Viewer Comments: Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar):

Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hypoglycemia?

Comment from: vicky26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I got told i was having a low blood sugar attack by the doctor when i was 15. I can remember my first attack like it was yesterday (i'm 26 now). I was in the bus station when i started to feel sick, my vision went and i couldn't walk properly. My friend helped me onto the bus. When i sat down my vision returned and i was dripping in sweat especially on my forehead. I had nothing to eat that day and was showing symptoms by 2:45pm. It is very scary to go through that when you don't know why it's happening. My doctor told me not to skip meals and carry something sweet with me all the time. I have been out on a 'night out' and had blackouts out a few times even though i've not been drunk. So it's true that alcohol affects it. I have had a few episodes since but i know now when i need to get something to eat. I get irratable and feel severe hunger to the point of feeling sick. Symptoms stop as soon as i get food.I normally carry glucose tablets with me. Does anyone know if i am more at risk of developing diabetes? I have no other health problems. I've been tested for diabetes and it was negative.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I lost 50 pounds on a low carbohydrate diet in a 6 month period. After that I stayed on a relatively low carb diet for the next 2 years. Recently I begin blacking out and was hospitalized with severe hypoglycemia. The urgent care doctor called me pre-seizure. My sugar drops into the 40's and 60's even after eating. I am now including complex carbs in my diet but am still having episodes. My doctors suspect insulinoma but have not found it yet. I am a 57 year old woman, weigh 151 at 5'6". This low carb diet was not based on Atkins and was pretty balanced, including fruit and veggies. It did include a drug call phendimetrazine. The doctors I talked to in the hospital said that this was a bad drug and that it should be taken off the market. I had taken this medication while dieting for approximately 8 months. I am hoping that the dieting did not cause this problem but I have a feeling it did.

I am a 51 year old who began having low sugar episodes, usually around 3:30 pm, since the 20's. Dr. told me at that time "so eat something". It has gotten progressively worse through the years to the point that I carry glucose tablets with me at all times, but I have had an episode where 2 tablets did not alleviate the sugar drop, but food did. I can feel it coming on for a few minutes prior to getting shaky and light headed, but this may happen anytime and numerous times during the day now. Especially scary are the episodes while I'm driving or taking a long walk. I find myself eating when I'm not hungry to stave off a future sugar drop and have put on too much weight as a result (5'7,160lbs). Sugar drops may be anywhere from an hour and a half to three hours after meals. I wish the medical profession would work harder on this health issue!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I'm 33 and have had hypoglycemia for several years. When I first realized I had low blood sugar I began to carry candy in my purse at all times, but in talking to a different doctor and learning a bit more about my problem, I came to a much better solution. I now realize that having snacks with higher protein and less sugar level me out much quicker and last much longer. My favorites are beef jerky and almonds. I also like to eat Greek yogurt or a whole wheat bagel in the morning both of which also have much higher protein than the norm. Start out well in the morning and you'll be less likely to crash later in the day.

Comment from: NJfasto, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

Every so often with my hypoglycemia, I'll get that kind of feeling, “I need food now!” Well, I was doing some deliveries yesterday, and I made the error of not bringing any food or water with me in the truck. By my third delivery, I was getting frosty and woozy, my legs were heavy, etc. I knew I was in trouble, and I humbly asked a customer if I could have a glass of water. Next, I shot over to a food mart and got a Gatorade and Snickers that did the trick. But for half an hour, I was getting nervous. Food does the cure in a jiffy.

Comment from: Lucky Lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 56 year old woman, 5' 7" tall. In June I weighed 214 lbs and began a low carbohydrate diet. In the fall I started having severe headaches. I went to the doctor and she said I had a sinus infection, and prescribed antibiotics. After taking them, I still had the headaches. In the meantime, my husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was messing with his blood sugar monitor, and came up 26 once and 'lo' once. When I went back to the doctor about my headaches, I mentioned this to her, and she said I was probably going too low on carbohydrates. I also discovered that I wasn't eating enough calories, (shows the importance of tracking what you eat). After increasing both the calories and carbohydrates, my blood sugar tested this morning at 97. However, I am still having the headaches, but not a severe. Low blood sugar may not be the cause of my headaches, but I am so glad I talked to my doctor about it. I could have been much worse off than just a headache if I had continued with my eating habits.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Diabetic Ketoacidosis
Diabetic Ketoacidosis Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>
Epilepsy
Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar):

Hypoglycemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hypoglycemia?