Viewer Comments: Low Potassium - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

Comment from: Reyna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I never experienced problems with low potassium. Actually my potassium level was always at 4. One morning I woke up with severe stomach cramps, nauseated and sweating profusely. I did not get any better and my husband rushed me to the ER. By this time I could hardly get out of bed and when I did I passed out. I was very lethargic and not a clue what was going on around me. The ER doctor informed me that my potassium to a dangerous level 2.4. Finally by March 2014 my potassium was back to 4. Just now I found out my potassium is dropping again is at 3.3. Of course I am again under treatment, but I have not a clue what is causing my problem.

Comment from: nana102662, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Starting with my hands, it went to my arms, chest, legs and then feet: All were tingly and started going numb. My heart was beating so hard and fast. My speech was slurred and my face was starting to feel numb and tingly. I was taken to the ER and by that time I couldn't lift my arms or legs. I couldn't smile or make any facial movements. My speech was very difficult for me. Bottom line, the CT & MRI showed no sign of stroke and blood work showed dangerously low potassium.

Comment from: nanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was in the hospital on with a potassium level of 1.9. I felt very weak. The ER doctor told me that my potassium was a very dangerous level and my EKG was normal. Today still feel weak. Now my right shin area is numb and is still holding fluid.

Comment from: sandirella, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have not seen mention of water levels in the body. My feet and legs kept swelling and holding water. I was even having trouble breathing. I am chronically low on Potassium. The symptoms usually start with nausea, diarrhea and mind problems. Mine was a 2.2 the last time. I wound up in the hospital several times. I need to be on regular treatment due to my diet.

Comment from: teach329, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I went for blood work for my four-month follow up visit from my PCP. A few hours after the blood work, the doctor called me to say that I had 'dangerously low' potassium levels and that I should go to the Emergency Room to get an IV of potassium. Nine hours later and 2 bags of IV potassium, I was finally a 3.2.

Comment from: Boosis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I was rushed by ambulance to hospital. My potassium level was zero. I had been suffering from cramping in my fingers and toes to start. Over the next few weeks, I lost all use of my arms and legs and had constant hallucinations. My mother dropped by on her way to work and found me collapsed on the floor of the bathroom. After a week in hospital they sent me for a CT scan and my heart stopped. After many tests, they still haven't diagnosed me. I still don't have full use of my arms and legs, and I can't walk. I have only been home from hospital for eight weeks but constant physio helps and I no longer have hallucinations.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Potassium

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic kidney disease causes are diseases of the kidne...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Causes

What was the cause of your low potassium?

From WebMD