Viewer Comments: Low Potassium - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

Comment from: No mo bloats!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had chronic abdominal bloating and cramps, and tingling in fingers arms. Doctor arranged for me to have my potassium levels checked, and it showed that I was indeed low in potassium. For three weeks, I stopped taking a diuretic plus ate 2 bananas a day. I will have another check this week to ensure potassium level is back to normal.

Comment from: Gippy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

First I took blood pressure pills that reduced water. My potassium dropped (which I didn't know at the time). My heart went into SVTs (supraventricular tachycardia). My rate was immeasurable and could best be described as in a flutter. I was given Adenocard to reset my rhythm. I am glad it worked but very scary stuff. This happened 3 times over a month before it was found my potassium was low. I went back on beta blockers, problem solved. I had been sick, and I went into SVT. I stopped at drug store and took some potassium pills, and it cleared right up. I had diarrhea recently, again SVT, again potassium, again ok; so far!

Comment from: Mouse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My symptoms of low potassium are rapid and erratic heartbeat. My heart beat will range from 95 to 130 beats and will change very rapidly, every second. I also experience dizziness. It started about 5 years ago while taking a diuretic. I had an episode today, and I took my potassium medication to stop it. I am also not currently taking diuretics.

Comment from: brenenpam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

Low potassium was the cause of a lot of my aches and pains that I had been writing off as getting older. I take a high blood pressure pill with a water pill in it. This caused my potassium levels to drop to very low levels. I now take 30 mg of potassium a day so I don't I get the following symptoms. I have tiredness and swollen ankles, and my hips, shoulders and fingers hurt very badly. At times it is difficult to walk. My heart races while in bed. I don't notice it during the day. But as long as I keep up my 30 mg of potassium a day, I am fine.

Comment from: Deedee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had a cortisone shot for nerve pain in my back and leg. The next morning I was almost paralyzed. I was carried to the emergency room and could not walk or use my arms. I could barely lift a finger because of hypokalemia. They pumped potassium into my body for 4 days in ICU. I was in danger of my heart stopping. I went home and felt ill again so they put me back in the hospital for a few more days with too much potassium. Scary!

Comment from: DMMC, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 14. Since than she has been in and out of hospitals with low or high blood sugar. She is 30 now and while she was pregnant with her first child she developed gastroparesis where she can't tolerate liquids or food and vomits everything up. After the baby was born after 30 weeks healthy and normal, it seemed to disappear. Now the baby is 3 and it has started all over again. She's now in the hospital after numerous times with this and her potassium was so low they had to give her 6 IV bags of it and it is still low. They told her to try that V8 juice to see if it does anything once she's out. This is so scary because it seems there is no cure for this gastroparesis and she can't live a normal life and do things to enjoy her baby with. It is horrible seeing your child go through these things and there's nothing you can do about it.

Comment from: JLW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

Severe dry mouth was my symptom of low potassium. I take stool softeners with laxative because of pain killer use. I also take small dose of water pill for swelling in legs.

Comment from: Rschillereff, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

This is the second time this has happened to me. My legs hurt and for some reason I could not hold my head up. I tried to drive home from work and kept falling asleep at the wheel and had to stop and pull over. My husband found me hours and hours later. I never heard my phone ring, nothing. I had taken a water pill because my legs were swollen and just now kind of figured out for myself that what had happened was hypokalemia.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Potassium

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic kidney disease causes are diseases of the kidne...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Causes

What was the cause of your low potassium?

Low Potassium - Medical Treatment

What treatments were effective in treating low potassium or hypokalemia?