Viewer Comments: Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Causes

What was the cause of your low potassium?

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I had severe acute pancreatitis with acute kidney failure.

Comment from: Nanner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have had Crohn's disease for 30+ years and just recently diagnosed with dangerously low potassium. I immediately took high doses of potassium and will be rechecked in 2 days. My symptoms were no appetite, extreme fatigue, diarrhea, muscle cramping, and numbness in my arms and hands. If I had not had routine blood test who knows what would have happened?

Comment from: Trina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I take diuretics for Meniere's disease. I started to feel as though I was having a heart attack. I was admitted to hospital to find out my potassium was dangerously low. From now on I will make it my mission to eat foods high in potassium.

Comment from: k, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

After a whole day of tennis tournament and a total of five games in a very hot Philippine weather and excessive sweating, I had fever, feeling of weakness, palpitations, hands, legs and head cramps. I even felt that I was about to collapse, that's the worst symptoms of hypokalemia to me. When my doctor sent me to sodium and potassium tests, the result shows that my potassium level was 2.8 and I was treated with potassium supplements. This condition is very scary and as it affects our heart and cell functions so I'd like to share this experience to you.

Comment from: MISS AJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My potassium dropped to 2.5 because I was suffering from an undiagnosed case of esophageal candidiasis.

Comment from: phillee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Due to taking a diuretic for Meniere's disease, I lost too much potassium.

Comment from: Abbey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I urinate a lot at night. My last sugar level test puts me on the border line. I believe my frequent urination is making me eliminate my potassium. I have been on 10mg of Norvasc for the past 15 years. I am 53 and my muscles twitch. I feel dizzy momentarily during the day. I have been eating right ever since my potassium came back at 3.0 a second time. I have made V8 part of my diet now since I heard about it here. Thanks to you guys!

Comment from: rockinrobyn_2002, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My entire life (I am now 28) I have had severe muscle cramps in my legs and feet. As a child this would happen nightly. My mother would say "eat a banana." I ate a lot of bananas and it never helped. A few years ago I went to the doctor with heart palpitations. I went through seven months of testing with the doctors saying my heart looked fine and they said stress was causing this. I eventually went to the ER because my muscles in my arms and legs cramped up and I couldn't even move, while at work. The doctor in the ER said my potassium was very low, treated that and since have been taking supplements. I still occasionally have the palpitations but not as bad as before.

Comment from: Marsha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My low potassium is due to adrenal gland tumors.

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: March 19

In February of this year I had surgery to repair my hiatal hernia. I did fine with the surgery, but about six hours later my fingers started tingling and the right side of my face and across my nose and down my throat was numb. I had a nurse who acted like he was scared to death and wouldn't get help. My potassium had bottomed out.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Potassium

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic kidney disease causes are diseases of the kidne...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?