Lumbar Laminectomy (cont.)
Recovery at Home
- You can do several things to make your recovery at home easier.
- Move groceries, toiletries, and other supplies to places between the level of your hip and shoulder where you can reach them without bending over.
- Make sure someone can drive you around for one to two weeks after surgery and to help with chores and errands.
- Buy a pair of slip-on shoes with closed backs to make dressing easier and to minimize bending over.
- Short frequent walks each day may reduce your pain as well as speed your recovery.
- Typically, if you have a sedentary job, you may return to work in one to two weeks. A person with a more strenuous job may have to remain off work for two to four months.
- As your back heals, you may feel ready to have sex. This is usually fine. Choose a position that puts as little pressure on your back as possible.
- Side positions or lying on your back are generally acceptable.
- Avoid putting pressure on your back or arching your back during sex.
- Do not drive a car for one to two weeks, or as long as you are taking any medication that makes you drowsy.
Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Klippel, J.H., et al. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. New York: Springer, 2008.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/20/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Lumbar Laminectomy
Cauda Equina Syndrome
The spinal cord extends from the brain down through the spinal canal inside the vertebral column. The spinal cord is surrounded by dural sacs, which are extensi...learn more >>
Sciatica is lower back pain with pain that radiates through the buttocks and down one leg. Common causes include herniated disc, spinal stenosis, piriformis syn...learn more >>
An abnormal, injured, or degenerated vertebral disk that has protruded against nerve fibers is called a slipped, prolapsed, ruptured, or herniated disk. A slipp...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy: