Viewer Comments: Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

Comment from: psuandme53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had two TIAs (mini strokes) in the course of one month. Upon taking blood in the hospital they found low potassium levels. I started taking potassium pills in the hospital and followed up with my family doctor. It is still low but not as low as it was in the hospital. I couldn't understand why I was so tired and why my legs ached constantly and sometimes my left leg would just go numb and would have a tingling sensation in it. I now take blood tests once a month to monitor my potassium level. It is just as scary to have the low potassium levels as it was to have the two mini strokes. I am 58 years old, and I want to live a lot longer. I am adjusting to this new setback but also taking preventive measures to make sure that I am around to see my grandson graduate from college in about 10 years.

Comment from: dicahur, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

My chiropractor gave me the V8 vegetable juice test. For two months, I had all the symptoms of low/lack of potassium. I was in the hospital for three days with palpitations, muscles spasms, weakness, etc. The results of the EKGs, MRIs, CAT scans, and blood tests came back normal, so they sent me home diagnosed with a bad case of anxiety. Two days later, the spasms got worse, and I couldn't walk or talk. Desperate, I went to see my chiropractor. He gave me a can of V8 vegetable juice. Ten minutes later, I was feeling like new. He said that it was a lack of potassium. It took seven days to get rid of the symptoms, but now I feel much, much better. However, I have noticed that if I do a little bit too much, the twitching and the palpitations tend to come back, but they go away as soon as I drink a big glass of V8 and some raisins. What concerns me the most is that my family doctor does not believe everything was caused by lack of potassium because, according to her, the blood tests show that everything was normal (3.6 mg of potassium). My theory is that 3.6 mg is low for me even though that amount is within the "normal" range for potassium.

Comment from: enigma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia, and low potassium. I have been hospitalized on many occasions for passing out or partial paralysis only to be sent home with the same MRI, CAT scan, etc tests being normal just like some of you. It is unsettling to have a doctor tell you you're fine or maybe just having a little "anxiety attackā€ when you know something is wrong with you. I take potassium pills every day, but sometimes it doesn't help. I will now do the V8 juice daily thanks to the caring individual who shared that info here! Each person has different levels that are "normal." I am grateful to this website because when my doctor couldn't help, you all did. Thank you!

Comment from: h1103ramki, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Seven months ago I underwent angioplasty. Attending doctor found from the blood test report that my potassium level is higher (5.9). I was advised potassium free diet which I religiously follow. The potassium level checked on 21st September 2015 was 5.4 (a reduction of 0.4 points). But I now feel that the flow of urine takes a longer time due to low pressure so however I am able to clear the bladder after 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

Comment from: gargoyle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I was admitted for the insertion of a stent and when the blood tests were done. It was discovered that I had low potassium levels and pumped two bags into my body through the IV.

Comment from: nancyp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Two months ago, at work, I collapsed with sudden cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation. After several cardiac testing procedures, my low potassium level noted at admission has been blamed. I am currently taking 4 Klor-Con M20 per day to keep my level up.

Comment from: ellie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was at home with my daughter one night and had chest pains and difficulty breathing. I went to the urgent care was because I am asthmatic and thought I was having an attack. When I arrived there, my oxygen levels were low and they prescribed Advair and albuterol after giving me a chest x-ray that showed nothing. When I went home I didn't feel much better so decided to follow up with my doctor. It turns out after a blood test, that the symptoms I was having when I went to the urgent care were due to the fact my potassium was a 2.0, and they never realized because they never gave me blood test. So always check out symptoms not all are the same, if you have any similar to mine you may be experiencing low potassium.

Comment from: Breezy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I became paralyzed and was take to hospital. I could not move my arms, hands, legs and feet. My level was 1.2. The doctor told my daughter I should have had a stroke with how low my potassium levels were, so I spent four days in hospital. I have been sent home with a prescription for potassium. I do not wish what I went through on my worst enemy.

Must Read Articles Related to Low Potassium

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic kidney disease causes are diseases of the kidne...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Causes

What was the cause of your low potassium?

Low Potassium - Medical Treatment

What treatments were effective in treating low potassium or hypokalemia?