Viewer Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar):

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: Marti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am 63 and have had hypoglycemia for over 30 years. It started when I was a member of Diet Center in the 80's, a low or no carb diet. I would wake up around 3 PM starving to death and would just about make it to the kitchen for a few bites of banana. Now even though I eat carbs during the day, I rarely have a night when I do not wake up with severe hunger. I have learned to keep a bag of pecans by my bed side. It helps me to fall back to sleep but come morning I am very hungry again. Another symptom during the 3 PM feeding is stomach or intestine noise. I feel as though when my body has no more food to digest that instead of using stored energy, my body registers starvation. I have been watching my food intake for years but have not been losing weight.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: November 02

Eating small meals between breakfast lunch and dinner is essential, i.e.: banana, cheese and whole grain crackers, peanut butter on apple slices. Never slip breakfast, your body needs a constant source of energy or blood sugar will start off low, first thing in the morning. I keep a brown paper bag in my nightstand to breathe into if hyperventilation-type symptoms set in (usually in the evening after I am emotionally and or physically drained). Visualize yourself calming down and control your breathing, drink sips of water, then orange juice or a small amount of a soda to replace the necessary sugar into your system. Follow up with cheese and crackers. The hypoglycemic reaction dissipates if you feel that you can eat something. I am exhausted after these episodes and need to rest. Stay positive and learn to see what triggers the symptoms. Exercise to help manage stress, that can trigger symptoms. Learn to prioritize, type-A people need to know their limits. These symptoms are scary but they do pass. They can be managed and they sometimes come out of nowhere it seems. Educate those around you and let them know that they can offer reassurance that you will be fine.

Comment from: marwal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

The past few days I've been really anxious and having night sweats. And when I eat, which is only about twice a day, as I'm rarely hungry, I feel like I'm so ravenous and I can't get the food in fast enough. As a person with an anxiety disorder, I just passed this all off. But tonight I was in the grocery store, and knew I was in trouble when I started to shake, sweat, and get a little confused. I took the last 'sugared' pop from the cooler at the deli section, opened it and guzzled it. Twenty minutes later, it was as if nothing had happened. It really scared me though, and I ate a normal meal when I got home, even though I wasn't hungry. I take an immunosuppressant for a chronic illness (not diabetes), and I need to go for kidney and liver function blood work regularly. I haven't gone for blood work in a very long time. And I was reading in the article that it's a good idea to check kidney and liver function. I'd better go to the lab next week! I don't have any form of diabetes, and even had a glucose tolerance test done earlier this year, and I was normal. Now I'm worried that low blood sugar might hit me at any time! I'm just going to have to carry sugary snacks with me for now, until I find out what's going on.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been experiencing hypoglycemia symptoms for many years now. A few years ago after taking a glucose blood test for diabetes, I had a huge sugar crash after drinking some coffee on an empty stomach before eating. I came close to passing out at the table before shoveling food down my throat. Ever since then, my hypoglycemic attacks seem to sneak up on me unexpectedly. This leaves me anxious and weak for the next few days. I wish there was something I could do for myself, since its happening more often.

Comment from: (Caregiver) Published: October 07

Long before I came along, my dad has suffered from hypoglycemia (among a lot of other health issues). I knew what glucose sugar tablets were before I started kindergarten. I also learned that when Dad turned pasty white, shaky, and sweat poured down his forehead, to grab a bag of candy and a Pepsi.

Comment from: HypoglycemiaGuy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

Lately every morning I have an attack if I don't 15 minutes prior to getting on the train to work. I have not had these attacks before. I used to get the shacks during the day warning me to eat. Now I get no warning! When the attack comes on I feel like I walked into an oven, then I feel sick and have to lie down. I am poring sweat from all pours. I take a glucose pill and start felling better in about 15 minutes, but I am drained of energy for the day. A couple months ago I had an attack on the train also but this time I stood up during the attack and passed out. In need help to know what I need to do each morning in order not to have these attacks.

Comment from: mkvy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I just had an attack of hypoglycemia and pulled over to eat. While waiting for that feeling to go away I read the comments on this site. It was helpful. I try to eat high protein snacks every two hours although sometimes symptoms sneak up on me. It scares me. I worry about diabetes because my situation is becoming harder to manage with food. Stress and labor seem to be a factor.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Diabetic Ketoacidosis
Diabetic Ketoacidosis Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>
Epilepsy
Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar):

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hypoglycemia?