Viewer Comments: Low Potassium - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

Comment from: Gippy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

First I took blood pressure pills that reduced water. My potassium dropped (which I didn't know at the time). My heart went into SVTs (supraventricular tachycardia). My rate was immeasurable and could best be described as in a flutter. I was given Adenocard to reset my rhythm. I am glad it worked but very scary stuff. This happened 3 times over a month before it was found my potassium was low. I went back on beta blockers, problem solved. I had been sick, and I went into SVT. I stopped at drug store and took some potassium pills, and it cleared right up. I had diarrhea recently, again SVT, again potassium, again ok; so far!

Comment from: Mouse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My symptoms of low potassium are rapid and erratic heartbeat. My heart beat will range from 95 to 130 beats and will change very rapidly, every second. I also experience dizziness. It started about 5 years ago while taking a diuretic. I had an episode today, and I took my potassium medication to stop it. I am also not currently taking diuretics.

Comment from: brenenpam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

Low potassium was the cause of a lot of my aches and pains that I had been writing off as getting older. I take a high blood pressure pill with a water pill in it. This caused my potassium levels to drop to very low levels. I now take 30 mg of potassium a day so I don't I get the following symptoms. I have tiredness and swollen ankles, and my hips, shoulders and fingers hurt very badly. At times it is difficult to walk. My heart races while in bed. I don't notice it during the day. But as long as I keep up my 30 mg of potassium a day, I am fine.

Comment from: Deedee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had a cortisone shot for nerve pain in my back and leg. The next morning I was almost paralyzed. I was carried to the emergency room and could not walk or use my arms. I could barely lift a finger because of hypokalemia. They pumped potassium into my body for 4 days in ICU. I was in danger of my heart stopping. I went home and felt ill again so they put me back in the hospital for a few more days with too much potassium. Scary!

Comment from: JLW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

Severe dry mouth was my symptom of low potassium. I take stool softeners with laxative because of pain killer use. I also take small dose of water pill for swelling in legs.

Comment from: Rschillereff, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

This is the second time this has happened to me. My legs hurt and for some reason I could not hold my head up. I tried to drive home from work and kept falling asleep at the wheel and had to stop and pull over. My husband found me hours and hours later. I never heard my phone ring, nothing. I had taken a water pill because my legs were swollen and just now kind of figured out for myself that what had happened was hypokalemia.

Comment from: nor din, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I have had many cramps on my legs, typically on my right leg, when I wake up from sleep at night. Recently a friend and a doctor suggest to me that I might be low on potassium (hypokalemia). I know potassium is also found in bananas. I started eating a banana a day as a supplement to my diet. I seems to have no cramps on my leg, or anywhere so far.

Comment from: Jdb, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Low potassium can be caused by low magnesium. I had temporary paralysis of my right arm and couldn't hold my other arm above my head. After supplementing potassium powder with magnesium powder which can be purchased online I felt amazing. No more fatigue which was two years ongoing. No more limbs that felt heavy; or weakness in general. Potassium can be deadly if supplemented too fast and must be supplemented with large amounts of water to ensure we are not dehydrated but we require 4500 mg per day.

Comment from: Parsley127, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I just spent 2 days in the hospital due to low potassium (hypokalemia). It caused me to faint after 15 to 20 minutes of feeling dizzy. It was diagnosed by ruling out everything else. Four CAT scans, dye injected into my veins, radioactive material injected into my veins, x-rays, an MRI, and too many blood tests to count, at least I can say that I know I'm healthy. Potassium pills cured me within a few minutes, once they found what it was.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Potassium

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic kidney disease causes are diseases of the kidne...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Causes

What was the cause of your low potassium?

Low Potassium - Medical Treatment

What treatments were effective in treating low potassium or hypokalemia?