Viewer Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar):

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: Janice, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I work at a hospital and sometimes we are so busy we don't have time to eat. I was working in the ER and it was packed with people. I started get really hot, nauseous, hungry, and felt faint. I knew I was in trouble and I needed to eat something but there was no time. Worse yet I had forgotten my money at home and had to run home at lunch and come back and could only grab a snack from a vending machine. It is a scary feeling to know you're going to pass out at any moment and there is nothing you can do to stop it. I now carry a drink on me and try to make sure I don't skip any meals.

Comment from: ael39pa, 65-74 Female Published: June 06

I have had hypoglycemia for many years and during this time I have learned to eat regularly--whether or not I am actually hungry. If I do not eat the proper combination/less than usual or if I am unusually late for a meal, I may get a "shakey spell." My quick remedy for this is an ounce or so of cheese---whatever is handy. When I worked, I kept cheese in office refrigerator. In 30 minutes or so, I usually felt better. Hope this helps someone else.

Comment from: Pamsue, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My husband is 65 years old and diabetic. He insists on drinking beer once in awhile (when he does, it's heavy and won't eat). For the past 3 years he has had these hypoglycemia attacks about 5 times. It's very scary and you feel helpless. One time I actually called 911 because he was not aware I did and I was scared. He was losing it fast, and I had figured it had to do with drinking and his diabetes. Other times he wouldn't let me call. After the EMTs arrived they gave him an insulin shot and gave him an IV. His blood test showed it was down to 38. About a half hour later he was much better. They told me if it ever happened again, to make sure he eats a peanut and butter sandwich and drink juice (preferably orange juice) before he goes to bed and it should avoid this attack until he gets up in the morning for breakfast. Obviously, the best thing is to quit drinking! But oh no, a man won't do what a woman tells him…

Comment from: 75 or over Male Published: February 22

For my hypoglycemia, sugar cubes or non-diet soda works every time.

I'm a type 2 diabetic. 16oz of cola or other caffeinated high sugar soda works faster than the glucose tablets.

Comment from: Kerri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

My hypoglycemia was mild and undiagnosed until about ten years ago when I got lost on the way to work. I simply could not remember how to get there. After diagnosis, my doctor told me to eat 6 small meals each day, some protein and some carbs each time. I have found that, for me, the best solution is a balance of a minimum of 12 grams of protein and around 20-25 grams of carbs. This means most pasta or rice dishes are taboo.

Comment from: g-malu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 58 yr old female. For years I have bee diagnosed as borderline-diabetic. My test results have always come back negative (glucose, A1C, etc). Lately I'm not able to get out of bed after working 3-11 shifts and midnights. Daylight shifts don't seem to be a big problem for me. I began checking my glucose level in the mornings and they have been as low as 28-54. During the waking hours they remain normal and at the end of the day they rise to about 100. My vision changed to 20/20 at age 40. I still don't need glasses. I am however, tired all the time and hungry all the time. My job is strenuous/physical. This has been going on for so long that it is very depressing. It began in the early 1990's and just recently peaked.

Comment from: NellB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia years ago. My mother, brothers and sisters have it in many different forms. I had first passed out from it about 6 years ago and have had bad episodes ever since. Symptoms usually start with nausea, then the sweats, shaking, rapid heartbeat, and confusion. Less severe symptoms include random mood swings, feeling lightheaded, and slight shaking of my hands. I usually have a bottle of orange juice with me at all times, along with peanut butter crackers, nuts, an apple, and plain yogurt. Constant snacking and balanced meals have been the only things that really help. Even with that sometimes it still flares up. The worst thing is trying to find a doctor that takes it seriously. Usually I'm met with "just pop a piece of candy." It sounds good, but not when you're in the middle of an episode and could choke. Find a doctor that understands the condition and can recommend a diet that works for you.

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: November 16

Hi There! I am a 30 year old male, 6' and about 190 lbs. I work all day fueled by coffee until I remember to eat anything (usually around 2-3 PM). Often times, I run by the microwave in the office and toss in a meal. People find them hours later because I forget to come back and get them. My sugar reading was 44 on a blood test last year. People who exhibit similar behavior can end up with low blood sugars (a condition called hypoglycemia) that can then flip over to diabetes anytime. Once that happens, it is irreversible. I just got off the phone with a nice person who requires a machine insider their stomach to keep track of sugar levels and also a 24-hour pump that delivers insulin. The warning to me should be offered to everyone. If you forget to eat or think you are too busy to take time for more than 1-2 meals a day - think again or it could cost you much more than the 5 minutes a day it takes to stop and eat.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Diabetic Ketoacidosis
Diabetic Ketoacidosis Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>
Epilepsy
Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar):

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hypoglycemia?