Viewer Comments: Low Potassium - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

Comment from: Precy, (Patient) Published: July 07

I felt dizzy, weak as if I didn't have enough strength, I didn't know what to do, my head and eyes were heavy, so I decided to go to my doctor, and he advised me to have my lab checkup. When I saw the results it was low potassium which is 3.46 and high uric acid 454.58 UMOL/L and my ALT (SGPT) U/L is 41.23, and all others are normal. I submitted the result next day, it happened every day especially in the morning after exercise.

Comment from: GARRETT77, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 24

I am weak with explosive diarrhea due to ulcerative colitis, which has caused hypokalemia. My tongue has been tingling and I have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. My muscles in my legs have also been twitching.

Comment from: Gerry, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My sister began having cramps in her fingers, rapid heart rate, breathlessness, slurred speech, and vomiting. She has been hospitalized three times now with potassium levels below 3. Due to the vomiting she has had to take potassium intravenously. Still potassium levels are low. Vomiting has stopped after third hospitalization but no reason offered for continued low potassium levels. She also has low magnesium, and low chloride levels. One doctor has attributed her present problems to the removal of one thyroid over 20 years ago. In addition to that she has huge ulcers on both sides her two legs. My concern is the apparent leaching of potassium from her body. No possible reasons given for the ulcers which had healed but reopened when she became ill recently.

Comment from: Crafter44, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have not been diagnosed with hypokalemia (yet), but I have all the symptoms. I keep telling my doctor how tired I get, I get so tired that I cannot function, my body just doesn't want to move. When I am driving I will get so tired that my eyes will want to close, I have to force myself to keep the eyes open until I get to my destination. Then about an hour or so later I'll be fine. I have had blood clots in my left leg twice. My leg gets tired and sore in the locations where the blood clots were. My doctor just doesn't seem to listen to me. I don't sleep at night either. I have restless leg syndrome and sleep apnea. I am so tired, I know there is something wrong but no one goes that extra step to find it. I'm at my wits' end.

Comment from: Sikuku, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I thought I was having anxiety attacks. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath even though I was breathing fine. I had pain on the far left side of my chest, it started intermittently but then became constant. I felt like my heart was racing most of the time. If felt similar to indigestion also; a fullness at the level of the diaphragm. I was tired all the time. Just felt terrible. At this point, there is still no discernible cause for my hypokalemia.

Comment from: Kenairiverbandit, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I work as a roustabout in the oil and gas industry and many times find myself not taking breaks with the rest of the crew every 3 hours. That is a great time to rehydrate and or get some vitamins and minerals back into the body that were used up during the working period. Last weekend I didn't know if I was having a stroke or a heart attack or allergic reaction to something I ate. I woke my boss and the operations crew up early to get me a chopper ride right to the hospital. I was literally scared that I was going to die or wake up in the hospital not being able to speak or move one side of my body. I got to the hospital and after running the tests on my EKG, blood tests etc., the doctor tells me that the only thing he can find wrong was a low potassium level of 3.3. I felt all the symptoms that are listed in this website. We are all afforded the opportunity to eat right and take reasonable breaks. I am not one to visit the doctor unless something happens hence I don't go in for any once a year health exams. I am going to get annual checkups now and eat much better. I would suggest anybody with similar concerns be diligent in not letting their health slip. We guys don't need doctors until something happens. It may be too late when it does happen so get checked out once or more times, even if you think it is nothing.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Potassium

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Causes

What was the cause of your low potassium?

Low Potassium - Medical Treatment

What treatments were effective in treating low potassium or hypokalemia?