Viewer Comments: Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

...
Comment from: H, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

First time I suffered from hypokalemia I was 15 years old. I started getting, what I though, growth pain in my legs. It hurt more and more, until the day I suddenly fell to the ground. I got up, walked a few meters and fell to the ground again. I couldn't walk at all after this. I was rushed to the emergency where they noticed my potassium was at a low-low 1.1. I had to stay for over a week in intensive care. This has since then happened 4 times, about 4 to 5 years between. My potassium is most often around 1, 5-1, and 8 when I get to the emergency clinic. I now notice the tingling feeling and stiffness before it gets too low.

Comment from: Maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I noticed my blood pressure not lowering and staying at 148/90 so I got worried and went to the doctor. I also started feeling heart palpitations. More so when I would lie down of relax. I got the blood results and my potassium is 3.2 which is lower than normal. Previously I was taking water pills. About 5 months ago I took potassium supplements and I'm still low. I'm also experiencing headaches. I guess I have to take supplements again.

Comment from: Sonja, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I started having symptoms of unusually high levels of bloating, and unable to put my rings on. I also noticed right-sided pain at times in my gallbladder area. I have been tired, and lately have been waking up at night with numbness and tingling in my arms. I have been taking multi-vitamins and vitamin D3 supplements, so I had no idea that I was potassium deficient. I finally went to the doctor after I was gaining weight rapidly, and my stomach looked like I was 5 months pregnant. I also noticed that my heart rate was much higher than normal throughout the day. I wear an Apple watch, and it monitors it frequently. After I went to the doctor, he thought my symptoms were due to irritable bowel syndrome. I got my blood work done, and it showed that my potassium was low and I had hypokalemia. I am still waiting to see how he will manage that, but I did find potassium supplements to take, and I will drink Smart water. Hopefully my doctor will find out what is causing the low potassium.

Comment from: meunknown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had severe joint pain for a month and a half; no idea what caused it. It started in my feet, moved up to my knees, hips, arms, shoulders, wrists and fingers. I would wake up with my joints so stiff and painful it would take 20 minutes for me to get moving off my bed! I couldn't lift my hands above my head, couldn't put on my bra, it hurt to sit, hurt to get up, and hurt to stand. I tried cutting out sugar, gluten, and other known allergens. I tried different supplements and nothing worked. Then I bought a coconut at the store because my kids hadn't had real coconut before. They were all excited to try the coconut water, but they didn't like it, so I drank it. The next day I wasn't so sore, so I drank the rest of the coconut water and improvement the next day also! So I went to the health food store and bought coconut water. I drink a glass every day. And now I can walk, run, play with my kids, dress myself! I still have occasional stiffness in my hands, but nothing like it was before. I know that coconut water has a lot of potassium in it and although my potassium levels were never checked, I was tested for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, both which came back negative.

Comment from: ckhypokgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I went to the emergency room with a headache on the left side of my head. I told the doctor that my blood thinner levels had been unstable for the last month and I was extremely hyperthyroid, but my medicines had been adjusted. They did blood tests and an MRI. My MRI was clear, I was still hyperthyroid and I had low potassium, 3.0. They started me on potassium chloride and after 1 week the headache went away. After 2 months, I take a lower dose, but I'm not doing so well right now, I think my potassium is dropping again.

Comment from: Liam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I have been diagnosed with low potassium (hypokalemia) and the doctors failed to make a definitive diagnosis as to its underlying cause. It turns out the real culprit was something called hyperaldosteronism. It is a disorder which is defined by the body's overproduction of aldosterone, a hormone that controls sodium and potassium levels in the blood. Its overproduction leads to retention of salt and loss of potassium, which leads to hypertension (high blood pressure).

Comment from: Nosymptongirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My low potassium (hypokalemia) was discovered from a routine blood test. My potassium was around a 2.0 but I felt fine. I always workout for 4 straight hours on Saturdays with no issues. I do a lot of athletic races including a couple half marathons and several triathlons. Maybe I'm just lucky. My doctor did start me on high doses of potassium, but no matter how much I consumed, my number was still low. So instead I take 30 mg of amiloride, which blocks potassium from leaving your body. I feel no different with or without medication but I suppose it's the safe thing to do.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Low Potassium

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste, is caused by
  • prerenal,
  • postrenal, or
  • renal problems with the ki...
learn more >>
Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Low Potassium (Hypokalemia):

Low Potassium - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your low potassium (hypokalemia)?

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Causes

What was the cause of your low potassium?

Low Potassium - Medical Treatment

What treatments were effective in treating low potassium or hypokalemia?