Lumbar Laminectomy (cont.)
Recovery at Home
- You can do several things to make your recovery at home easier.
- Move groceries, toiletries, and other supplies to places between the level of your hip and shoulder where you can reach them without bending over.
- Make sure someone can drive you around for one to two weeks after surgery and to help with chores and errands.
- Buy a pair of slip-on shoes with closed backs to make dressing easier and to minimize bending over.
- Short frequent walks each day may reduce your pain as well as speed your recovery.
- Typically, if you have a sedentary job, you may return to work in one to two weeks. A person with a more strenuous job may have to remain off work for two to four months.
- As your back heals, you may feel ready to have sex. This is usually fine. Choose a position that puts as little pressure on your back as possible.
- Side positions or lying on your back are generally acceptable.
- Avoid putting pressure on your back or arching your back during sex.
- Do not drive a car for one to two weeks, or as long as you are taking any medication that makes you drowsy.
Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Klippel, J.H., et al. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. New York: Springer, 2008.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/20/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Lumbar Laminectomy
Cauda Equina Syndrome
Cauda equina syndrome is a condition that involves severe compression and inflammation of the nerves in the the lower spine. Cauda equina syndrome requires emer...learn more >>
Sciatica is lower back pain with pain that radiates through the buttocks and down one leg. Common causes include herniated disc, spinal stenosis, piriformis syn...learn more >>
An abnormal, injured, or degenerated vertebral disk that has protruded against nerve fibers is called a slipped, prolapsed, ruptured, or herniated disk. A slipp...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy: