Viewer Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar):

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: becca, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My father, my three brothers and I are all hypoglycemic. My dad (who learned it from his dad) calls it the weak trembles. None of us have ever known what is really was until recently. It had been a long day, and I had a three hour drive in front of me and I knew that I had to eat. Hadn't eaten anything all day except for an egg with toast and I could feel the weak trembles coming on strong. I stopped to eat, I took two bites of a fast food chicken sandwich and one sip of soda and my body freaked out. Long story short I ended up calling an ambulance and spent several hours in the hospital. I couldn't breathe and thought I was having a heart attack (I am a healthy 27). So humiliating to find why I went in. At Thanksgiving the family talked and I thought I would share our collective knowledge here no bread (ever!), before a physically demanding day eat fruit or something high in protein no pancakes, or waffles, or biscuits, etc. Peanut butter, honey, candy bars, ice cream are great immediate cures for the shakes during the day. Lay down if at all possible when the shakes come on. For me, the first sign that I need to eat is a cold sweat.

Comment from: Karen Rathgeb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I am 51 years old and have been having low blood sugar symptoms. I had weight loss surgery three years ago and just now, I have been having these symptoms: shaking, fast heartbeat, shortness of breath. I take my tablets with me everywhere I go. I have three small children and when I take them to school, I sometimes get an attack and need to pull over and take a tablet.

Comment from: Nery726 , 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I am 58 years old. I began having low sugar episodes. It has gotten worse, as my doctor told me that I'm in line to develop diabetes.

Comment from: Trimama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I'm a triathlete and recently had real issues with low blood sugar. I also have low blood pressure. I was at a triathlon and passed out in transition and was pulled from the event with a blood sugar of 38. I am trying to get regulated but I have muscle weakness, ill feeling, sweaty palms, and I just feel terrible. My doctor wants me to not work out for a time being but, now I feel a little depressed not exercising. I have been eating more often but, still have ups and downs. I ate many times today and had dinner at 8pm by 9:45 felt dizzy, tested and was 70. Why low so quickly after eating protein, good carbs? This is just crazy. Eating every two hours, and the doctor limited me to two miles a day of running. That is barely a warm-up! I don't want to give up triathlons.

Comment from: knows, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had problems with my sugar levels dropping now for about 20 years. Recently a doctor told me to keep an eye on it and control it by eating more smaller meals, but what I have found is to drink one of the high protein weight loss-type (generic) shakes at mid-morning, then between lunch and supper drink another. This seems to help greatly to regulate my sugar throughout the day. Sometimes I have to drink another one but I've found also found that a huge spoon of peanut butter or a chunk of cheese (both high protein) works better than anything else I've tried. It's trial and error but the main thing is high protein. Good Luck!

Comment from: Teal_Magnolia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was dx with hypo through 5-hour glucose tolerance test about 20 years ago. Proper eating habits keep my sugar level stable. When I do have the occasional drop (headache, shakes, confusion, panicky feeling) I drink about six ounces of milk. I wait about 15-minutes then drink more milk if needed. If I can, I follow immediately with a small meal.

Comment from: Troubledheart, 55-64 Female Published: October 31

Just recently I lost my brother to Type 1 diabetes hypoglycemic state. For years he has fought hypoglycemia. Without warning, he would become confused, shaky and sometimes violent. It took a sugary drink to bring him back to normal. He spoke of not being hungry and feeling sick. The other comments helped to fully understand the condition. He had a very expensive insulin pump but could not maintain his levels. With very good insurance, he did not have the very best medical care because the doctor could not help him manage the disease. His death was ruled cardiac arrest but he had no plague filled arteries. The most puzzling is that where he was lying, there were large wet spots where he apparently had sweated. The sweating is a symptom that most comments listed in association with hypoglycemic conditions. My best advice is to not marry a specific doctor. Continue to change and or research for ways to improve your health. Keep up with testing for your glucose levels, pancreas, liver and adrenal system. Don't let anything worry you to reduce your stress to control epinephrine from elevating your blood glucose, which can result in hypoglycemia.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Diabetic Ketoacidosis
Diabetic Ketoacidosis Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>
Epilepsy
Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar):

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hypoglycemia?

From WebMD