver disease you experienced?